Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I knew you'd prefer the 25 dollars over 60 dollars. That's just how it is when you support Trump. What's interesting is how far you're willing to go.

yep your right

I like TRump hes given me 35 dollars and he took 5 million people OFF food stamps bringing it to a 10 yer low

you like Obama, he gave you 60 dollars and added 10 million (14 million added at its peak) people to food stamps .

thats okay its a free country , you like leaders who make you money and add people to food stamps queues, I like leaders who make me money whilst also taking other people off food stamps queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Thats impressive so your saying among other things that Bush signed off on QE3 in 2012 injecting $40 billion into Wall Street each month, and raising to 80 billion at its peak ...

Thats very impressive and here was me thinking Bush was back on his ranch riding his mountain bike around as he liked todo.

Any chance of a source or explanation?

Midlife wrote: »
    Any chance of a source or explanation?

what you need an explanation of what QE3 is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

yep your right

I like TRump he took 5 million people OFF food stamps bringing it to a 10 yer low

you like Obama, he added 10 million (14 million added at its peak) people to food stamps .

thats okay its a free country , you like leaders who add people to food stamps queues, I like leaders who take them off food stamps queues.

The one thing I have noticed with you is almost the ironclad belief that the 2008 financial crash never happened or had no bearing on the economy. I mean, it's very much accepted that poverty levels increased dramatically due to the crash and that explains the increase in food stamp usage and the horrible economy that Obama had to deal with. Yet, you claim it was almost entirely Obama's fault and that he himself "added 10 million people to food stamps"

Tell me, what was the name of the President at the time of the crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    yep your right

I like TRump he took 5 million people OFF food stamps bringing it to a 10 yer low

you like Obama, he added 10 million (14 million added at its peak) people to food stamps .

thats okay its a free country , you like leaders who add people to food stamps queues, I like leaders who take them off food stamps queues.

The one thing I have noticed with you is almost the ironclad belief that the 2008 financial crash never happened or had no bearing on the economy. I mean, it's very much accepted that poverty levels increased dramatically due to the crash and that explains the increase in food stamp usage and the horrible economy that Obama had to deal with. Yet, you claim it was almost entirely Obama's fault and that he himself "added 10 million people to food stamps"

And what was the name of the President when Quantitative Easing was introduced (QE 1) in the first place in 2008? And what was the name of the President that destroyed Iraq and it's system of law and order, and led to the insurgency that created ISIL/ISIS in the 1st place? Hint for the historically challenged: it wasn't Obama...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I admire almost all of you discussing even the most ridiculous minutiae of the Trump administration, I certainly respect those who think that a proper political discourse means to try to convince other people to understand your arguments or trying to understand their's.
    It's pointless. Once brainwashed they stick to their opinion, it's 101 psychology.

Trump and the disfunctional administration he created are way beyond any sober discourse among political minded people.

Even worse, when I read international news, even beyond the English language reach, I still see journalists grabbling to interpret Trump, to treat him as the president of the US, meaning to take him seriously.

I'm sick of it, and I'm fed up with all the distraction discussions on boards o other social media.

I'm sure most of you see him for what he is, but there is still the respect for an office that really doesn't exist anymore.

Trump is a demented moron, in place of more explicit attributes, he is dangerous not because of his non-existent policies, but because of his personal grievances. That's all what it is about.

I'm German, I'm well educated about fascism, probably better than most of you who defend Trump.
    To put it very simply: Hitler didn't have any well thought-out policies either, he was just a disgruntled old git with a penchant for young submissive and very blonde women and a hatred for people who were, well, "other". What he was good at was firing up hatred among his equally disgruntled followers, dividing the populace and finally killing everyone who didn't love him.
    But for years everyone was delighted because "the economy was great" again. Until it wasn't, in 1945.

Sounds familiar?
    Maybe the comparison sounds a bit exaggerated to some of you. But I think it's not.

Trump should not be interpreted, should not be excused. He should be called out for what he is: A demented danger to the world as long as the executive power of his government refuses to see beyond their partisan interests.

Fo all I care the US can go down the sewer of history. But unfortunately they can do (did and still do) a lot of destruction to the whole world we live in.

I want Trump gone. And in the most disgraceful way ever.
    And while I'm at it, I want the US as a "world power" gone. With all their bigotry, hatred and racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Yep Nancy broke House Rules and got a resolution in the History books.. the sort of meaningless thing the left and anti-Trumpers will celebrate.

Meawhile this week TRump supporters will celebrate the DOW, S&P and NASDAQ hitting record highs. Thats in the history books too.
    And Im very confident a booming stock market wins more votes in 2020 than a house resolution.

Trump obstructs justice multiple times, sides with Russia over hacking, carries out a felony in order to help win the election, has his charity shut down, settles law suits where people were defrauded out of thousands of dollars by his "college", disgraced the US on the international stage, had people in his own administration working against him to protect the US from his own incompetence, attacks the press, the judiciary, makes racist statements - *nothing*

Nancy Pelosi calls him a racist - *outrage*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The ISIS caliphate, which TRump inherited from Obama thanks to Obamas disatrous foreign policy has been virtually destroyed orat least reduced to 90% of what it was when he took office.

Thats already in the History books.

Who can forget when Obama referred to them as the JV of terrorist groups.. junior varsity

I’m a bigger fool for engaging with you and your sound bites.
    But America did not defeat isis, a coalition of many countries defeated isis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I’m a bigger fool for engaging with you and your sound bites.
    But America did not defeat isis, a coalition of many countries defeated isis.

Also worth noting that much of the work towards defeating ISIS predated Trump's presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Happy the symbolic vote passed, as much for how upset the Trumpettes will be and already are about someone just telling it like it is. I guess the phrase suck it up buttercup isn't as popular with them at the minute.

Oh all the winning would just wear you out. No wonder he took a break from it after 2016.

The newly thought up excuse, the "strategy" isn't going to work and I'd imagine his campaign people will urge him to attack a better line and length, divide of course, be outrageous of course, but he needs to pick a better target, gonna be a tough one for him but with his reality TV nous I won't count him out yet.

A racist tough talking yet ultimately cowardly president, offended by every perceived critique, and a fanbase who are equally sensitive if not more, hilarious.

Why do you call him cowardly

Because of his cowardly actions.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »
    I admire almost all of you discussing even the most ridiculous minutiae of the Trump administration, I certainly respect those who think that a proper political discourse means to try to convince other people to understand your arguments or trying to understand their's.
    It's pointless. Once brainwashed they stick to their opinion, it's 101 psychology.

Trump and the disfunctional administration he created are way beyond any sober discourse among political minded people.

Even worse, when I read international news, even beyond the English language reach, I still see journalists grabbling to interpret Trump, to treat him as the president of the US, meaning to take him seriously.

I'm sick of it, and I'm fed up with all the distraction discussions on boards o other social media.

I'm sure most of you see him for what he is, but there is still the respect for an office that really doesn't exist anymore.

Trump is a demented moron, in place of more explicit attributes, he is dangerous not because of his non-existent policies, but because of his personal grievances. That's all what it is about.

I'm German, I'm well educated about fascism, probably better than most of you who defend Trump.
    To put it very simply: Hitler didn't have any well thought-out policies either, he was just a disgruntled old git with a penchant for young submissive and very blonde women and a hatred for people who were, well, "other". What he was good at was firing up hatred among his equally disgruntled followers, dividing the populace and finally killing everyone who didn't love him.
    But for years everyone was delighted because "the economy was great" again. Until it wasn't, in 1945.

Sounds familiar?
    Maybe the comparison sounds a bit exaggerated to some of you. But I think it's not.

Trump should not be interpreted, should not be excused. He should be called out for what he is: A demented danger to the world as long as the executive power of his government refuses to see beyond their partisan interests.

Fo all I care the US can go down the sewer of history. But unfortunately they can do (did and still do) a lot of destruction to the whole world we live in.

I want Trump gone. And in the most disgraceful way ever.
    And while I'm at it, I want the US as a "world power" gone. With all their bigotry, hatred and racism

I expect the irony of saying your well educated on facism and bringing up Hitlers regime of terror , and then wishing that America 'be gone' is lost on an anti-Trumper.

Considering America was the nation whose belated entry into WW2 brought about the ultimate demise of Hitler.
    moving on ...
    This was the masterpiece of TRumps actions this week, this was why the tweets and press conference were so seismic.

They have forced not only Democrats but also anti-TRumpers and liberals to finally pin their true colours to the mast.

Just as The Squad have been exposed for their hatred of America and hte Democrat party has chosen to back their hatred of the nation 3 of 4 were born in.
    The anti-TRumpers are also declaring their hatred for America..
    And while I'm at it, I want the US as a "world power" gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I expect the irony of saying your well educated on facism and bringing up Hitlers regime of terror , and then wishing that America 'be gone' is lost on an anti-Trumper.

Considering America was the nation whose belated entry into WW2 brought about the ultimate demise of Hitler.
    moving on ...
    This was the masterpiece of TRumps actions this week, this was why the tweets and press conference were so seismic.

They have forced not only Democrats but also anti-TRumpers and liberals to finally pin their true colours to the mast.

Just as The Squad have been exposed for their hatred of America and hte Democrat party has chosen to back their hatred of the nation 3 of 4 were born in.
    The anti-TRumpers are also declaring their hatred for America..

Are you not ashamed to call racist tweets a masterpiece? As a point of note, the handbook of workplace practices published by the federal government word for word defines saying to someone go back to where you came from as racist, so you cant get any clearer than that or do you disagree with the federal governments publications now?

Hatred of America? You do know how stupid that sounds, yes they complain about America just like Trump did in his election campaign in 2016, should he go back to Scotland or Germany then? If you are from a country you have every right to complain about it to make it better

In your own warped ideals would siding with the President of Russia against your own intelligence service not constitute a hatred of your country?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

moving on ...

Your attempt to reframe racist ignorance as some kind of tactical masterpiece marks it as insulting to everyone here trying to debate in good faith. There's a clear lack of Trump sympathetic voices in this thread, but you aren't it. At best his blurting out was accidentally racist, too stupid to realise 3 of the 4 'Squad' were born in the US - at worst he let the mask slip. There is no 4D chess here, no matter how much you want it to be the case. You would call the "Anti-TRumpers" the hysterical ones yet here you are, blathering masterpieces over a clearly racist tweet. Well done.

Your fan worship of Trump is frankly makes you intractable, and going by your previous posts pillorying those who don't wear cheap metal pins on their collars as "Anti American", or that those following the American Dream should be mocked, you have no intention on being civil, mature or reasoned. I had you blocked but people insist on replying to your posts, even though it's clear you would rather move the goalposts on racism that admit that Your Man is a poor human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭Cody montana

batgoat wrote: »
    Also worth noting that much of the work towards defeating ISIS predated Trump's presidency.

Of course it was.
    President Bone Spurs defeated isis on his own! Also, they haven’t gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Jamiekelly wrote: »

Rigolo ignores this arc of the discussion. Direct questions get whataboutery. The tGOP broke the economy from 2000 to 2008 and required $800bn to keep the economy from cratering. Yes, when Obama took over there was a need for infusion of money to keep it afloat, and yes, lots of people went on food stamps. Plus there was the 'off the books' accounting for the Iraq invasion that went on the books (and raised the deficit, of course).

Fortunately, the steps taken under Obama gave us the economy Trump inherited, which he's spiked with the tax cut. $1.5tn at the stroke of a pen added to the deficit - which again, puts paid to Rigolo's complaining about the deficit going up. See, it's o.k. for Trump to raise the deficit, but not anyone else, even when the economy was shedding nearly a million jobs a month.

This is why my counterargument to the nims who bang on about the deficit is, it doesn't matter. Because if it did, it'd be addressed. The answer is, print more money.

In other interesting news, one-time Trump head of the voter fraud commission and well-known tGOP vote suppressor Kris Kobach, got schooled by Chris Cuomo in an interview on CNN. When asked directly if, hypothetically, Trump said "I am a racist" would Kobach still endorse him, Kobach refused to answer. Cuomo pointed out that Trump also only ever says, "I am the least racist." Not he's not a racist, just that there's some measure of racism and he's the least.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kris-kobach-donald-trump-racist_n_5d2e7fa5e4b0a873f6436efc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

pixelburp wrote: »
    Your attempt to reframe racist ignorance as some kind of tactical masterpiece marks it as insulting to everyone here trying to debate in good faith. There's a clear lack of Trump sympathetic voices in this thread, but you aren't it. At best his blurting out was accidentally racist, too stupid to realise 3 of the 4 'Squad' were born in the US - at worst he let the mask slip. There is no 4D chess here, no matter how much you want it to be the case. You would call the "Anti-TRumpers" the hysterical ones yet here you are, blathering masterpieces over a clearly racist tweet. Well done.

Your fan worship of Trump is frankly makes you intractable, and going by your previous posts pillorying those who don't wear cheap metal pins on their collars as "Anti American", or that those following the American Dream should be mocked, you have no intention on being civil, mature or reasoned. I had you blocked but people insist on replying to your posts, even though it's clear you would rather move the goalposts on racism that admit that Your Man is a poor human being.

There is no 4 d chess as you say.

Even if there was using and encouraging racism for the sake of staying in power is still just racist.

Trump is a racist. He is also the face of the Republican party as it stands. Until they face him down they have to accept that they are supporting racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Christy42 wrote: »
    Until they face him down they have to accept that they are supporting racism.

Can't ever see this happening, the Cult of Personality effectively ensures there is no Republican party without him. Self interest and fear ensure political paralysis. Impeachment is out for the same reason.

2020 is the only hope of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Can't ever see this happening, the Cult of Personality effectively ensures there is no Republican party without him. Self interest and fear ensure political paralysis. Impeachment is out for the same reason.

2020 is the only hope of change.

There was a good point made on this in an article in Reuters today. essentially, Republicans in the Senate and House are terrified of crossing Trump due to his vindictive nature. Apparently, the belief is that he never forgets if you disagree with him and makes sure to tweet negatively about you when he can do the most damage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »
    There is no 4 d chess as you say.

Even if there was using and encouraging racism for the sake of staying in power is still just racist.

Trump is a racist. He is also the face of the Republican party as it stands. Until they face him down they have to accept that they are supporting racism.

The thing about Trump is that he is driven by a single solitary motive - What's best for him.

Nothing else matters and he will say or do anything as long as he thinks it will benefit him.

Is Trump a Racist? Yes , without question and a rampant misogynist too.

Is he more racist/misogynist than a lot of Americans of his generation? Probably not if we're being honest.

Others know better than to say it out loud though (there's a whole other discussion to be had about which is worse tbh)

He does not care or even think about the impact of his actions elsewhere. He just thinks about him and the here and now.

Right now , all that matters to Trump is getting re-elected - Not "Making America Great" or any other slogan.

It's all about remaining in Power so he can get rich and stay out of jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trump's only aim was to force the Democratic Party to get behind the Squad and to make them the face of the Democrats.

He has succeeded in that, with just a few tweets.

Pelosi must be bucking with anger, she was trying to insulate the party from them, no chance now.

It also makes these 4 more important than most of the nominees, the telegenic loony wing, who the electorate really dislike.

Biden Harris,Sanders must be raging that so much attention is given to them as well. They know it will cost them votes.

Trump will do or say anything to increase the Squads profile and make the Democrats publicly rally around them.

This will be the first of many spats he'll engineer between them, the only thing he'll ask is what will get them on the news and raise their profile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There was a good point made on this in an article in Reuters today. essentially, Republicans in the Senate and House are terrified of crossing Trump due to his vindictive nature. Apparently, the belief is that he never forgets if you disagree with him and makes sure to tweet negatively about you when he can do the most damage.

For most of the GOP , they are in bulletproof seats and their only risk come election time is in getting primaried.

Given Trumps vindictive nature and insistence on absolute fealty , they are all terrified that he'll drive a primary challenger to unseat them, hence the silence.

It is absolutely no coincidence that the only GOP members to even remotely speak out against his awfulness are those in Swing States/districts as they need Independents to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump's only aim was to force the Democratic Party to get behind the Squad and to make them the face of the Democrats.

Pelosi must be bucking with anger, she was trying to insulate the party from them, no chance now.

It also makes these 4 more important than most of the nominees, the telegenic loony wing, who the electorate really dislike.

Biden Harris,Sanders must be raging that so much attention is given to them as well. They know it will cost them votes.

Trump will do or say anything to increase the Squads profile and make the Democrats publicly rally around them.

This will be the first of many spats he'll engineer between them, the only thing he'll ask is what will get them on the news and raise their profile.

Are you personally ok with using racism to achieve this? Trump is the racist here. Trump being the racist is also the main news story to come out (though it hasn't really hurt him which is unsurprising but worrying).

I mean that is not what is happening. Trump is just a garden variety racist where people are trying to retcon his actions as genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

But at the end of the day none of "the squad" are running for election. Your point is right though I think. These women have pretty low favourability ratings on a national level so painting them as the face of the party will probably be effective.

It's a sad indictment of America that a guy who's an open racist and mysoginist enjoys around 45% support

Most likely within the next 2 or 3 hours another tweet will be released attacking them and those who hate American (and Israel :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He has succeeded in unifying the Dems against him. Did you miss the censure from the House yesterday?

The Dems debates will start in earnest soon and the attention will be on the candidates. Epstein, Mueller, Stone - all of these things will move matters along very quickly. Don't get me wrong - Fox will fixate as usual on these ladies, but their audience are lost to the voice of reason anyway.

A reminder - they are four votes. Only the Trump faithful could equate that to being the "face of the Democrats".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

everlast75 wrote: »
    He has succeeded in unifying the Dems against him. Did you miss the censure from the House yesterday?

The Dems debates will start in earnest soon and the attention will be on the candidates. Epstein, Mueller, Stone - all of these things will move matters along very quickly. Don't get me wrong - Fox will fixate as usual on these ladies, but their audience are lost to the voice of reason anyway.

A reminder - they are four votes. Only the Trump faithful could equate that to being the "face of the Democrats".
    It's less about their votes and more about how they might be viewed in key battle grounds. They aren't the face of the Dems but they get a lot of attention and suggesting they are is a good political move. Last time people voted for Trump because they disliked him less.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's less about their votes and more about how they might be viewed in key battle grounds. They aren't the face of the Dems but they get a lot of attention and suggesting they are is a good political move. Last time people voted for Trump because they disliked him less.

But the election really cranks into action will they be though, it will be wall to wall coverage of just say Biden and Trump except on Fox where you will be preaching to converting there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So, using the argument that the squad will be the face of the democrats, how does the GOP justify putting up people like Roy Moore? Or Ted Cruz? Or even Trump himself. Surely the genius plan that Trump has created also works the other way around?

Why are the GOP not worried about that? It doesn't make sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So he’s targeted these four ladies and weaponsied their stance in order to make people dislike them (further)? And made them the face of the Democrats?
    Do I have that right?
    That’s a really dangerous move for them. Omar already received credible death threats a few months back and at least one loon arrested. He left her some horrific voicemails and emails as far as I know.

If that is in fact what trumps done it’s really frightening. Hope I’m wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kilns wrote: »
    But the election really cranks into action will they be though, it will be wall to wall coverage of just say Biden and Trump except on Fox where you will be preaching to converting there anyway
    If it is Biden who gets selected it might be less of a problem but they are a prime target in those swing states. As has been mentioned before AOC doesn't have a positive national profile and given how regularly she shows up she's a perfect attack ad. Fox have 2.5m viewers BTW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement