Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

No more smileys please.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Vote on disapproving Russia’s inclusion in future G7 meetings passed 339-71 in the House

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll643.xml

Among those on the Russia side were Conaway, Gaetz, Gym Jordan, Greg Pence and 67 other Republicans

Tulsi Gabbard did not vote

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In what has to be one of the best resorts to Trump's petty insults, Kamala nails him

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1202008446083698689?s=19

Trump constantly mocks those that go through the proper process and drop out while he shuts down competition to his own party's nomination. Like he has ever won anything fair and square. The sheer hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

^ Remember the Obama roast? Those guys would do well to do their scoffing in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

^ Remember the Obama roast? Those guys would do well to do their scoffing in private.

They are, they don't know they are being filmed/recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

They are, they don't know they are being filmed/recorded.

Hardly private.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hardly private.

Hardly shouting from the rooftops either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm super lazy, and don't have the energy to listen to Trump's press conferences anymore, but what was said between him & Macron that it has made the headlines anyway? I presume just making a bags of basic geopolitical talking points, but was there a public spat or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm super lazy, and don't have the energy to listen to Trump's press conferences anymore, but what was said between him & Macron that it has made the headlines anyway? I presume just making a bags of basic geopolitical talking points, but was there a public spat or something?

Putin Trump is against NATO.
    To get him to be for NATO Macron said NATO is brain dead.
    Now Trump is for NATO because Macron was against.

Like when you use reverse psychology on a child.
    No you don't want a bath.
    Yes I want a bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

20Cent wrote: »
    Putin Trump is against NATO.
    To get him to be for NATO Macron said NATO is brain dead.
    Now Trump is for NATO because Macron was against.

Like when you use reverse psychology on a child.
    No you don't want a bath.
    Yes I want a bath.
    Yes but what he says has no shelf life.
    Him being for NATO is its kiss of death if he gets in again.

I agree with him about contributions but the point is to keep commitments rather than to necessarily raise or lower them.

And similarly here with Ireland.We arguably benefit from NATO without even being in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's a lot of it about though. Princess Anne speaks for all of us.

Never thought I would say that. :o

The full clip though is with Princess Anne walking in behind Trump, presumably already having greeted him in a previous room to then walk him through to the formal greeting with the Queen. Would be a bit odd for her then to run around infront of Trump to join the end of the queue next to Camilla.

The Queen just wondered why Anne was stood there and didn't realise where she'd come from I'd expect.

Edit:

Here is the longer version:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2019/dec/04/queen-gestures-at-princess-anne-for-not-greeting-donald-trump-video

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

amandstu wrote: »
    Yes but what he says has no shelf life.
    Him being for NATO is its kiss of death if he gets in again.

I agree with him about contributions but the point is to keep commitments rather than to necessarily raise or lower them.

And similarly here with Ireland.We arguably benefit from NATO without even being in it.
    Indeed we do. I worked it out before that the entire spend of the department of defence is one sixth of NATO membership requirements re percentage of GDP.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Have deleted a bunch of posts that were just links to Twitter or one line comments. As the charter says:
    Please remember that we are not a blog, a news feed nor an announcement forum - if you are not willing to discuss what you post, then please don't post it.

If you're post doesn't contain at least one paragraph of your own thoughts, please think twice before hitting "Reply".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/498008486551506945

There really is a tweet for everything. Poor Donald has cancelled his news conference and headed home early

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

robinph wrote: »
    The full clip though is with Princess Anne walking in behind Trump, presumably already having greeted him in a previous room to then walk him through to the formal greeting with the Queen. Would be a bit odd for her then to run around infront of Trump to join the end of the queue next to Camilla.

The Queen just wondered why Anne was stood there and didn't realise where she'd come from I'd expect.

Edit:

Here is the longer version:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2019/dec/04/queen-gestures-at-princess-anne-for-not-greeting-donald-trump-video
    As it turned out, the actual question was whether there were any more people to be received and Anne was answering in the negative/don't think so. Nothing to do with Trump at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hardly private.

It's just locker room talk, considering he got his nose out of joint over this, how can he lead the army?

There must be a Monty Python Brave Ser Robin parallel here

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1202008162997538817?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

marno21 wrote: »

There really is a tweet for everything. Poor Donald has cancelled his news conference and headed home early

I hear he's begun his tantrum also, calling Trudeau two faced. Imagine the laughing you'd do when someone as multi faced as Donald Trump calls you two faced! Brings back memories of his last journey over I think it was and his display of two faced cowardice in his interactions with Theresa May.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've finally read the quote from Trump from yesterday about Adam Schiff and change Schiff to Trump and he's talking about himself.

He's unbelievably lacking in self awareness and makes Frank Spencer from Some mothers do 'ave 'em look fully aware of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

marno21 wrote: »

There are not enough ha's in hahaha to do justice to this new demarche.

He really is the Prince of Clowns (although probably just joking and had more important business back home anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He's unbelievably lacking in self awareness and makes Frank Spencer from Some mothers do 'ave 'em look fully aware of everything.

This is a man who, on the Howard Stern show, two months after Princess Diana died, said he would have ****ed her but only if she had an aids test first

Flash forward to yesterday and as President of the US he is meeting the Royals and Prince Charles. Again, all of this is still so surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    This is a man who, on the Howard Stern show, two months after Princess Diana died, said he would have ****ed her but only if she had an aids test first

Flash forward to yesterday and as President of the US he is meeting the Royals and Prince Charles. Again, all of this is still so surreal.

Surreal?

More like hilarious for us Irish observers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume in cutting short the visit, there'll be an announcement from the White House as to the official why of the return?

Monumentally thin skinned if this is true, but also unsurprising given all previous occasions he shirks from the slightest rebuke from his international colleagues. What a dealmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭eire4

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've finally read the quote from Trump from yesterday about Adam Schiff and change Schiff to Trump and he's talking about himself.

The amount of times you could use the psychological term projection to explain what he says is unreal. I mean he is like a living breathing textbook example of it all day every day pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I presume in cutting short the visit, there'll be an announcement from the White House as to the official why of the return?

Monumentally thin skinned if this is true, but also unsurprising given all previous occasions he shirks from the slightest rebuke from his international colleagues. What a dealmaker.
    Oh, he's already given his reason. Since he's already given the press his time, there's no need for another presser and he can just head home without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

A bit scary that the Leader of the Free World is so easily offended by nothing more than "schoolyard gossip".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

coastwatch wrote: »
    A bit scary that the Leader of the Free World is so easily offended by nothing more than "schoolyard gossip".

I think it's how to spot the most pathetic of people - being incapable of receiving criticism or taking a joke at their expense.

For one thing, Obama wouldn't generally, I'd imagine, have had the piss taken out of him, because he had pretty unanimous respect internationally, but if he did, he would've easily taken it in his stride, with self-deprecation, or turned the tables with a zinger of his own.

That Trump can't do that is clear evidence that he's fundamentally broken. Forget about being a good president. He only qualifies as human on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Trump will probably get sympathy and support from his base and all sides for this, the "disrespect" of the POTUS.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were economic consequences for Canada and France because of it.
    He clearly needs his ego massaged daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump will probably get sympathy and support from his base and all sides for this, the "disrespect" of the POTUS.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were economic consequences for Canada and France because of it.
    He clearly needs his ego massaged daily.

He's already threatened tarrifs on french goods
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/02/tech/french-tariffs-digital-services-tax/index.html

Leader of the Free World stuff just further increases the importance with which Americans see themselves.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

For one thing, Obama wouldn't generally, I'd imagine, have had the piss taken out of him, because he had pretty unanimous respect internationally, but if he did, he would've easily taken it in his stride, with self-deprecation, or turned the tables with a zinger of his own.

Large parts of the world opposed the Obama presidency as large parts of the world regularly oppose US foreign policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement