Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Water John wrote: »
    Don't understand how George lives with that.
    The use of race to divide people is indeed evil and very dangerous.
    Wonder were KAC's Irish and Italian forebears refused housing by Trump's father?

George has an op ed in the Washington Post today about racism with anecdotes from when he was younger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-conway-trump-is-a-racist-president/2019/07/15/b13c0bd4-a740-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html

It’ll be an interesting dinner in that house later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

marno21 wrote: »
    It’s about time the Republican Party was officially renamed the Trump Party. The resistance is non existent now and there are far many more defending it

Kellyanne there questioning a reporters ethnicity after he asked about the President’s comments

https://twitter.com/resistbot/status/1151182197958860800

That will back to haunt her. Could even make a song out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting to see her rattled and that's a long way out from 2020 election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conway's blather feels like Schrödinger's patriot: chastising democrats for insufficient zeal (or not wearing pins as we read earlier in this thread), while also being "sick and tired of this country". Hypocrites and shysters occupy the White House, praying on ever shallow jingoisitc impulse cultivated in the American psyche since the Cold War.

The truly sad part is that it's working. Those with most to lose will be those first to print their "I'd rather be Russian than Democrat" t-shirts, thumping their chest at Trump "owning the libs".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Can it really go on like this much longer ? This doesn't look like 4 dimensional chess, it looks like a scared crazy old racist man that the whole world has to listen to every day. A bizarre cast of supporters keep defending everything he says regardless of content. Its all too surreal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

George has an op ed in the Washington Post today about racism with anecdotes from when he was younger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-conway-trump-is-a-racist-president/2019/07/15/b13c0bd4-a740-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html

It’ll be an interesting dinner in that house later

I actually can't believe that man is married to that woman. They must make each other laugh an awful lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The GOP are having a vote on whether to condemn trumps tweets or not.
    And the resolution is no.
    Am I on acid? Am I reading this right?

https://twitter.com/mzanona/status/1151157396875726853?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 39,828 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is this the resolution being brought by the democrats ? I've no idea if you're on acid or not and yes you are reading it right. The thing is it'll be part of the congressional record after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

A Republican senator only a few months ago was promoting white supremacy and complaining about it getting a bad rap.

Did you honestly expect different?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I really think the recent tweets have been damaging. There is a lack of support for home. The best they can do is try to deflect and tone down their condemnation. Nobody, well nobody important, has come out to back him up.

Even KAC, whom I disagree with but admire her abilities, was clearly on the back foot.

Trump has oft been accused of being racist, and many an argument on these threads have debated the language and meaning of his comments on Mexicans, but nobody is claiming his isn't racist now.

Whilst that may play out well with his committed supporters it won't gain him any new voters or lost voters. He may well have a legitimate argument to make but to debase himself that all he can do is shout racist abuse at people is not going to win over any waverers.

Where is Ivanka, Jared? Why is Pence not supporting him (he avoids it)?

It won't lead to a change overnight but I get the feeling that he has crossed the line on this. It's not even that he was racist, but racist against democratically elected reps is another level to picking on illegal immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Can it really go on like this much longer ? This doesn't look like 4 dimensional chess, it looks like a scared crazy old racist man that the whole world has to listen to every day. A bizarre cast of supporters keep defending everything he says regardless of content. Its all too surreal...

It's absolutely horrifying. We're living in a world gone completely wrong. Majorly off course, and things are very sinister indeed.

They way she snapped at this man, nay demanded of him; "what is your ethnicity!", was actually shocking.

ICE squads roaming the streets and seizing people, putting people in camps, separating children from their parents and putting them in camps. 'Show me your papers', 'what is your ethnicity'. Foreignors, immigrants should 'go home'.

These 'Republican's' can start wearing their armbands now. I expect to hear news about what a proper Aryan - I mean American - is soon. What the right mix is anyway. Kellyanne studiously avoided andwering the reporters 'what countries?' question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As a matter of interest who was the reporter KAC jumped on?

I'm sure she knows his ethnicity, whomever it was. If not, she will certainly have the team do a thorough check on him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Andrew Feinberg.

This speech by Ronald Reagan is at once poignant and prophetic.

Poignant in that it harks back to a man of decency who held the office with dignity and appreciated decorum.

Prophetic in that he mentions that it is immigrants which have made America and strengthened it, but if they turn away from this, they will no longer be a leading nation.

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1150999725635776518

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Trump has oft been accused of being racist, and many an argument on these threads have debated the language and meaning of his comments on Mexicans, but nobody is claiming his isn't racist now.
    You should take a look at the antifa thread.

Apparently Trump was only referring to ilhan Omar who is now multiple people from multiple countries, but he did not mean for all four of her to go to a different country and instead meant for her four guises that she operates under to go back to her/their four homes in DC where they are somehow from, despite none of them being from or representing there. Ilhan Omar's four identities should also all go to Somalia which is what he clearly meant, except he was only referring to her in the plural because he was just referring to her Ilhan Omar disguise which is a Somalia one, not her aliases of Ocasio Cortez, Pressley and Tlaib who are all American born and raised.

You see, he only meant the multiple variations of Ilhan Omar should leave the country by going to DC because their approval ratings being below 50% means they do not represent the majority of Americans. And also because they do not try to represent absolutely everyone. Which means Trump should leave the country too except he shouldn't because reasons.

Seriously, go and read it. There are some seriously bizarre things being posted on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Andrew Feinberg.

Is he Jewish?

Wow. Does that mean KAH is anti-semitic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is he Jewish?

He's white and Jewish. Himself and Kellyanne have history. He challenged her end of May re endorsing Roy Moore and her response got her reported to an oversight committee who recommended she be fired. Nothing happened for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is he Jewish?

It would have been gas if he'd said "I'm Jewish. Do you think I should go home?"

So do we know when the vote is supposed to happen Irish time ?

• Advertisement

So do we know when the vote is supposed to happen Irish time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Apparently Trump was only referring to ilhan Omar who is now multiple people from multiple countries, but did not mean to go to a different country and instead meant to go back to their homes in DC where they are from, despite none of them being from or representing there. Ilhan Omar's four identities should also all go to Somalia which is what he clearly meant, except he was only referring to her in the plural because he was just referring to her Ilhan Omar disguise which is a Somalia one, not her aliases of Ocasio Cortez, Pressley and Tlaib who are all American born and raised.

You see, he only meant the multiple variations of Ilhan Omar should leave the country by going to DC because their approval ratings being below 50% means they do not represent the majority of Americans. And also because they do not try to represent absolutely everyone. Which means Trump should leave the country too except he shouldn't because reasons.

Seriously, go and read it. There are some seriously bizarre things being posted on this forum.

That whole forum is just a dogs dinner of racism and all kinds of bigotry. There is no defending Trump's comment without extreme mental gymnastics or deception. the people who defend him now will never be on the right side of these issues. The real problem is that so many in the middle have become apathetic to Trump. They will see this as racist but will think it's not really surprising. Trump has consistently and gradually lowered the bar for political expectations.

Link to the floor of the US House of Representatives.
    https://live.house.gov
    Link to the actual text of the resolution that was brought against trump.
    https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hres489/BILLS-116hres489ih.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

MrFresh wrote: »

Apparently Trump was only referring to ilhan Omar who is now multiple people from multiple countries, but did not mean to go to a different country and instead meant to go back to their homes in DC where they are from, despite none of them being from or representing there. Ilhan Omar's four identities should also all go to Somalia which is what he clearly meant, except he was only referring to her in the plural because he was just referring to her Ilhan Omar disguise which is a Somalia one, not her aliases of Ocasio Cortez, Pressley and Tlaib who are all American born and raised.

That whole forum is just a dogs dinner of racism and all kinds of bigotry. There is no defending Trump's comment without extreme mental gymnastics or deception. the people who defend him now will never be on the right side of these issues. The real problem is that so many in the middle have become apathetic to Trump. They will see this as racist but will think it's not really surprising. Trump has consistently and gradually lowered the bar for political expectations.
    They are literally the definition of what Trump meant when he made his "shooting somebody on 5th Avenue".

Lost causes the lot of them

I know this is hardly a very relevant issue but are members of the us Congress very tall or is jerry nadler very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I wonder will they run on health care for all again, despite spending the last 2.5 years suing to revoke it.

I wonder will they run on a tax break for middle earners, you know - the one that was promised at the mid terms but never happened?

Maybe he'll just run on racism and see how that plays out. Perhaps he will hump some more flags, to prove what a patriot he is. Gives him another 1.5 years to finally learn the words of the national anthem I guess.

Okay the speaker in charge for the sitting just abandoned the chair and he looked upset over something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know this is hardly a very relevant issue but are members of the us Congress very tall or is jerry nadler very short.
    He's just standing in the trough of despair for his country. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

What do you expect from "David Duke, without the baggage"

Looks like Scalise has finally got a set of matching over-size Louis Vuitton to carry round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's not surreal at all. America is a deeply racist country. It didn't start with Trump.

The apparent shock about these events is baffling if you know anything about America. Racism is endemic in all areas of America, urban and rural.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement