Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

everlast75 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at some on here still defending him, when even Ben Shapiro and Piers Morgan are calling Trump out on last night, the latter saying

"What happened in North Carolina last night was not just racist-fueled demagoguery, but bordered on facism"

Was Ben Shapiro ever really a Trump-head?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yeah I dont particularly like her but she's a sharp politician and I think would think she would stand up to Trump's bullying tactics. Whether that would be good enough I dont know. The reason its so hard for an Incumbent president to lose a re-election is that they dont have to go through a primary whereas the democratic nominee will be coming into the election battered and bruised from the primary

Could make a good Gov. of California but can't see her getting the big seat.

Certainly talented but have to really up the game if she is to be in to win.

See the Squad are still piling in on Pelosi hard.

Saying that she can request a meeting if she needs clarification and “Acknowledge the fact that we are women of color, so when you do single us out, be aware of that and what you’re doing".

Back to the old Nancy the Nazi line.

Even if Trump did not exist these 4 loopers would be an existential threat to a party.

Shapiro is more Reagan Libertarin type.

Trump is trashing Reganism with his approach to trade and migrant crackdowns.

Probably the only significant rollback of neoliberal economics in the West in decades.

Shapiro isn't that in to him, understandably.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

No. During the election he was actually pretty vocally anti-Trump.

But he's also massively conservative and critical of liberals. I just assumed his dislike of 'The Left(tm)' would outweigh his own personal morals. I still disagree with most everything the man stands for, but he's doesn't seem to be a "Republican at any cost" type conservative.

Which, frankly, America needs more of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When some of the shade of Ben Shapiro is the voice of reason, you know that perhaps this whole situation has slipped from Trump & the GOPs grasp. Actually, I leave Trump out of this because he is probably loving the attention. The GOP's cowardice in the face of cultish partisanship is more shameful.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

Saying that she can request a meeting if

The thing about Trump is that he's such an unorthodox character that he kind of dwarfs everything/everyone in his path. Whoever comes up against him needs to figure out a way to get around that. Shouting out creep and racist isn't working

pixelburp wrote: »
    When some of the shade of Ben Shapiro is the voice of reason, you know that perhaps this whole situation has slipped from Trump & the GOPs grasp. Actually, I leave Trump out of this because he is probably loving the attention. The GOP's cowardice in the face of cultish partisanship is more shameful.

The Republican Party of Reagan is dying.

Trump's election marks the end of the period that began with Ronnie and Mags and imploded in 2008.

The whole worl’s in a state o’ chassis.

Doesn't mean he dislikes Reagan but he has undermined the foundation of Reagan's America.

It has been pointed out before that Sanders on Trump have several key outlooks in common.

Cue: Trump says or tweets something outrageous/offensive, Media and left/moderates are up in arms, a national debate is had for 3 or 4 days, not a peep out of republicans/conservatives bar one or 2.Trump doubles triples and quadruples down and keeps digging himself a hole but the republicans remain silent. still Story dies down and in a few weeks is largely forgotten. We move on. Welcome to the world of Trump

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are you really trying to claim my post about Trump being a racist is off topic to require a new thread???

No, and you should be embarrassed if that's what you took from my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

pixelburp wrote: »

Their cowardice is more understandable as self-preservation when you realise that support for Trump actually increased after his racist tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But who do you get behind? Joe Biden' s numbers are falling already so that dosent bode well for beating Trump. Bernie and Warren will never have unaminous support among the democratic base. Kamala Harris looks a strong fighting candidate but she is black and a woman so Trump and his people will have a field day with that. Other candidates like Buttigieg and Beto are weak soup and thats pretty much it. As it stands Trump will probably get re-elected 2020

Harris is very unpopular with the activist base of the Democrats, especially among young blacks in it, over her time as a Prosecutor in California.

So her biggest problems remain internal.

Outside of set pieces, she isn't that strong a candidate.

What were Trumps numbers with the GOP before the primaries? There was even talk of some way of getting rid of him at the party convention. Don't forget how disliked Trump was by the GOP before the election simply because they have all uturned since then.

As to your claim about only being good at set pieces....really? That is the only thing Trump has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

Why? You asked me to make a new thread for Trump's racism. Seems like the logical conclusion to me. This is usually what is meant by making a user to create a thread.

Why? You asked me to make a new thread for Trump's racism. Seems like the logical conclusion to me. This is usually what is meant by making a user to create a thread.

You were complaining that there were posts in here not about racism. I told you to create a racism thread as well so all that's in it is racism. I didn't say it was off-topic in here at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Their cowardice is more understandable as self-preservation when you realise that support for Trump actually increased after his racist tweets.

I might be misunderstanding you but how is them condemning the remarks cowardice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I might be misunderstanding you but how is them condemning the remarks cowardice?

Is that what the post said? I thought it was referring to the lack of condemnation of the tweets by Rep politicians. Maybe I misread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Saying that she can request a meeting if she needs clarification and “Acknowledge the fact that we are women of color, so when you do single us out, be aware of that and what you’re doing".

Back to the old Nancy the Nazi line.

Even if Trump did not exist these 4 loopers would be an existential threat to a party.

Stop calling them loopers as they are far from that, they have their vision for America which many agree with, Trump has is which some agree with too, so by definition he is looper too? Or if they dont agree with your ideals everyone is a looper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭DreamsBurnDown

What's being lost a little in all of this is that Trump is now unwittingly helping Democrats chances in 2020. To win the national election you must not alone get your own vote out but also appeal to enough Independents, obviously in particular in swing states. This weeks events has turned off a lot of Independents, and mobilized Democrats. Trump's base simply isn't enough to win an election.

It also exposes that Trump is unable to execute tactically on what could have been a winning strategy in a good economy. Painting the progressive wing of the Democrats as extreme and endangering the economy may well have worked, if executed by someone with nuance, but Trump doesn't do nuance.

Make no mistake, this has seriously damaged his chances in 2020, Democrats need to unite and take advantage. The sooner the field of 20 candidates is whittled down to single digits the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭Christy42

You were complaining that there were posts in here not about racism. I told you to create a racism thread as well so all that's in it is racism. I didn't say it was off-topic in here at all.

Because it is just deflecting. That is all it is. How many times does it happen here? How many times does it happen in the news cycle as someone else mentioned?

Any defense of Trump at this point just has a massive glaring hole in it now if it does not address this point. It is a rather big deal to have an overt racist as the head of the US government.

It is why we get repeated news dumps with bad capitalisation going on about the economy. It is why some were trying to focus solely on nationwide popularity polls for people not running for the presidency.

Certainly I never said this only had to be about racism. However when it is obviously deflected from I will call it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Some good news.

Epstein's bail has been refused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

Time to unfollow for a while, not just this thread but the whole US fiasco. "Send her back", actually makes me feel sick to hear that coming from a country once so highly regarded. The man has trashed the reputation and credibility of the US, all to make himself feel good, will it ever recover?

The tit for tat here has also become tiresome, every day is like Groundhog day.

Maybe see you all down the line.

I'm now expecting a MAGA cap wearing goon to try and kill one or more of "the Squad" or someone on the nutty radical left to try to kill Trump. I think it's not question of whether it'll happen only when and to which.
    It already has happened, a Trump supporter called Cesar sayoc sent bombs to a number of high profile politicians last year.

Trump supporters of course, couldn't care in the least. They were, expectedly, too busy claiming the democrats were sending bombs to themselves to make Trump look bad.

The hard man terrorist Trump supporter who did this, also expectedly, cried like a f***ing child - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/nyregion/cesar-sayoc-trump-mail-bomber.amp.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

kilns wrote: »
    Yes the economy has improved since 2016 and is mainly reflected in the low job figures, but at what cost? the tax cuts to the companies - which is put the deficit at dangerous levels and which leaves it as a ticking time bomb. All economies are cyclical and a recession will happen at some stage and be the irresponsible short sighted actions American will not be equipped to deal with the next recession, it is not a huge surprise consider Trumps business track record.

So when the American economy implodes and the corporations head for the hills taking their money with them, I presume, Trump and his supporters will take full responsibility also and not lay the blame elsewhere?

so trump gets no credit for the upturn in the economy but should get blame if it goes bust?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What were Trumps numbers with the GOP before the primaries? There was even talk of some way of getting rid of him at the party convention. Don't forget how disliked Trump was by the GOP before the election simply because they have all uturned since then.

As to your claim about only being good at set pieces....really? That is the only thing Trump has.

By this stage, Trump was the clear favourite, 10% lead, a month after declaring and 20% lead by August.

Kamala might not even win her home State should but it looks close for the primary at the moment.

Polling very bad with Hispanic as well.

She is a strong contender for it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Unrelated but this reminds me of Caesar crossing the Rubicon because he was going to lose his immunity when he stopped being governor. I think.

I don't think Trump is going to do anything. What can he honestly do? He doesn't have an army.

Unfortunately, while he may not have a federal army at his beck and call for any unconstitutional purpose, he has been able to get people on both sides into a mindset as to the other. He can stir up feelings of unrest with a quote if minded and finish it off, after a pause of some seconds, with a shrug of his shoulders & a plausible deniability attachment of "maybe, what do I know".

There are some organised groups in "club" uniforms which have chosen him as a figurehead to work off frustrations and have appeared at his public re-election events dressed in their "club" uniforms and he is fully aware of their choice of him as a figurehead. He knows his rhetoric will cause public disturbances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

You’re somehow crediting Trump with American investment into Ireland.

That’s just a little bit ridiculous.

Can he take credit for henry ford setting up a car factory in cork last century?

Think you’ll find America investment has always happened here and will continue regardless of trump

In fact he despises American corporations moving jobs overseas.

Except for his cheap MAGA tat made in China. Of course.

you would have many posters here stating trump has too much influence, you say he has none. which is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

Are you really trying to claim my post about Trump being a racist is off topic to require a new thread???

I'll go out on a limb here and take a guess that the reason he thought you wanted him to start a new thread when posting about Trumps clear racism is the part where you said "Go start a Trump Racism thread if you need your Trump is a racist fix."

Could you clarify what you meant by that maybe? It could clear up the whole misunderstanding you two are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There has been court documents(?) related to michael cohen released today. Just from the headline(there isn't anywhere I can see that has the actual documents yet), they implicate Trump, Hope Hicks, and David Pecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There has been court documents(?) related to michael cohen released today. Just from the headline(there isn't anywhere I can see that has the actual documents yet), they implicate Trump, Hope Hicks, and David Pecker.

You'd wonder why there weren't any further charges

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Well trump can’t be charged but why hope Hicks is still walking around the parish charge free I don’t know unless there is something else that we don’t know that has been kept back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Based on articles over the past week or so, I suspect that Barr has shut down some of the ongoing investigations, and the campaign finance one in the Trump Organisation was one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

so trump gets no credit for the upturn in the economy but should get blame if it goes bust?

I did not say that yes he gets credit for the up turn on the economy but it comes with a but, he has artificially pumped it without being fiscally responsible. It’s like maxing out all your credit cards and remortgaging your house and then going on a spending spree, great at the time but at some stage the credit card needs to be paid off and the mortgage as to be repaid. It’s not just trump it happens the world over with politicians but he needs to take the blame as well as the praise it goes both ways. If the economy starts turning before 2020 he is dead in the water and he knows it. He doesn’t care after that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement