Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

His tweet celebrating the anniversary of the release of Rocky is, simply, amazing. No words. Just that picture.

I can't tell if it's just Don being Don or if it's a massive distraction. I think it sums up all the madness in one tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So his tweet to celebrate something is to put himself in its place? Jebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

SNIP. This doesn't really add anything to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So his tweet to celebrate something is to put himself in its place? Jebus.
    Well things have been a bit rocky for him lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I think that's why US banks kept away from Don and Deutsche Bank lent him money, despite one of its internal sections querying the safety of the loan. It's been co-operating with the SDNY DA for about a year now having realised it's mistakes. The banker responsible ain't with the NY branch of the bank any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well things have been a bit rocky for him lately.

Didn't Rocky get his ass handed to him by a Russian too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Deleted post.

Is it a sign of his continued mental deterioration?

Is it part of his life long con which is built on bluff, bluster and distraction?

Or is it a combination where despite his mental deterioration he's almost operating on auto responses based on his life of ceaseless lies/cons?

Who knows? His fans love it no matter what. Those who understand how a functional leader in a functional democracy should act are rightly bewildered by this insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭abff

It's so far beyond parody at this stage that I sometimes find myself wondering am I imagining all this.

Barr used the word "spying".

Barr backed up Trump's ridiculous claims.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1199805119900069889?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I see Trump and his acolytes are now openly inventing cultural conspiracies: claiming that liberals now want to change (the name of) Thanksgiving, for reasons that have so far gone unexplained;
    At a rally in Florida on Tuesday, the president confoundingly reassured supporters that he wouldn’t let the “radical left” change Thanksgiving’s name. “As we gather for Thanksgiving, you know, some people want to change the name Thanksgiving. They don’t want to use the term Thanksgiving,” Trump said. He later continued: “People have different ideas why it shouldn’t be called Thanksgiving, but everybody in this room, I know, loves the name Thanksgiving. And we’re not changing.”

https://www.vox.com/explainers/2019/11/27/20985579/trump-rally-change-thanksgiving-name-liberals-fox-news-florida

And some wonder why Irish people are obsessed with this? It's a macabre reality TV show masquerading as a functioning democracy. It's fascinatingly outrageous. I wonder if there's something else floating around Trump's radius that this might be a useful distraction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No memes please, even if they do originate from the President of the United States.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So Sondland has been accused of sexual misconduct by three women.
    Linky from Propublica
    I'm past guessing how this will muddy the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It will be interesting to see the reaction to this, especially given the timing of it.

Will people be up in arms to see him investigated? Will it be used to cast doubts over his character and, therefore, his testimony?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It will be interesting to see the reaction to this, especially given the timing of it.

Will people be up in arms to see him investigated? Will it be used to cast doubts over his character and, therefore, his testimony?

You can expect a Republican to be on CNN before the week is out, doing this very thing. Accompanied by a Tweet from the official POTUS Twitter account.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You can expect a Republican to be on CNN before the week is out, doing this very thing. Accompanied by a Tweet from the official POTUS Twitter account.

If allegations of sexual assault compromise one's integrity, the POTUS and his followers should really sit this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

everlast75 wrote: »
    If allegations of sexual assault compromise one's integrity, the POTUS and his followers should really sit this one out.

They don't have a great track record of applying the same rules to themselves as everyone else, so I won't hold my breath.
    Anyway, Sondland is another on of Trump's 'great people', surely he wouldn't want to give the impression he's a bad judge of character and competency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

There's a bit of a Schroedinger's cat going on here, whereby Sondland (and various other Trump administrative staff) are possibly criminals and not credible, but they are also the best people, as Trump allegedly only hires the best people. We don't know which it is until we check the box, or in this case, until they testify.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pedro K wrote: »
    There's a bit of a Schroedinger's cat going on here, whereby Sondland (and various other Trump administrative staff) are possibly criminals and not credible, but they are also the best people, as Trump allegedly only hires the best people. We don't know which it is until we check the box, or in this case, until they testify.

WE must remember that Sondland basically paid a $1m dollars to be given the Ambassador role.

No vetting, no experience. Drain the swamp indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Leroy42 wrote: »
    WE must remember that Sondland basically paid a $1m dollars to be given the Ambassador role.

No vetting, no experience. Drain the swamp indeed!

Remind me what the stages of loyalty to trump are again?
    Something like:
    1. No qualifications bar a large cash donation
    2. Best people

* Scandal is exposed *

3. Went off on a solo run
    4. Don't even know that guy
    5. Jail

Did I miss anything significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

check_six wrote: »
    Remind me what the stages of loyalty to trump are again?
    Something like:
    1. No qualifications bar a large cash donation
    2. Best people

* Scandal is exposed *

3. Went off on a solo run
    4. Don't even know that guy
    5. Jail

Did I miss anything significant?

3.5. Was always a Never-Trumper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

kowloon wrote: »
    They don't have a great track record of applying the same rules to themselves as everyone else, so I won't hold my breath.
    Anyway, Sondland is another on of Trump's 'great people', surely he wouldn't want to give the impression he's a bad judge of character and competency.

Trump's already said he "hardly knows" Sondland. Next week, it'll be "Our hopelessly out of his depth EU Ambassador, Gordon Sondland". We've seen all this before and we'll see it again very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I wonder what boards Trump supporters are going to do if a new Democrat president were to win the race next year and e.g tells a falsehood, or is accused of adultery, or makes a racist statement, or attacks a witness on social media, or contradicts all three US intelligence services, or has close confidants/personal lawyers/appointees locked up, or etc, etc, etc, etc

I suspect there will be a lot of reregs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I wonder what boards Trump supporters are going to do if a new Democrat president were to win the race next year and e.g tells a falsehood, or is accused of adultery, or makes a racist statement, or attacks a witness on social media, or contradicts all three US intelligence services, or has close confidants/personal lawyers/appointees locked up, or etc, etc, etc, etc

I suspect there will be a lot of reregs.

Never mind the (Boards) Trump supporters ...I'm more curious about GOP lawmakers in that situation

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just wait until McConnell and co have to be admitted to hospital after getting a stroke when they look at the size of the federal budget deficit one minute after a Democrat takes power.

The "fiscal conservatives" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It looks like Don pulled an Admin double master-stroke by getting people to think he was golfing in the states when he was actually making a surprise visit to Afghanistan, two days after Mike Pence popped up on a surprise visit to Iraq. Even MSN fell for it as it had reported he was in the US golfing.

In another surprise Rudy's lawyer said he had ordered Rudy to tell President Trump the claim that he has insurance against the president was a "joke". Mr Costello said, at his insistence, Mr Giuliani phoned the president to say he was not serious when he told a reporter he had insurance if he was used as a scapegoat. Another surprise move which also appears to have been the third well kept secret.

MSN is the source for all 3 stories.

Even Tucker Carlson is getting in on the act by agreeing with the media reporting that Don is a liar by describing Don as a fullblown B/S artist, turning the truth on its head and making it appear a plus factor. An alternative way of seizing back lost ground amongst GOP voters.

MSN has a headlines story on its page that military officials are reluctant to appear beside President Trump amid concern about his decision-making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

marno21 wrote: »
    Just wait until McConnell and co have to be admitted to hospital after getting a stroke when they look at the size of the federal budget deficit one minute after a Democrat takes power.

The "fiscal conservatives" indeed.

McConnell will be laughing.... That will be the Democrat deficit after they take over, dont forget. Its the old GOP two step, decrease taxes to their rich buddies and drive up the deficit when in power, when out of power its the Dems that own that deficit now and then they will hammer the Dems for 4 years when they have to increase Taxes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never fails

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    McConnell will be laughing.... That will be the Democrat deficit after they take over, dont forget. Its the old GOP two step, decrease taxes to their rich buddies and drive up the deficit when in power, when out of power its the Dems that own that deficit now and then they will hammer the Dems for 4 years when they have to increase Taxes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never fails

I'd almost be content if Trump won 4 more years but McConnell got booted out by the voters.

Almost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If you were to offer the democrats the Congress, both houses, or the presidency I think a lot would quietly be content to take control of both houses and pin Trump in for the last term of his presidency. He is doing damage for sure but nothing compared to what a more competent deal maker could do and getting rid of the likes of Mitch and Graham etc, taking control of Congress could pay bigger dividends for the party.

Of course it can't be said out loud too much though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If you were to offer the democrats the Congress, both houses, or the presidency I think a lot would quietly be content to take control of both houses and pin Trump in for the last term of his presidency. He is doing damage for sure but nothing compared to what a more competent deal maker could do and getting rid of the likes of Mitch and Graham etc, taking control of Congress could pay bigger dividends for the party.

Of course it can't be said out loud too much though.

I'd go along with that thinking. .. however, can you imagine the level of whining and whinging as well as lies and propaganda that would emanate from the White House if that scenario came to pass!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aloyisious wrote: »
    It looks like Don pulled an Admin double master-stroke by getting people to think he was golfing in the states when he was actually making a surprise visit to Afghanistan, two days after Mike Pence popped up on a surprise visit to Iraq. Even MSN fell for it as it had reported he was in the US golfing.

That just shows that the Secret Service is still functioning correctly and the embedded journalists who fly on Air Force One are still following normal procedures about keeping their mouths shut at appropriate times.

Pretty certain that they have done the same story multiple times before around Thanksgiving for Bush II and Obama.

The only "master stroke" is that the Secret Service managed to remove Twitter access from Trump for a few hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement