Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Rep Jordan saying Mr Hall is a witness called by the Dems and not the joint committee. That statement carries a direct implication on Mr Halls presence as a testifying witness at the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

The fact that he needed 4 short lines of text written out in front of him in a manner suitable for a 12 year old speaks volumes about his ability should he ever end up under oath.

I am getting greatly interested in the identity of the [intelligence community] whistleblower as the community description covers a multitude of the White House staff in and around the 25th July and I wonder if he/she is still on the staff there or had left the staff some months back. A large part of the testimony regarding the whistleblower identifies him/her as being from that community.

rosser44 wrote: »
    The fact that he needed 4 short lines of text written out in front of him in a manner suitable for a 12 year old speaks volumes about his ability should he ever end up under oath.

I've always wondered why he uses a large nib pen when he's signing bills etc in the Oval Office for the media to photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The R's are actually an embarassment. Wenstrump blathering on about anti-tank stuff now.

• Advertisement

This format is pretty rubbish really. I'd much prefer if they gave more time over to each sides' respective counsels.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“According to Schiff’s theory, [denying a White House visit to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky] would be enough to impeach the president because it’s technical violation of the bribery statute,” McCarthy said. “But I think we all know, a technical violation of the bribery statute is not going to do the trick. If he’s wrong about that, that is, if making out a technical violation of the bribery statute is not enough to trigger impeachment, that begs the question then — what is enough?”

At least Trumpworld admits now there was Bribery.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-chris-wallace-shoots-down-pro-trump-impeachment-spin-from-fox-analysts-ken-starr-andy-mccarthy/

I shouldn't be surprised the whole Republican spin on this is because Trump (Jessup) didn't tell Sondland (Downey) directly that he had ordered the code red, and instead the agenda was relayed through Giuliani (Kendrick) - 'therefore that proves a negative: Jessup didn't order the code red. Case closed!' *sigh*

I'm still trying to catch up with Sondland from this morning. Nunes and counsel appeared to blunder their entire first 45 minutes with waffle about the Bidens and not actually asking the witness anything he could speak factually to, it was essentially just Nunes going 'bla bla Biden bad bla bla Mr Sondland were you aware Biden eats babies?' "No I am not." 'you're not! That proves it all right there! That's exactly why they won't let us hear from them!!' and Castor just emphasized that Sondland's fluid testimony is a direct result of the White House seizing all of his data, he has no notes or work related materials like other witnesses enjoyed.

The Republicans word of the day is "javelin".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wenbstrup loves telling everyone he served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

jooksavage wrote: »
    The Republicans word of the day is "javelin".

They seem to be trying to say that, irrespective of what shenannigans Rudy might have got up to on Trump's behalf, and accusations of holding up aid to Ukraine, Trump still had provided Ukraine with Javelins, while Obama's regime refused to provide them.

Fair Play to Denny Heck... He's been a very strong voice in support of witnesses on this committee...

I once had a very loyal terrier... He was a brilliant ratter... I liked him, coz he was my dog, and got the job done!

Everyone else hated him, coz he was a vicious little ****er and would snap at his own shadow...

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have called him Spot....

I would have called him Gym Jordan...

The Jim Jordan act has gotten fairly stale. It goes to show how much self-respect, or how few ideas, the R committee members have when they're offering their time to a guy who was drafted in because he's better at creating talking points for Hannity than the rest of them.

get ready for more of him - this isn't even his normal committee, they played rulegames to shoe him in for the cameras. I think Jordan is their 2020/2024 Plan B - well scratch that, the primary challengers are Plan B and there's a reason those challengers aren't getting the full RINO assault.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I am getting greatly interested in the identity of the [intelligence community] whistleblower as the community description covers a multitude of the White House staff in and around the 25th July and I wonder if he/she is still on the staff there or had left the staff some months back. A large part of the testimony regarding the whistleblower identifies him/her as being from that community.

He was outed weeks ago on various Right Wing sites... I won't repeat either the name or the organisation for which he works here..

A simple Google search will probably provide the name, not that it will do much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

It's still just a bunch of assumptions, Nobody has said yet the president ordered the money to be withheld from Ukraine, Sondland can assume all he want's but there's still no evidence to say it was a presidential order.

All that would be necessary to prove this would be for the person who ordered the hold to testify to that- or even to make a public statement to that effect, if they don't want to go under oath. Or for Trump to point the finger at that person. They haven't and he hasn't. Doesn't that fact worry you a little?
    “President Trump, when I asked him the open-ended question, as I testified previously, ‘What do you want from Ukraine?’ His answer was, ‘I want nothing, I want no quid pro quo. Tell Zelensky to do the right thing.‘ That’s all I got from President Trump.”

What did I miss in that statement?

The timing. Trump was by then aware of the whistle blower complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nunes will have a hard time attacking this guy's character should Parmas attend

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1197323970158219264?s=19

As an aside, Nunes looked extra shaky yesterday. I wonder if he found this out before the hearings...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

everlast75 wrote: »
    As an aside, Nunes looked extra shaky yesterday. I wonder if he found this out before the hearings...

This was brilliant to see yesterday

https://twitter.com/tomigun67/status/1197184330331803649

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump jnr also outed the whistleblower on Twitter.

So the last pillar of defense appears to be that Trump knew nothing about it as Sondland didn't get the order from there. Even then it is admitting Trump has lost authority within his own administration for Rudi to go off on his own like that.

The Whitehouse continues to block people from giving evidence. Given that we know quid pro quo happened what is the justification for it? I guess it is like the continued dismissal of Mueller's job in spite of all the people he brought to justice.

Seriously we know have it that the people might be able to testify that Trump did not know about it are being blocked from testifying by Trump. If they were going to say good things they would have been out there by now.

They still won't impeach and heay get reelected cos of the R next to his name but it is pathetic and sad at this point.

Oh and he is to insecure to wear glasses as well given he had a speech written in sharpie. Beyond a joke that the most powerful man in the world needed a sharpie written speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Christy42 wrote: »
    Trump jnr also outed the whistleblower on Twitter.

So the last pillar of defense appears to be that Trump knew nothing about it as Sondland didn't get the order from there. Even then it is admitting Trump has lost authority within his own administration for Rudi to go off on his own like that.

The Whitehouse continues to block people from giving evidence. Given that we know quid pro quo happened what is the justification for it? I guess it is like the continued dismissal of Mueller's job in spite of all the people he brought to justice.

Seriously we know have it that the people might be able to testify that Trump did not know about it are being blocked from testifying by Trump. If they were going to say good things they would have been out there by now.

They still won't impeach and heay get reelected cos of the R next to his name but it is pathetic and sad at this point.

Oh and he is to insecure to wear glasses as well given he had a speech written in sharpie. Beyond a joke that the most powerful man in the world needed a sharpie written speech.

I've no issue with him using notes with sharpies, wearing glasses doesn't look presidential when facing a crisis. They're just notes.

The delicious irony is that in seeking to insert Ukraine influence from dubious sources into the 2016 presidential race, he's now put it up front and centre for the 2020 election race to be used against him. I think a combination of hubris, willingness to believe alt right conspiracies that are frankly a joke, very poor political judgement and a lack of attention to any sort of detail has landed himself in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I've no issue with him using notes with sharpies, wearing glasses doesn't look presidential when facing a crisis. They're just notes.

The delicious irony is that in seeking to insert Ukraine influence from dubious sources into the 2016 presidential race, he's now put it up front and centre for the 2020 election race to be used against him. I think a combination of hubris, willingness to believe alt right conspiracies that are frankly a joke, very poor political judgement and a lack of attention to any sort of detail has landed himself in this mess.

Is there actually any evidence of Biden's son doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

woohoo!!! wrote: »

Of course it looks presidential. You need them, wear them. Common sense 101. There is no need for a president to look like a hard man at every opportunity. There is a need for them to look like they know what they are doing. Not using them is childish vanity. Does the man use them for important documents? Can he read official documents in meetings or do they just print out every small paragraph as a large pamphlet for.him to read and not feel insecure?

Not sure too many would agree that teddy looked unpresidential by the way
    https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/theodore-roosevelt.jpg

Obviously the Ukraine is the bigger issue but this entire administration is just so bloody stupid. It is like they are going out of their way to look like they don't know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pompeo's presser. Said he didn't hear Sondland, talked about NATO related stuff. Took a swipe at the journalist asking him questions, keeping in fine teamTrump tradition:
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-pompeo-dismisses-amb-sondlands-testimony-on-ukraine

https://www.ft.com/content/c46c45a0-0bd3-11ea-bb52-34c8d9dc6d84

Is there actually any evidence of Biden's son doing wrong?
    None produced so far and I'm guessing they've been looking hard. The facts don't fit in with agenda.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Of course it looks presidential. You need them, wear them. Common sense 101. There is no need for a president to look like a hard man at every opportunity. There is a need for them to look like they know what they are doing. Not using them is childish vanity. Does the man use them for important documents? Can he read official documents in meetings or do they just print out every small paragraph as a large pamphlet for.him to read and not feel insecure?

Not sure too many would agree that teddy looked unpresidential by the way
    https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/theodore-roosevelt.jpg

Obviously the Ukraine is the bigger issue but this entire administration is just so bloody stupid. It is like they are going out of their way to look like they don't know what they are doing.
    Sure but I think putting in contacts would be beyond his ability. And his ego prevents him from wearing glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Would that be a HC type patsy or an Obama type patsy, you know the kind that sent thoughts and prayers to fight Russian tanks.

But but but I thought they were both warmongers? How can they be war mongers if they just send thoughts and prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Couple of things.

1st, this notion, still parroted by some posters here that no QPQ has been shown. Mulvaney already admitted that it occurred. The only question is how much Trump was involved.

2nd, why are the likes of Parnas, Rudy, Flynn etc being used. Does the US have no diplomatic core at all? All this military spending, all this bravado and it seems that if they want to get in touch with a foreign government they need to go through a third party, ie Farage in the UK.

Ne would seriously question the power and reach that the US actually has if it is basically resorting to looking up the local 'guy in the know' to try to get things working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Couple of things.

1st, this notion, still parroted by some posters here that no QPQ has been shown. Mulvaney already admitted that it occurred. The only question is how much Trump was involved.

Has anyone asked why all these Trump associates would engage in such dubious and risky behaviour without the explicit go-ahead from Trump? What was the benefit to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

B0jangles wrote: »
    Has anyone asked why all these Trump associates would engage in such dubious and risky behaviour without the explicit go-ahead from Trump? What was the benefit to them?

Quite a bit of hypocrisy from the democrats. They also engaged in all sorts of underhanded and potentially illegal behaviour in the same timeframe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement