Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's not being anti Trump that's the problem (even though that's weird because you're not an American citizen presumably), it's that you dislike his voters using snobby and disparaging language about them.

I don't have to answer your questions. You have a severe issue that when challenged, you assume it's because the challenger is a supporter of Trump. You can't grasp the idea that you may be wrong.

You know whats become clearer here is that you actually misunderstood the original comment, thinking it was a reference to actual education i.e. a degree or whatever, and now you feel kinda foolish upon the realization that this was obviously not the case at all. Doubling down seems to be the best way out though right?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You know whats become clearer here is that you actually misunderstood the original comment, thinking it was a reference to actual education i.e. a degree or whatever, and now you feel kinda foolish upon the realization that this was obviously not the case at all. Doubling down seems to be the best way out though right?

A running theme with the last few Trumpards. And all of them I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm ok with you not liking me, (though obviously as nothing was mentioned about race at all your comment is a bit odd) and I am assuming you also view Donald John Trump through

Ok. So any future things I say should be prefaced by my views on Trump.

The seemingly unawareness of how horrible your comments were about Trump voters is a disappointing sign.

You are part of the problem unfortunately.

A running theme with the last few Trumpards. And all of them I guess.

Yet more snobby/offensive comments. Part of the problem. Just as bad as Trump die hards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yet more snobby/offensive comments. Part of the problem. Just as bad as Trump die hards.

I personally don't think its snobbery and its certainly not snobbish to say that a lot of Trump supporters need some education. It's the plain truth. I'm glad that Fox are showing Mueller's testimony. Their viewers might actually learn something valuable from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

We know exactly what you meant. You were slagging off those that watch Fox News.

And then you come on pretending to be Mr nice guy who opposes racism.

It's nothing to do with racism. Fox viewers are the most misinformed among viewers of mainstream media.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all. Those watching only " The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" answered 1.42 questions correctly and people who only listened to NPR or only watched Sunday morning political talk shows answered 1.51 questions correctly.

4fbbf449eab8ea4c79000007-480-268.jpg
    Since they are less informed than people who watch no news, it raises some interesting questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

There’s a dangerous idiot in the White House. Thats a problem.
    The Republican Party aren’t even trying to come out against his racism and destruction of American society. And beyond. That’s also a problem.
    There’s a massive cohort of media that run his racism and outright lies unchecked. That’s also a problem.
    He has deep ties to America’s greatest foe and is all but a puppet for them. That’s a massive problem.
    Biggest problem among all of that is despite his out right racism and attempts to undermine democracy and civil society, globally, hes attracted half the American electorate and many overseas to his racist fascist subhuman rhetoric and they’re there there willingly and gleefully cheering him on.

I’m not offending or insulting them when I call them racist mindless idiots.
    Im describing them quite accurately

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's not being anti Trump that's the problem (even though that's weird because you're not an American citizen presumably), it's that you dislike his voters using snobby and disparaging language about them.

i can't comment because I'm not american?

Are you?
    I don't have to answer your questions.

You don't have to answer them. The fact that you won't says it all.
    You have a severe issue that when challenged

I've been perfectly polite and stuck to the facts.

I'm not the one resorting to name calling (you called another poster an a**hole).

The fact is, you misinterpreted what I said (the nicest version of what happened), went off on one, got correctly called out on it and double downed.

"DRAIN THE SWAMP" - multiple resignations due to ethics violations

"LOCK HER UP" - Campaign Chair in Jail, Personal Lawyer in Jail, National Security Advisor awaiting sentencing

"I WILL HIRE THE BEST PEOPLE" - 400 plus resignations, multilple acting heads of departments

"BUILD THE WALL" -

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1152568834785722368?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A mention for Chris Wallace of fox actually, he did brilliantly with Miller I thought.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Cody montana

A mention for Chris Wallace of fox actually, he did brilliantly with Miller I thought.

Something very peculiar about Miller.
    He’s like a robot.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1152959798847180800?s=20

Reminds me of someone else defending Trump.. hmmmm... let me think....

Oh yeah - now I remember!!!

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/758564425338982400?s=20

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One of the few objective journalists at Fox News. It’s evident he’s doing a job when there’s meltdowns on Twitter for him from the MAGA crowd about him being too opinion driven for Fox News

everlast75 wrote: »
    i can't comment because I'm not american?

Are you?

You don't have to answer them. The fact that you won't says it all.

I've been perfectly polite and stuck to the facts.

I'm not the one resorting to name calling (you called another poster an a**hole).

The fact is, you misinterpreted what I said (the nicest version of what happened), went off on one, got correctly called out on it and double downed.

I made comments about the issue the other day about the racist comments made by Trump.

I'm not sure whether people on here actually give a toss about racism . They just react when something comes up in the news and when Trump does something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I made comments about the issue the other day about the racist comments made by Trump.

I'm not sure whether people on here actually give a toss about racism . They just react when something comes up in the news and when Trump does something.

C'mon, we're talking about a country whose racial scars are still deep & raw; where reconciliation or reparations remain a hot topic: it's being more than a little falsely glib to act like it's not noteworthy when the sitting President comes out with blatantly racist comments. Racism didn't end in American the moment Obama was elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do you think this should just be a thread dealing with nothing but racism, that every post should include something to do with it?

Because if it was, you would have plenty of people complaining that it is a PC lovefest not dealing with the reality around them.

This is a Trump thread, of course people react to something Trump does. Unlike people like Trump, many on here actually wait to see him say or do something before accusing him of something.

Like they actually waited until he made clearly racist comments before calling him a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Do you think this should just be a thread dealing with nothing but racism, that every post should include something to do with it?

Because if it was, you would have plenty of people complaining that it is a PC lovefest not dealing with the reality around them.

This is a Trump thread, of course people react to something Trump does. Unlike people like Trump, many on here actually wait to see him say or do something before accusing him of something.

Like they actually waited until he made clearly racist comments before calling him a racist.
    Strange people have not been emboldened to recount episodes in the past where he has adopted racist behaviour.

I know Omarosa hinted there were tapes of him using the N word but nothing seems to have come of that .

With his racist behaviour now so publicly on the record ,it would seem like it would be easier for people to recall similar episodes ,but nothing quite so blatant seems to be coming out.

Has the corrupter become corrupted? Was he previously more guarded? Have his marbles begun to curdle?

Not saying his racism not obvious before but this is a lower level and quite indefensible outside his own ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭Christy42

amandstu wrote: »
    Strange people have not been emboldened to recount episodes in the past where he has adopted racist behaviour.

I know Omarosa hinted there were tapes of him using the N word but nothing seems to have come of that .

With his racist behaviour now so publicly on the record ,it would seem like it would be easier for people to recall similar episodes ,but nothing quite so blatant seems to be coming out.

Has the corrupter become corrupted? Was he previously more guarded? Have his marbles begun to curdle?

Not saying his racism not obvious before but this is a lower level and quite indefensible outside his own ghetto.

I mean he did promise to have proof on the entire birther nonsense and there was the central park 4 stuff. I think it is already out there. He has hardly been hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean he did promise to have proof on the entire birther nonsense and there was the central park 4 stuff. I think it is already out there. He has hardly been hiding it.

Trump once floated the idea of a white team versus a black team on the apprentice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/20/us/politics/trump-race-record.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In campaign news, Elizabeth Warren (who did raise the issue of subprime lending risking the economy prior to the crash in 2008: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/apr/30/elizabeth-warren/elizabeth-warren-says-she-warned-about-financial-c/), is now banging on about the next crash.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-predicts-economic-downturn_n_5d350f45e4b0419fd32eb4a9

“When I look at the economy today, I see a lot to worry about again. I see a manufacturing sector in recession,” she said. “I see a precarious economy that is built on debt ― both household debt and corporate debt ― and that is vulnerable to shocks. And I see a number of serious shocks on the horizon that could cause our economy’s shaky foundation to crumble.”

She's saying in a year or two. Kind of what I've expected - put the GOP in office, have them raid the treasury, then the economy crashes, the Democrats pick up the pieces, it recovers, and the GOP spends its way back into office to repeat the process. As someone stated on this thread, the GOP are good at timing the crises.

Though, with such low interest rates it's not clear what can be done to get the US (and eventually the world) out of the next recession.

My guess is "No Deal Brexit" actually kicks it off, should it happen. Trade is such an interconnected web that one substantial player doing something massively stupid could have unknown, cascading effects. So, stay tuned for October 31!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another week, another spate of inside information over an apparently barely-functioning department: this time, it's Commerce:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/22/wilbur-ross-commerce-department-dysfunction-1424427
    One common complaint: Ross, a successful investor before Trump tapped him for his current job, isn’t frequently seen in the building talking to employees or rallying them to do good work.

“He’s sort of seen as kind of irrelevant. The morale is very low there because there’s not a lot of confidence in the secretary,” said a former outside adviser to Commerce who is still in touch with many employees inside the department. “He’s not respected in the building.”

Ross doesn’t hold routine meetings with senior staffers, according to a person familiar with the department’s inner workings and a former outside adviser -- a departure from past practice that one source attributed to the secretary’s lack of stamina.

“Because he tends to fall asleep in meetings, they try not to put him in a position where that could happen so they’re very careful and conscious about how they schedule certain meetings,” said the former outside adviser. “There’s a small window where he’s able to focus and pay attention and not fall asleep.”

Another one of these "Best" people, apparently simply falling asleep in meetings. For reference, Ross is 81; I don't know about anyone else here but if I was an insanely wealthy man at 81, I wouldn't be taking up government positions, I'd be enjoying my retirement to the fullest.

It's to a point where so many departments seem badly run, poorly staffed or rudderless - who WOULD want the presidency, only to then have put everything back together, while your opponents are trashing you for not tidying up the mess they created.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I tried to watch that Stephen miller interview from yesterday on fox and got about three minutes into before it bailed out. What is wrong with the guy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

pixelburp wrote: »

Another one of these "Best" people, apparently simply falling asleep in meetings. For reference, Ross is 81; I don't know about anyone else here but if I was an insanely wealthy man at 81, I wouldn't be taking up government positions, I'd be enjoying my retirement to the fullest.

Ross might not be all that wealthy, kind of like Trump: https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2017/11/07/the-case-of-wilbur-ross-phantom-2-billion/#10cb96e77515

Well, he's worth maybe $700million, so not a billionaire, but $700 million does fall under 'insanely wealthy' in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I tried to watch that Stephen miller interview from yesterday on fox and got about three minutes into before it bailed out. What is wrong with the guy ?

Rampant fascist from his college days, disowned by his family for his actions, which include main policy maker of child separation policy and ICE raids

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ross might not be all that wealthy, kind of like Trump: https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2017/11/07/the-case-of-wilbur-ross-phantom-2-billion/#10cb96e77515

Well, he's worth maybe $700million, so not a billionaire, but $700 million does fall under 'insanely wealthy' in my book.

True, I suppose as well worth is not the same as wealth. If I'm that wealthy when I'm 81, I'm sure as hell not working at the government.

When you look at the age demographics of those at the top like Ross, looping in the likes of Grassley, Graham, McConnell, Feinstein et al, is it any wonder so many scream so loud over the likes of AOC? She was born around the time The Wall came down, whereas with the aforementioned, the Red Scare was in full bloom during their formative years. Same applies if you take those of the Vietnam era.

Thanks to there being no term limits, there's a pronounced cultural disconnect between generations of politicans who lived through the presence of the USSR, and those who haven't. Trump himself lived through Vietnam, it's simply engrained within.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

marno21 wrote: »
    One of the few objective journalists at Fox News.

That's one more than CNN then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

pixelburp wrote: »
    TTrump himself lived through Studio54,.
    More accurate maybe?

dinorebel wrote: »
    More accurate maybe?

I miss the old Lindsey Graham.

When Trump loses his grip on the GOP, it'll be a hard sell for him to make a come back...

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1153356783760490505?s=19

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's one more than CNN then.
    dinorebel wrote: »
    More accurate maybe?

##Mod Note##

Cut out the one liners please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

So Trump said he could win a war in Afghanistan in a week but he might kill 10 million people. Does he just randomly say whatever thoughts float around in that addled brain of his?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/22/trump-imran-khan-pakistan-afghanistan-war

If we wanted to fight a war in Afghanistan and win it, I could win that war in a week. But I don’t want to kill 10 million people. Afghanistan could be wiped off the face of the Earth. I don’t want to go that route.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement