Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I saw the clip from fox and friends of trump calling in to rant but I've now seen it went on for 53 minutes. I'm not a big fan of fox and friends but even I wouldn't wish them 53 minutes of trump. Was any of it even remotely lucid ?

Well the guardian has a write up, where the headline item is that he said to want a trial.
    “We wanna call the whistleblower. But you know who I want as the first witness, because frankly, I want a trial,” Trump said.

“You want a trial?” the Fox & Friends host Brian Kilmeade asked incredulously.

“Oh I would …” Trump said, before trailing off and then beginning an attack on Schiff.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/22/donald-trump-resurfaces-debunked-theory-ukraine-interfered-2016-election

But then 538 shows the polls have dropped in terms of impeachment support so who knows anymore what might play. Other tidbits include that he...
    Claimed, without evidence, that he was trying to root out corruption in Ukraine when he withheld aid over the summer.

Claimed he was the reason China had not taken steps to crush pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

Said government officials had praised the former Ukraine ambassador Marie Yovanovitch – a highly regarded diplomat whom Trump has repeatedly smeared – because “she’s a woman, you have to be nice”.

Complained that Yovanovitch, who has served presidents in both parties, was “an Obama person” and took too long to hang his picture in the Ukraine embassy.

Called the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, the top woman in Congress, “crazy as a bedbug”.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Had a look at Giuliani's twitter feed out of curiosity. Wild doesn't cover it and judging by the volume of likes, a large number of folk lap it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

On the portrait complaint Trump has. I'll have to dig out the article but apparently no embassy worldwide even were in receipt of the portraits for that time period due to Trump not making himself available to sit for it.

He really is a special kind of plank

• Registered Users Posts: 39,918 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

duploelabs wrote: »
    On the portrait complaint Trump has. I'll have to dig out the article but apparently no embassy worldwide even were in receipt of the portraits for that time period due to Trump not making himself available to sit for it.

Yeah he didn’t sit for a portrait so if he’s complaining about nobody putting up a picture in the embassy, it would help to have a bloody picture to put up. The SNL writers don’t even have to try with trump as the comedy writes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Yeah he didn’t sit for a portrait so if he’s complaining about nobody putting up a picture in the embassy, it would help to have a bloody picture to put up. The SNL writers don’t even have to try with trump as the comedy writes itself.

This article explains the delays.. All down to Trump and Pence....
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/after-nine-months-federal-offices-are-still-waiting-to-hang-trumps-picture/2017/09/11/b36025c0-94b5-11e7-aace-04b862b2b3f3_story.html

Further proof (as though that was needed! !!) of a chaotic administration run by a chaotic mind...

• Advertisement

I was just watching a YouTube clip from Chris Hayes of MSNBC and he mentions crowdstrike which to be honest I wasn't sure exactly what it was or wasn't. According to Chris Hayes crowdstrike is an American cyber security company which did the initial check of the DNC server and confirmed it was hacked by the Russians and also it has a contract with the RNC as we speak. It's a very helpful video honestly because I was confused, but when you know the facts it make trump and the GOP look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wouldn't trust Parnas as far as i could throw him, so he needs to bring receipts. Nunes has questions to answer here. If this is true, for him to stay mute on this topic during the impeachment is outrageous.

In other news...

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1197985516047806464?s=19

Again, to be confirmed, but if the article is correct, what other conspiracy theories are there that Trump supporters have left to crow on about?

It doesn’t matter: Fox/Trump already has ticker tape and confetti ready for the release of the Horowitz report. They will play up the one indictment for all its worth (and much more)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

duploelabs wrote: »

A plank? What profile do you have in mind sir?

Are we talking hardwood or softwood? Should we remove the nails or perhaps a crown of thorns would sit well......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well the guardian has a write up, where the headline item is that he said to want a trial.

"Claimed, without evidence, that he was trying to root out corruption in Ukraine when he withheld aid over the summer.

Claimed he was the reason China had not taken steps to crush pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

Said government officials had praised the former Ukraine ambassador Marie Yovanovitch – a highly regarded diplomat whom Trump has repeatedly smeared – because “she’s a woman, you have to be nice”.

Complained that Yovanovitch, who has served presidents in both parties, was “an Obama person” and took too long to hang his picture in the Ukraine embassy.

Called the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, the top woman in Congress, “crazy as a bedbug”.

He's "speaking his mind", which his supporters apparently love. It doesn't seem to matter to them it's often a thick slew of falsehoods, prejudiced opinion, casual sexism, baseless attacks and assorted nonsense (and that's just referencing his Fox and Friends call)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Had a look at Giuliani's twitter feed out of curiosity. Wild doesn't cover it and judging by the volume of likes, a large number of folk lap it up

Yes most definitely there is folks on there giving supportive comments but don't mistake the volume. I keep saying this there is a disinformation war playing out. Alot of these guys have bots all over their every comment pushing a positive narrative as if there is more support than normal. It's to insure any fence sitters reading them believe that perhaps they are missing out and they should support then I mean look at all the supportive comments... They can't all be wrong.

This plays out across all social medias and it also reinforces the hard core folks to make sure they don't waver .

We've a few of them on here probably bath in the bots comments thinking there is a real body behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I was watching CNN interview a former GOP congressman, Joe Walsh, about the average GOP voter and two poll support figures for Don [reading at 90% support and 91% he's doing a good job] and he said he didn't believe the polls, that he had been canvassing in the Iowa elections and the feedback he got from GOP voters there was that they knew Don had done wrong but were unsure of what it was. Joe blamed Hannity and his lies for this, using the word "lies" twice after the name HANNITY as the cause.

Umm, CNN newsroom just reported the State Dept has released a statement that Secretary Pompeo spoke with Rudy Giuliani in connection with the Ukraine matter, to which statement Rudy is reported to have said "that is NOT true, I can make my own calls" [whatever that means].

The initial CNN report is followed up with one that the White House helped arrange a call between Giuliani and Pompeo. Rudy is on a CNN news recording of an interview between him and a CNN reporter on a street denying the truth of the State Dept statement, but making the "I can make my own calls" statement on that CNN recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    He's "speaking his mind", which his supporters apparently love. It doesn't seem to matter to them it's often a thick slew of falsehoods, prejudiced opinion, casual sexism, baseless attacks and assorted nonsense (and that's just referencing his Fox and Friends call)

Despite the fact that Trump's phone-ins to Fox contain many tens of lies per hour, the way it's presented by him, and enabled by his White House propagandists and his Fox News sycophants (NOT all Fox News to be clear, in fairness to the few honest journos who are left there), it's actually unfair to castigate his supporters for being led so much astray.

For a variety of reasons, many (if not most) of those supporters only access the likes of Fox News for their information, and therefore it is highly disturbing, but understandable, that their thinking is coloured by what they hear from the likes of Kilmeade, Hannity, Carlson and others. The fault here lies not with the listener, but with the purveyor of the lies and deceit, and the media outlets that facilitate those lies..

Sadly, this is a huge downside of the great freedoms that were intended by the 1st Amendment provisions that guaranteed freedom of speech and the rights of the Press.

The challenge for those who want to change this status quo is to find ways and means to negate the lies while operating within the law,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Despite the fact that Trump's phone-ins to Fox contain many tens of lies per hour, the way it's presented by him, and enabled by his White House propagandists and his Fox News sycophants (NOT all Fox News to be clear, in fairness to the few honest journos who are left there), it's actually unfair to castigate his supporters for being led so much astray.

For a variety of reasons, many (if not most) of those supporters only access the likes of Fox News for their information, and therefore it is highly disturbing, but understandable, that their thinking is coloured by what they hear from the likes of Kilmeade, Hannity, Carlson and others. The fault here lies not with the listener, but with the purveyor of the lies and deceit, and the media outlets that facilitate those lies..

Sadly, this is a huge downside of the great freedoms that were intended by the 1st Amendment provisions that guaranteed freedom of speech and the rights of the Press.

The challenge for those who want to change this status quo is to find ways and means to negate the lies while operating within the law,

Their morning show gets about 1 million viewers - 0.3% of the US population.

CNN has so many icons on their screen it's almost a parody at this stage and discusses very little other than Trump. No wonder Americans haven't a clue about anything.

Americans give the impression that it's the only country with a free press, and yet is served by some of the worst media in the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The death of the Fairness Doctrine arguably did more damage, in the long term, to the American political landscape than any number of scandals, laws, impeachments or super PACs. Maybe even gerrymandering and the likes of the "Brooks brothers riots" . It opened the door for precisely the kind of manipulative polemics masquerading as "news", and while some maintain the veneer of authenticity and fairness better than others, Fox grew fat off the television equivalent of bread and circuses. I genuinely believe where the country sits today, president n all, started by the removal of responsibility of networks for the information it put out.

And as much as I might get frustrated by the presence of occasional cranks and wingnuts during our own political debates, I am grateful the laws in our country recognised the core principle of educating its audience through balanced, fair sided debate, enshrining it in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

So I saw the clip from fox and friends of trump calling in to rant but I've now seen it went on for 53 minutes. I'm not a big fan of fox and friends but even I wouldn't wish them 53 minutes of trump. Was any of it even remotely lucid ?

He sounded batsh1t crazy!! Doocey, Earhardt and Kilmeade looked like three hostages as he ranted on - you would almost feel sorry for them! Almost!! :D

Ridiculous that Trump could call into a TV programme to hog it for almost an hour and neither the hosts nor producers seemed to have the guts to cut him off!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

This article explains the delays.. All down to Trump and Pence....
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/after-nine-months-federal-offices-are-still-waiting-to-hang-trumps-picture/2017/09/11/b36025c0-94b5-11e7-aace-04b862b2b3f3_story.html

Further proof (as though that was needed! !!) of a chaotic administration run by a chaotic mind...

Jeb Bush's words were prophetic - he said that Donald Trump was a chaos candidate and would be a chaos president. No one could have known how catastrophic Trump would prove to be. :(

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Jeb Bush's words were prophetic - he said that Donald Trump was a chaos candidate and would be a chaos president. No one could have known how catastrophic Trump would prove to be. :(

You know things are bad when Jeb Bush was right.

Having read the statement from the State Dept on how the White House arranged for a phonecall between Mike Pompeo and Rudy Giuliani, I got the impression the statement was issued to indicate there is distance between him and Rudy reference any working relationship within the White House and that Rudy didn't see what was being pushed by the statement with his reply "I know how to use a phone" eg: I don't need the White House to arrange a call between me and Mike Pompeo.

However, according to news reports, the statement was released after freedom of information requests were submitted to State asking for information on calls between the two gents, signing that State did not initiate the release of the details. I'm a bit surprised that State might have revealed that Mike and Rudy don't have a good working relationship and wonder if it was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The problem is his voters knew he was crooked and they didn’t care. In fact they voted in spite of it: Trump was the disruptor. Conservatives/Trumpers have a deep animus against the federal government and especially Congress. They wanted him in there, basically, to set the place on fire. He’s delivered. They have nothing to be shocked by. Plus, judges. A Republican was needed hell or high water to stop Garland from being seated.

Not only has Trump got 2 Justices and might get a 3rd still (who the Senate will not hesitate to confirm, even if in an election year) but he’s been stacking the federal courts with unqualified judges. Trumps first mob lawyer and mentor Cohn (not Cohen) said it best: “F*ck the law, who’s the judge?” He’s installing unqualified loyalists and is bribing GOP congressman (Some of whom will be his Jurors) with lavish stays at camp David and intimate White House policy lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_t75kZmrwxg

America is in big trouble.

• Advertisement

That is fake comedy.:(

Overheal wrote: »
    The problem is his voters knew he was crooked and they didn’t care. In fact they voted in spite of it: Trump was the disruptor. Conservatives/Trumpers have a deep animus against the federal government and especially Congress. They wanted him in there, basically, to set the place on fire. He’s delivered. They have nothing to be shocked by. Plus, judges. A Republican was needed hell or high water to stop Garland from being seated.

Not only has Trump got 2 Justices and might get a 3rd still (who the Senate will not hesitate to confirm, even if in an election year) but he’s been stacking the federal courts with unqualified judges. Trumps mentor Cohn (not Cohen) said it best: “F*ck the law, who’s the judge?” He’s installing unqualified loyalists and is bribing GOP congressman (Some of whom will be his Jurors) with lavish stays at camp David and intimate White House policy lunches.

It's his open mendacity now and the way GOP voters will still support him as/for president just because he's not Hillary or what they see her as representing that is most disappointing for a group of adults. The future of the union doesn't matter to them, only the hold on what they imagine they have or can get through him sitting in the Oval Office, a parody on the Camelot days.

BTW, Ruth Bader-Ginsburg is with the doctors again, with a chill reportedly. If things get to the Senate, Chief Justice Roberts will be in the chair making rulings on legal issues which arise during any trial there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

amandstu wrote: »
    That is fake comedy.:(

It’s more horrifying than funny.

In other matters before Don as Commander in Chief is a row arising from his recent decision to overturn six courts-martial conviction rulings and revoke sentences awarded there-in. In one of them, a Navy Seal was reduced in rank to CPO after being cleared of murdering a captive but found guilty of posing with the corpse. Since the sentence revocation, the admiral in charge of Navy Special Warfare decided to take away the CPO's status as a Seal and the CPO is appealing that, his lawyer saying the Admiral's decision is insubordination to Don as CIC, as Don had tweeted: Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher’s Trident Pin. This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!

The US Navy secretary has said he does not consider a tweet by President Donald Trump an order and would need a formal order to stop a review of a sailor who could lose his status as a Navy Seal. “I need a formal order to act,” US Navy secretary Richard Spencer said, and referred to the tweet. “I don’t interpret them as a formal order.” Mr Spencer, said if the president requests the process to stop, the process stops. “Good order and discipline is also obeying the orders of the President of the United States,” he said. Despite the differing views with the president over the appropriate handling of the case, Mr Spencer told reporters that he has not threatened to resign over the issue.
    But he acknowledged that he serves at the pleasure of the president.
    “The president the United States is the commander in chief.
    “He’s involved in every aspect of government and he can make decisions and give orders as appropriate,” he said.

It’s more horrifying than funny.

It puts Sacha Baron-Cohen's efforts in the halfpenny place.

The claim, though may be that they are not representative of Trump voters,just of dimwits generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

To be fair it was more than Jeb on the Republican side saying things like that

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRREhTinkGZ3lGZK9K7oDchvJP7iMGyHxsVcnZterr0dGJqQxVz

Rudy says Don wont throw him under the bus as he has insurance, files locked away in his safe. Now that's a statement to make. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7718383/I-insurance-Rudy-Giuliani-warns-Trump-against-throwing-bus.html

It's come full circle with the president's lawyer serving him, his Admin & the White House staffers an injunction of sorts through the media and not privately in the office or over the phone.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Rudy says Don wont throw him under the bus as he has insurance, files locked away in his safe. Now that's a statement to make. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7718383/I-insurance-Rudy-Giuliani-warns-Trump-against-throwing-bus.html

Snip, double post

That's the second time he's threatened his client on air

• Advertisement

It's come full circle with the president's lawyer serving him, his Admin & the White House staffers an injunction of sorts through the media and not privately in the office or over the phone.

Ah please Trump throw rudy under the bus so that he can unleash what he claims to have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement