Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I'd say a lot of posters are rooting for Bernie like last time. And like last time, the traditional powers in the Dems are lined up agin him. And if Bernie gets the nod, there'll be a whole range of interest groups, not to mention the might of the GOP lined up agin him as well.

More liberal dems tend to get a good press here and in Europe in general, but they're the exception really. The US is very much more right leaning and nationalistic than just about any European country and that includes Dems and GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I see your point, if the Republicans with both Houses of Congress and the Presidency couldn't repeal Obamacare, what hope has Sanders got of implementing his more radical (from a US view) proposals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Looks like Kim and North Korea are going to break their promise to Trump and resume testing.

Actually, no they are blaming Trump himself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I know Senator Susan Collins doesn't always keep to the "promise" she's shown but I see she and Lisa Murkowski seem to be showing an independence of spirit where it come to witnesses being called to testify at the presumed trial of DJT before the Senate next month. Hopefully Don, as reported, might have opened the witness door several inches with whatever comment he made about a Biden investigation and witnesses testifying over the past few days may have enabled testifying to be something Mitch can't swerve around.

Ta StringetBell. Got her mixed up with another Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I had to read it twice to figure out you meant Susan Collins :)

Yeah I have no faith (so far) that there will be anything more than expressions of concern from the usual suspects before they row in behind McConnell and nobody is better at that than Collins.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

750 troops off to Iraq, some for embassy security, with more to come.
    Cool beans for Trump, a nice tidy little war against the big bag 'Ranians to boost the ratings. All well orchestrated from DC:
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/iraq-embassy-protest-us-troops_n_5e0beff6c5b6b5a713b4a3ba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1212103207469666304?s=19

The top lies of each month by Donald John Trump. What a complete and utter degenerate liar.

Holy s**t never heard this one about dishwashers before:eek::eek::eek: I mean WTF...how can any GOP politican stand by this man is beyond me:mad::mad:

"Dishwashers -- we did the dishwasher, right? You press it -- remember the dishwasher, you'd press it, boom, there'd be like an explosion, five minutes later you open it up, the steam pours out, the dishes. Now, you press it 12 times. Women tell me. Again, you know, they give you four drops of water. And they're in places where there's so much water, they don't know what to do with it. So we just came out with a reg on dishwashers -- we're going back to you. By the way, by the time they press it 10 times, you spend more on water -- and electric! Don't forget. The whole thing is worse because you're spending all that money on electric. So we're bringing back standards that are great.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Holy s**t never heard this one about dishwashers before:eek::eek::eek: I mean WTF...how can any GOP politican stand by this man is beyond me:mad::mad:

"Dishwashers -- we did the dishwasher, right? You press it -- remember the dishwasher, you'd press it, boom, there'd be like an explosion, five minutes later you open it up, the steam pours out, the dishes. Now, you press it 12 times. Women tell me. Again, you know, they give you four drops of water. And they're in places where there's so much water, they don't know what to do with it. So we just came out with a reg on dishwashers -- we're going back to you. By the way, by the time they press it 10 times, you spend more on water -- and electric! Don't forget. The whole thing is worse because you're spending all that money on electric. So we're bringing back standards that are great.

He sounds like my dad rambling on after a few pints as he tries to prove to my mam that he’s sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of posters are rooting for Bernie like last time. And like last time, the traditional powers in the Dems are lined up agin him. And if Bernie gets the nod, there'll be a whole range of interest groups, not to mention the might of the GOP lined up agin him as well.

More liberal dems tend to get a good press here and in Europe in general, but they're the exception really. The US is very much more right leaning and nationalistic than just about any European country and that includes Dems and GOP.

Its not that the establishment Dems are against Bernie, they just know he won't win an election. The swing states that the Dems have to win are very conservative and they view people like Bernie and Elizabeth Warren as far too liberal when it comes to abortion, same sex marriage etc.

Having come across some Irish-Americans visiting Ireland (good people) here, they were quite shocked at how liberal Ireland was. There was one Irish born person, now in her 70s, who was an ex-nun, left, married and became a teacher somewhere in the mid-west and would vote for Trump again because he is anti-abortion and just ignore all the lies and other stuff he gets up to because of that.

I think its interesting though that one of the leading Christian newspapers had a Leader just before Christmas condemning Trump for his lies etc. Bernie or Elizabeth Warren are not going to pick up those votes, but Joe Biden might.

jm08 wrote: »
    Its not that the establishment Dems are against Bernie, they just know he won't win an election. The swing states that the Dems have to win are very conservative and they view people like Bernie and Elizabeth Warren as far too liberal when it comes to abortion, same sex marriage etc.

Having come across some Irish-Americans visiting Ireland (good people) here, they were quite shocked at how liberal Ireland was. There was one Irish born person, now in her 70s, who was an ex-nun, left, married and became a teacher somewhere in the mid-west and would vote for Trump again because he is anti-abortion and just ignore all the lies and other stuff he gets up to because of that.

I think its interesting though that one of the leading Christian newspapers had a Leader just before Christmas condemning Trump for his lies etc. Bernie or Elizabeth Warren are not going to pick up those votes, but Joe Biden might.
    Establishment Dems might want to cotton onto the fact the Clinton lost to a certifiable loon and that Obama, for all his fine talk, was largely ineffectual.

I don't like Biden, I don't like what he represents (More of the same) but I coukd get behind him with Warren or Bernie on the VP ticket.

• Advertisement

Establishment Dems might want to cotton onto the fact the Clinton lost to a certifiable loon and that Obama, for all his fine talk, was largely ineffectual.

I don't like Biden, I don't like what he represents (More of the same) but I coukd get behind him with Warren or Bernie on the VP ticket.

The Dems have to appeal to the electorate. Bernie & Elizabeth Warren would have appeal in most European Countries (except UK, Poland Hungary and a few more of the Eastern European countries).

If you look at any tweets about Nancy Pelosi for example, you will nearly always find a few tweets about how she supports what they call 'murdering babies'. Bernie or EW hasn't a hope of getting elected in those conservative States which is needed.

The Dems have to appeal to the electorate. Bernie & Elizabeth Warren would have appeal in most European Countries (except UK, Poland Hungary and a few more of the Eastern European countries).

If you look at any tweets about Nancy Pelosi for example, you will nearly always find a few tweets about how she supports what they call 'murdering babies'. Bernie or EW hasn't a hope of getting elected in those conservative States which is needed.
    It's the middle ground that you need to convince, not the crowd shouting about murdering babies. I think say a Biden Buttirieg (sorry for spelling) would to too off putting for many. So go for a mix to broaden appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

ECO_Mental wrote: »

I think it was John Oliver that did an experiment with predictive text on an iPhone and ended up with a speech that was actually more coherent than one of Trump's ramblings. Its a sad state of affairs! How could you vote for someone like that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I think it was John Oliver that did an experiment with predictive text on an iPhone and ended up with a speech that was actually more coherent than one of Trump's ramblings. Its a sad state of affairs! How could you vote for someone like that? :confused:

I once raised that point on another forum, regarding his windmill speech.

The trump supporter's response was that he was doing it, because he was "trolling the left".

I replied, asking should a president not be concerned with trolling people and perhaps dp something more meaningful. The second reply was laced with expletives.

Another time I posted a comment about Trump not being better than HRC would have been. The reply was that she was a warmonger. I replied saying that Trump enabled dictators, which was worse in my view. The second response was "f**k NATO, f**k the Ukraine" etc etc.

Very angry people, Trump supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,934 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So to start off this decade trump is calling house speaker a “very overrated person” which is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Maybe they could incorporate that into the debate between Trump and his opponent? (either the interviewer could frame his/her question in that way or the opponent could try answering that way)

It's the middle ground that you need to convince, not the crowd shouting about murdering babies. I think say a Biden Buttirieg (sorry for spelling) would to too off putting for many. So go for a mix to broaden appeal.

Its not just abortion, its gun laws as well. Its the swing States (like Florida, Ohio etc), which the candidates have to appeal to, not the middle ground.

Its not just abortion, its gun laws as well. Its the swing States (like Florida, Ohio etc), which the candidates have to appeal to, not the middle ground.
    The dems in congress with some GOP support passed minor changes to gun laws, being held up in the Senate do Mitch. Presumably that's their bottom line on gun laws. I don't know who is going to win but they're not going to alienate their core base (Why impeachment process went ahead) which your suggestions around gun laws and abortion suggest. I get the maxim of what you're saying, but I think dems will concentrate on what worked in 2018 elections which put an end to Trump winning. Anyway all that's for another thread so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some in the Dems may feel that Sanders or Warren mightn't catch the wider vote but many in the DNC establishment are worried about their moneid america being alienated.
    Some of them, Zuckerberg et al are willing to throw a lot of money at it to stop progressive tax policies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The dems in congress with some GOP support passed minor changes to gun laws, being held up in the Senate do Mitch. Presumably that's their bottom line on gun laws. I don't know who is going to win but they're not going to alienate their core base (Why impeachment process went ahead) which your suggestions around gun laws and abortion suggest. I get the maxim of what you're saying, but I think dems will concentrate on what worked in 2018 elections which put an end to Trump winning. Anyway all that's for another thread so I'll leave it there.

It's basically the same law which was voted upon after the Newton shooting and failed. It thus has the same liabilities, and I see no reason it's going to work out any better this time around.

To give an example as to how the Ds must be careful on specific issues in swing States, look at the recent Virginia maps.

As we all know, Virginia took the State legislature, both houses.

This is their lower house.
    2560px-VA2019StateHouse.png

This is their upper house.
    VA2019StateSenate.png

They may be mistaking the voter preference for a Democrat candidate overall to read as approval for the overall Democrat preference on firearms policy specifically.
    Note how various 'blue' counties have declared "We shall not comply" with the gun control legislation pending for next week (Which is fairly dramatic, they aren't minor tweaks to the law closer to California and New York environments). This isn't just polling, these are measures passed by local elected officials on this single policy. You'll see a number of "blue" districts are not pleased.
    Virginia-County-Map20191224.png

You can guarantee that what the Virginia democrats do on this issue this year is having attention paid to by voters outside of the State. This is a battle that Democrats do not need to fight, and by fighting it, they are only doing themselves harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

everlast75 wrote: »
    I once raised that point on another forum, regarding his windmill speech.

The trump supporter's response was that he was doing it, because he was "trolling the left".

I replied, asking should a president not be concerned with trolling people and perhaps dp something more meaningful. The second reply was laced with expletives.

Another time I posted a comment about Trump not being better than HRC would have been. The reply was that she was a warmonger. I replied saying that Trump enabled dictators, which was worse in my view. The second response was "f**k NATO, f**k the Ukraine" etc etc.

Very angry people, Trump supporters.

It's generally not possible to have a genuine debate with a Trump supporter because they don't really have anything other than "but what about Hillary/Bengazi" or "but what about Obama". I think they're probably fearful about Trump losing in 2020 (which I actually don't think he will) so that the idiot element in society loses its voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump administration launched probe to discover who ‘liked’ Chelsea Clinton tweet

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-chelsea-clinton-twitter-ivanka-g20-meeting-state-department-a9265956.html

Any other president would be declared a lunatic and chased from office long before now.

Trump administration launched probe to discover who ‘liked’ Chelsea Clinton tweet

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-chelsea-clinton-twitter-ivanka-g20-meeting-state-department-a9265956.html

Any other president would be declared a lunatic and chased from office long before now.
    Much more important obviously than the embassy being stormed. Crazy times.

According to MSN news, Rudy is still doing his best to defend his client, this time by baffling the senate with B/S. He said he would testify, would like to hold demonstrations and give lectures in the senate during the trial and would like to "try" Don's case there as his lawyer. He used the words "I would prosecute the case as a racketeering case". Before he was Mayor of NYC, he was the prosecutor in the SDNY. I just can't see Don appreciating the sense of irony in Rudy's words, if he was not aware in advance of Rudy's media release.

Re the Senate case, it seems Chief Justice Roberts can advise the senate members of matters of legal procedure during the trial [if it goes ahead] and on witnesses testifying but the senate members can choose [by vote] to ignore and over-ride his given legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,934 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay new year so new attitude for me regards to trump and listening to his allies bitch and moan about the president having done nothing wrong or some form of defense that doesn't involve actual evidence that directly contradicts the evidence that was presented to the house committees.

From now on I'll stop listening or will turn off the tv. I know Irish politics is far far from perfect but Jesus h Christ American politics while I love it and read as much as I can about it, I actually can't stand it during the era of trump. The senate trial needs to hear from messers Bolton, mulvaney, and Pompeo because they are first hand account witnesses that the GOP have said we haven't had up to now.. Get them to the senate and testify if there was nothing wrong they will clear the president and we can all move on.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay new year so new attitude for me regards to trump and listening to his allies bitch and moan about the president having done nothing wrong or some form of defense that doesn't involve actual evidence that directly contradicts the evidence that was presented to the house committees.

From now on I'll stop listening or will turn off the tv. I know Irish politics is far far from perfect but Jesus h Christ American politics while I love it and read as much as I can about it, I actually can't stand it during the era of trump. The senate trial needs to hear from messers Bolton, mulvaney, and Pompeo because they are first hand account witnesses that the GOP have said we haven't had up to now.. Get them to the senate and testify if there was nothing wrong they will clear the president and we can all move on.

Basically Don has been trying his own case before the public for a year or more now to pre-empt any proper hearing of what ever evidence has been gathered about his activities and the activities of those acting as his personal agents outside the remit of government while he's been denying witnesses to what occurred a chance to publicly reveal what they know at the same time calling the Govt investigators liars and what they uncovered a hoax and a witch-trial. He's been running scared for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rudy's hot take on the impeachment trial...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1212290738886774784?s=20

I would love for him to testify, but sadly God does not love me that much

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I think I realised late last year that both Donald and Brexit are basically political movements backed by billionaires with the intention to make wealthy people wealthier. They succeed in crafting favourable legislation by making enough middle and working class people blame foreigners and poor people for their economic situation.

We all kind of knew this anyway. However I find that if you keep that reality to the front of your thinking it prevents you getting too caught up in the day to day bullsh1t that's only churned out to distract from what's going on.

Trump and Boris are basically the latest salesmen trying to win a popularity contest.

People argue away about impeachment while the richest 1% in America now pay less tax PRO RATA than the poorest. That is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Midlife wrote: »
    I think I realised late last year that both Donald and Brexit are basically political movements backed by billionaires with the intention to make wealthy people wealthier.

Arrogant, simple thinking like this is why both movements happened. Opposing campaigns were backed by huge money. Maybe, just maybe, people had legitimate qualms. Labelling such voters dumb is much easier than self-reflection.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/

YCjYyJO.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

peddlelies wrote: »
    Arrogant, simple thinking like this is why both movements happened. Opposing campaigns were backed by huge money. Maybe, just maybe, people had legitimate qualms. Labelling such voters dumb is much easier than self-reflection.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/

YCjYyJO.png

What does Hillary have to do with it? The traditional Democrats have presided over the massive increase in inequality that I'm talking about.

But sure yeah. It's all the fault of Mexican immigrants.

Simple thinking indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement