Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options
1322323324325326328»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »
    What's truly so unfortunate is that it has taken so many people so long to see what was so blindingly obvious from the get go -

that Trump is a snakeoil salesman who is so far out of his depth it is frightening, and will scorch the earth to save his own skin.

While he's upset the applecart through presidential directives and scared the sh*te out of nations across the globe, as a socio-political experiment by the GOP for the office of POTUS, Don is a total failure. He's woken the US, for good or bad, to what happens when it elects a tyro to the top office in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

aloyisious wrote: »
    While he's upset the applecart through presidential directives and scared the sh*te out of nations across the globe, as a socio-political experiment by the GOP for the office of POTUS, Don is a total failure. He's woken the US, for good or bad, to what happens when it elects a tyro to the top office in the land.

What sickens me is that when he becomes indefensible to those that should have frankly copped on a lot sooner to his gig, they will maintain that they were right to stand behind the Commander in Chief and try and rationalise their plain stupidity in supporting him in the first place. Moreover, I wager they will criticise others, who were right in their evaluation of him, saying either we never gave him a chance, or that the right time to stop supporting him was when they said so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SNIP.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ok, take the World War II stuff to the History & Heritage forum please.

Post edited.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Brian? wrote: »
    SNIP.

Apologies mods. Saw the warning too late.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

The lawyer for Lev Parnas is playing a blinder on the PR front..

https://twitter.com/josephabondy/status/1214392685592752128?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Senior Trump advisor, Roger Stone's sealed court documents from his conviction have been released.

https://www.courthousenews.com/feds-to-hand-over-roger-stone-records-to-media-outlets/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seems likely, especially since his chief of staff just resigned, to be replaced by some GOP functionary with defense experience. This administration is like watching a blender on high speed with the lid removed stuff flys out so fast you can't keep track.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/06/defense-secretary-chief-of-staff-094717

The CoS has been expected to resign for some time, he was a temporary hold-over from the previous SecDef and has long expressed an interest in returning to the private sector.

The replacement may be "some GOP functionary with defense experience", but if she was a senior advisor to Dunford (as per the politico article) she is also a very competent GOP functionary with defense experience. I also like her apparent focus on cyber.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

droidus wrote: »
    Trump is perhaps unique as a US president in having a ridiculous number of potential vulnerabilities. Every Trump property, resort, business and associate is now a real target, and many of these are scattered around the globe far from the reach of the US security services.

Probably not a good time to plan a trip to Doonbeg.

Do the Iranians personalise it against Trump? Or do they see it as yet another instance of US interference which has been constant (in their minds) since 1979?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The replacement may be "some GOP functionary with defense experience", but if she was a senior advisor to Dunford (as per the politico article) she is also a very competent GOP functionary with defense experience. I also like her apparent focus on cyber.

That has an entirely different meaning online. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Do the Iranians personalise it against Trump? Or do they see it as yet another instance of US interference which has been constant (in their minds) since 1979?
    Anything that would count as a strike against a US target, including the president's own company would be considered fair game by them I would say.

However I would really expect them to stay focused in the region. Trump has made a hash of this and point blank refusal to show any evidence as to why this assassination was needed is a big issue as well.

Until they show it evidence I will assume it is with the evidence of WMDs. Trump should be assumed to be lying till proven otherwise at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Since 1953 and Mosaddegh at least.

Agree with the above. Any US target would be seen as legitimate, though I imagine Trump's properties would offer a very tempting target. it would be interesting to see how this would be viewed in international, or even US law. Can an attack against a president's businesses be seen as an attack against the US considering that a president isnt even supposed to own those businesses?

droidus wrote: »
    Since 1953 and Mosaddegh at least.

Agree with the above. Any US target would be seen as legitimate, though I imagine Trump's properties would offer a very tempting target. it would be interesting to see how this would be viewed in international, or even US law. Can an attack against a president's businesses be seen as an attack against the US considering that a president isnt even supposed to own those businesses?

Any attacker probably being revenge-minded against the Great Satan, anything bearing the mark of Uncle Sam will do as a target as the religious see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Igotadose wrote: »

It really is one rule for one group and another for the other.

6 months for what he did? Remember he got his son let off. Imagine some poor person robbing a convenience store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Leroy42 wrote: »

6 months for what he did? Remember he got his son let off. Imagine some poor person robbing a convenience store?

All depends on how much he ratted out over the last few year or so...did he not sing like a canary (for a while anyway..) a lot of prosecutions and investigations are waiting until The great Orange one is either kicked out of office by impeachment or voted out at the end of this year

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

According to trump Bolton wouldn’t know anything about the Ukraine issue. Well let’s see if John Bolton really doesn’t know anything.

Good thing the judge hates his guts.

Hope he throws the book at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Fonny122

Don't forget that the DOJ (who also don't seem all that pushed on investigating how Epstein got murdered under their watch) is headed by William Barr who has been found to be reacting items left, right and centre that he has no right to, on a whole number of documents under investigation.

He also got the job on the back of a 19 page letter he wrote to Trump about how he would essentially make sure he never had to face the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Advertisement

The Iranians ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hilary was supposed to be a war monger but we see the truth now

It's looking like war is starting and caused by that buffoon in the White House

I wonder in my life time(I'm in my mid thirties) will I ever see a Middle East at peace. I've never known it to not be in some kind of turmoil.

Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard are taking responsibility for the rocket attack. Steph Grissom, W/h press Sec: President and NSC are aware of and monitoring the situation. If there are no US casualties and the base is Iraqi, there can be a disclaimer by Don that NO US interests were attacked but that's up to him and cool heads [if they can keep him in a sensible mood] despite Don talking about the US money used to build up the base. It seems that along with Iraqi fighter aircraft squadrons and the US using it, the UK has forces there as well.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard are taking responsibility for the rocket attack.

Well at least we weren't kept in suspense. Trump said the ball was in Irans court but it looks like the ball has come over the net to tar Americans. So your move president trump.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well at least we weren't kept in suspense. Trump said the ball was in Irans court but it looks like the ball has come over the net to tar Americans. So your move president trump.

Convenient opportunity to test out new hardware against Iranian air defense systems :(

The ante has been upped by the IRG saying it will target any state which "enables" US aggression. I assume that means Saudi Arabia, not sure if it also refers to Turkey as both countries have US bases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: I'm locking this. New thread is here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058043510

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement