Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not surreal at all. America is a deeply racist country. It didn't start with Trump.

The apparent shock about these events is baffling if you know anything about America. Racism is endemic in all areas of America, urban and rural.

Which is all true, but if the prestige of public office still contains the notions of civility or our better angels, then for the sitting President of a country that would tell us is a beacon of Democracy, to be openly, crudely racist is a shock. The GOP have had their dog whistles, but this the door well and truly kicked in. As you say, America remains a deeply racist country - so who knows, perhaps this might spur some soul searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It's not surreal at all. America is a deeply racist country. It didn't start with Trump.

The apparent shock about these events is baffling if you know anything about America. Racism is endemic in all areas of America, urban and rural.

I agree America has a huge problem with racism and always has .....?but the president being an open racist in 2019 is a little surreal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

pixelburp wrote:
    Which is all true, but if the prestige of public office still contains the notions of civility or our better angels, then for the sitting President of a country that would tell us is a beacon of Democracy, to be openly, crudely racist is a shock. The GOP have had their dog whistles, but this the door well and truly kicked in. As you say, America remains a deeply racist country - so who knows, perhaps this might spur some soul searching.

Well I really don't understand why you're shocked. Granted, this is quite public.

But I guarantee that not one black American person is shocked by this.

And the idea that racism is exclusive to Republicans is also bogus.

The notion that the office of the presidency of America contains notions of civility is also a bizarre observation given that successive US presidents have signed off on wars and bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I agree America has a huge problem with racism and always has .....?but the president being an open racist in 2019 is a little surreal ?

Nope not at all. America is bonkers country, if you didn't notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Yeah always bonkers... but this is bonkers turned up to 11

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I really don't understand why you're shocked. Granted, this is quite public.

But I guarantee that not one black American person is shocked by this.

And the idea that racism is exclusive to Republicans is also bogus.

The notion that the office of the presidency of America contains notions of civility is also a bizarre observation given that successive US presidents have signed off on wars and bombing.

Oh, Kamela Harris' comments after Trump's first round of racism amounted to "yeah, this is an old trope guys, I'm not shocked".

As to civility, sure I can agree that when it comes to foreign affairs - or foreigners - countries often abandon their internal principles. But there's still a sense of decorum expected, even in matters of war (maybe even especially then). That when it comes to those in charge, to use the phrase, "the adults are in the room". Or, to use the common phrase in the Boards charter, "don't be a dick"

I suppose at this stage I shouldn't be shocked by anything. The bar continues to drop, one tweet at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I am surprised that he has not called them "Enemy of the people" yet.

It will happen. Trump is not going to go quietly. Its is scary that he is doing what Hitler did in the 1930s.

He has zero respect for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

prinzeugen wrote: »

It will happen. Trump is not going to go quietly. Its is scary that he is doing what Hitler did in the 1930s.

Trump is going to join up with ANTIFA and invade Poland?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

pixelburp wrote: »

Remember when the Dems won the mid-terms and Nancy said..
    When we take back the House we will show you what civility looks like."

So today Nancy breaks House rules, is forced to abandon the chair and yield speaking rights, until her Democrat colleagues vote to allow her words remain in the record thereby ignoring HOUSE RULES...

The Democrat Party are in chaos... so much for that civility that Nancy was talking about ...

I guess Democrats and anti-Trumpers must be wondering how could it go wrong, how could it go wrong that a near eighty year old woman who faile to get the Hilary slam dunk over the line, has now failed to unite her party or present a cohesive force to counter DJT in 2020.
    Maybe Nancy will have this figured out by 2020 when she hits 81.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Nancy calling trump a racist will be in the history books now.

What an absolute legend. ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    I wonder will they run on health care for all again, despite spending the last 2.5 years suing to revoke it.

I wonder will they run on a tax break for middle earners, you know - the one that was promised at the mid terms but never happened?

Maybe he'll just run on racism and see how that plays out. Perhaps he will hump some more flags, to prove what a patriot he is. Gives him another 1.5 years to finally learn the words of the national anthem I guess.

HE can run on the booming economy ..
    He can run on bringing NK in from the cold.
    He can run on destruction of the ISIS caliphate.
    He can even run on a love for AMerica , an America which the Democrat party and its progressive members led by The Squad are showing a great deal of hatred.

TRump has numerous angles to run on.
    but you can be sure the Democrat , the left and the anti-Trumpers will probably campaign on the Mueller report, RUSSIA4EVA is their motto, or maybe they will revert to type and blurt out the RACIST word in every second sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

prinzeugen wrote: »

He is way ahead of you on that one - he has been labelling journalists as "enemies of the people" for a while now. The same journalists one of his key bases refers to as lugenpress, the same term used by... You guessed it... The nazis!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/437610-trump-calls-press-the-enemy-of-the-people?amp

Yep Nancy broke House Rules and got a resolution in the History books.. the sort of meaningless thing the left and anti-Trumpers will celebrate.

Meawhile this week TRump supporters will celebrate the DOW, S&P and NASDAQ hitting record highs. Thats in the history books too.
    And Im very confident a booming stock market wins more votes in 2020 than a house resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not long after Pelosi herself was called out for racist targeting of Cortez and others.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Yep Nancy broke House Rules and got a resolution in the History books.. the sort of meaningless thing the left and anti-Trumpers will celebrate.

Meawhile this week TRump supporters will celebrate the DOW, S&P and NASDAQ hitting record highs. Thats in the history books too.
    And Im very confident a booming stock market wins more votes in 2020 than a house resolution.

In a month in which he’s been accused of rape, lost the census vote question, lost his Labour secretary due to getting Epstein a reduced sentence and freely admitted to being a racist.

That’s winning alright.

He inherited a great economy.
    When, not if the next recession hits, what achievements can he boast about?

Danzy wrote: »
    Not long after Pelosi herself was called out for racist targeting of Cortez and others.

AOC literally said Nancy was not racist.

Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interesting that gone are the claims that Trump is not a racist.

We have attempts to focus on Pelosi (whatwver happened to applauding someone for telling it like it is) and the economy instead of the fact that man representing the USA is a racist.

Maybe if Republicans want to focus on the economy they can find someone with TRumps policies on the economy without the racism. That is how the system should work.

The Republicans have to primary him, else they will simply be supporting racism. Certainly for the own ends (owning the libs, economic belief or racism) but supporting it nonetheless. I mean I don't expect the primary and I expect the Republicans to simply try and ignore the blatant racism as best they can.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Interesting that gone are the claims that Trump is not a racist.

We have attempts to focus on Pelosi (whatwver happened to applauding someone for telling it like it is) and the economy instead of the fact that man representing the USA is a racist.

Maybe if Republicans want to focus on the economy they can find someone with TRumps policies on the economy without the racism. That is how the system should work.

The Republicans have to primary him, else they will simply be supporting racism. Certainly for the own ends (owning the libs, economic belief or racism) but supporting it nonetheless. I mean I don't expect the primary and I expect the Republicans to simply try and ignore the blatant racism as best they can.

It’s diversion tactics.
    People aren’t falling for it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

A booming economy sure worked great for the democrats in 2016, having fixed the biggest economic disaster in almost a century that the republicans oversaw.

This bubble is going to burst, and the fallout will be horrendous. Even more so than 2008, which I'm sure people who think this wont go tits up didn't heed warnings on either. Stocks are largely not being invested in by people who can withdraw them when cash gets tight, but by executives buying back shares. The rich are getting richer, but the poor and middle class certainly are not doing likewise, and when the arse falls out of it, it will be them left to pick up the pieces. Of course, people in such a desperate situation could find themselves desperate enough to fall for a con man promising to make it all great again.

Best of all, I guarantee beyond any and every shadow of a doubt that if Trump loses in 2020, you won't blame him but the person after him. And if he wins, you'll blame who he tells you to blame, rather than thinking for yourself, and will wind up claiming it all the fault of a random representative in the Tuscon city council with no power over it, or some other similar nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,832 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The House of Representatives have passed a resolution condemning president trump for his racist remarks towards the four democratic congresswomen. Four republicans voted with the resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If you invested 100 dollars in those markets at the start of Obama's term for 2 and a half years, you would have made about 60 dollars.

Investing 100 dollars in those markets under Trump over the same period would get you about 25 dollars. I can show you some graphs if you like.

Now if I offered you a gift of 60 dollars or 25 dollars, which would you prefer?

In a month in which he’s been accused of rape, lost the census vote question, lost his Labour secretary due to getting Epstein a reduced sentence and freely admitted to being a racist.

That’s winning alright.

He inherited a great economy.
    When, not if the next recession hits, what achievements can he boast about?

The ISIS caliphate, which TRump inherited from Obama thanks to Obamas disatrous foreign policy has been virtually destroyed orat least reduced to 90% of what it was when he took office.

Thats already in the History books.

Who can forget when Obama referred to them as the JV of terrorist groups.. junior varsity

If you invested 100 dollars in those markets at the start of Obama's term for 2 and a half years, you would have made about 60 dollars.

Investing 100 dollars in those markets under Trump over the same period would get you about 25 dollars. I can show you some graphs if you like.

Now if I offered you a gift of 60 dollars or 35 dollars, which would you prefer?

well that depends who paid for it.

If like Obama you offer me 60 dollars and say WALL STREET will get 4 TRILLION dollars and every saver in America will pay for every dollar of that 4 trillion gift to the rich .. then personally I would say no.

but if you offer me 35 dollars like Trump and say every unemployed worker will have a chance of a job, the American middle class saver will NOT be penalised and theres no 4 trillion dollar gift to Wall Street then Id say yes to that.

A booming economy sure worked great for the democrats in 2016, having fixed the biggest economic disaster in almost a century that the republicans oversaw.

This bubble is going to burst, and the fallout will be horrendous. Even more so than 2008, which I'm sure people who think this wont go tits up didn't heed warnings on either. Stocks are largely not being invested in by people who can withdraw them when cash gets tight, but by executives buying back shares. The rich are getting richer, but the poor and middle class certainly are not doing likewise, and when the arse falls out of it, it will be them left to pick up the pieces. Of course, people in such a desperate situation could find themselves desperate enough to fall for a con man promising to make it all great again.

Best of all, I guarantee beyond any and every shadow of a doubt that if Trump loses in 2020, you won't blame him but the person after him. And if he wins, you'll blame who he tells you to blame, rather than thinking for yourself, and will wind up claiming it all the fault of a random representative in the Tuscon city council with no power over it, or some other similar nonsense.

thats an awful lot you seem very sure of what I will say in 2020.
    And you veen guarantee it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Your wrong on every declaration you make of what I will say in 2020 under such a scenario, of course, beyond a shadow of a doubt you are wrong about what I will say.

SNIP. Cut out the propaganda posts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

well that depends who paid for it.

If like Obama you offer me 60 dollars and say WALL STREET will get 4 TRILLION dollars and every saver in America will pay for every dollar of that 4 trillion gift to the rich .. then personally I would say no.

but if you offer me 35 dollars like Trump and say every unemployed worker will have a chance of a job, the American middle class saver will NOT be penalised and theres no 4 trillion dollar gift to Wall Street then Id say yes to that.

I knew you'd prefer the 25 dollars over 60 dollars. That's just how it is when you support Trump. What's interesting is how far you're willing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Happy the symbolic vote passed, as much for how upset the Trumpettes will be and already are about someone just telling it like it is. I guess the phrase suck it up buttercup isn't as popular with them at the minute.

Oh all the winning would just wear you out. No wonder he took a break from it after 2016.

The newly thought up excuse, the "strategy" isn't going to work and I'd imagine his campaign people will urge him to attack a better line and length, divide of course, be outrageous of course, but he needs to pick a better target, gonna be a tough one for him but with his reality TV nous I won't count him out yet.

A racist tough talking yet ultimately cowardly president, offended by every perceived critique, and a fanbase who are equally sensitive if not more, hilarious.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Happy the symbolic vote passed, as much for how upset the Trumpettes will be and already are about someone just telling it like it is. I guess the phrase suck it up buttercup isn't as popular with them at the minute.

Oh all the winning would just wear you out. No wonder he took a break from it after 2016.

The newly thought up excuse, the "strategy" isn't going to work and I'd imagine his campaign people will urge him to attack a better line and length, divide of course, be outrageous of course, but he needs to pick a better target, gonna be a tough one for him but with his reality TV nous I won't count him out yet.

A racist tough talking yet ultimately cowardly president, offended by every perceived critique, and a fanbase who are equally sensitive if not more, hilarious.

Why do you call him cowardly

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I knew you'd prefer the 25 dollars over 60 dollars. That's just how it is when you support Trump. What's interesting is how far you're willing to go.

Do you think he knows that it was Bush that signed the bailout?

• Advertisement

Midlife wrote: »
    Do you think he knows that it was Bush that signed the bailout?

Thats impressive so your saying among other things that Bush signed off on QE3 in 2012 injecting $40 billion into Wall Street each month, and raising to 80 billion at its peak ...

Thats very impressive and here was me thinking Bush was back on his ranch riding his mountain bike around as he liked todo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement