Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

mad muffin wrote: »
    You see. The anti trump videos are hypocrisy. They point to trump saying stupid stuff like they had airports in the war of independence yet failed to mention that obama said USA has 57 states.

Or more recently with Baltimore. Calling it racist. When their own politicians were caught out saying essentially the same thing. And in 2015 Bernie called in like a 3rd world country. Or the example of Virginia’s governor and actual racist.

Also never do they call our Sharpton for his out and out racism.

And just the last few hours Omar retweeted Tom Arnold’s 2017 tweet about how happy he was when den. Rams Paul’s neighbours assaulted him. Let see how the dems call her out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ilhan-omar-apparently-hit-back-at-rand-paul-with-this-retweet/ar-AAF2q62?c=11430548100852357998&mkt=en-us

We're judging the 'crime' at hand, not what other people have done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

duploelabs wrote: »
    We're judging the 'crime' at hand, not what other people have done

Judging is right. Judging hypocrites. And crime? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Something that's a bit odd to me about the discussion around support for impeachment (47% IIRC) that I don't think I've seen, is what the breakdown for that must be.

Support for it among the cult-level support for Trump - the Republican base or, let's say a third of the population, is presumably negligible. So, for the Democratic base, floating voters or soft Rs, it must be 65%+.

Given that they're the only people the Dems can appeal to anyway, surely it shouldn't be seen as that controversial at all to begin impeachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Judging is right. Judging hypocrites. And crime? Lol.

Because no barrister has ever stood up in court and said 'well your honour, look at all the other petiple who have committed the same crime as my client and therefore my client should be acquitted'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

mad muffin wrote:
    You see. The anti trump videos are hypocrisy. They point to trump saying stupid stuff like they had airports in the war of independence yet failed to mention that obama said USA has 57 states.

I am sure every public figure has made a slip of the tongue or said something based on bad information. 11000 plus of proveable lies in the last 2 years and never draws back or apologies, but yeah Obama said something once (I never heard him say that) so they are the exact equivalent.
    If you are talking about African Americans like Candice Owens making YouTube videos supporting Trump as a sign he is loved I think you need to do a bit more research. In 2016 a sizeable selection of Hispanics voted for Trump dispite him clearly telling them how he will treat them and their families as they were doing well and resent "illegals" and such giving them a bad name for example. As for voting against their self interest, the vast majority of poor states are Red states, the whole country is supported by the successful Blue states at the coast, with the exception of the likes of Texas. The Cleatus's of the country vote for Republicans who continue to give their money to the rich, take away their health care, kill them with greedy environmental policies and explode the national debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

duploelabs wrote: »
    Because no barrister has ever stood up in court and said 'well your honour, look at all the other petiple who have committed the same crime as my client and therefore my client should be acquitted'

If they got off with it then it’s a little thing called precedent.

But that’s beside the point. What crime? Did Trump commit a crime?

All I’m pointing out is Trump racist rants. First and only response for the group that have and are doing exactly the same thing they are accusing trump of doing.

I don’t see anyone calling them out on it. After the Baltimore comments cnn had a laughable parade of dems coming out and condemning trump. They didn’t condemn their own for saying the exact thing. They didn’t condemn their own for letting Baltimore slip into a 3rd world country on their watch. Under their control. By their own people.

Now we have Al Sharpton going into there like gang busters. As if he gives two shots about Baltimore and it’s people. No the first words out of his mouth. As he stands in the Ruble. Rat. Cockroach. And crime infested city. Is trump RACIST!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭Christy42

Or more recently with Baltimore. Calling it racist. When their own politicians were caught out saying essentially the same thing. And in 2015 Bernie called in like a 3rd world country. Or the example of Virginia’s governor and actual racist.

Also never do they call our Sharpton for his out and out racism.

And just the last few hours Omar retweeted Tom Arnold’s 2017 tweet about how happy he was when den. Rams Paul’s neighbours assaulted him. Let see how the dems call her out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ilhan-omar-apparently-hit-back-at-rand-paul-with-this-retweet/ar-AAF2q62?c=11430548100852357998&mkt=en-us

None of this is in fact a defense of Trump. It is just avoiding the topic of his racism especially with regards to the squad.

Hey you used the fact that YouTube videos exist to support your point. I could call your ones hypocrits too.

Trump's issue is that he said others complaining about the US is unAmerican. He is being called out on his own standards here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

But that’s beside the point. What crime? Did Trump commit a crime?

Obstruction of justice

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Mad Muffin has been banned for breaching the forum charter.

MrFresh wrote:
    Obstruction of justice

Campaign finance laws, money laundering, falsifying tax and insurance records, cheating at golf, ponzi schemes (Trump U), the list is endless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

everlast75 wrote: »
    I really, really thought we were all past this "is he or isn't he a racist" nonsense.

These kind of posts which parse words, or say his comments as harmless trolling, etc etc - I refer to them as the "mop and bucket brigade" who only come out after he says something controversial in order to try minimise the damage.

The horse has bolted.

He is a racist.

Just accept it and let's all move on please ffs.

I hope that when he wins 2020. You will come out and say. We know for sure now, without a shadow of a doubt. That America is out and out racist. Don’t forget to include that all the African Americans, Hispanics, and other people of colour, are self hating racists. Being used by the republicans and by trump.

I wouldn't have the same level of contempt for the conned as I would the conmen tbf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/green-new-deal-swing-state-households-would-lose-70g-first-year

The Democrats have zero chance if they continue to endorse psychotic ideas like this.
    By the time the next election come the Democrats will have eaten itself.
    The Democrats loony left talk too much
    Pelosi needs to get control of them now or the dems will lose big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/green-new-deal-swing-state-households-would-lose-70g-first-year

The Democrats have zero chance if they continue to endorse psychotic ideas like this.

Is that a libertarian think tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a advocacy group based in Washington DC with long ties to tobacco disinformation campaigns and more recently to climate change denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭scuba8

First of all Fox News cannot be quoted as a factual news source.
    In all the debate about Baltimore it should be pointed out the trump is the president of Baltimore and Maryland etc.
    If there is a problem with Baltimore and he knows about it, what is he doing to help fix it? What help is he giving to the people of Baltimore to improve their lives?
    trump is the president the buck stops with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

scuba8 wrote: »
    In all the debate about Baltimore it should be pointed out the trump is the president of Baltimore and Maryland etc.
    If there is a problem with Baltimore and he knows about it, what is he doing to help fix it? What help is he giving to the people of Baltimore to improve their lives?
    trump is the president the buck stops with him.

As with most things Trump, there's a tweet for that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1155799847552933888

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

20Cent wrote: »
    The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a advocacy group based in Washington DC with long ties to tobacco disinformation campaigns and more recently to climate change denial.

Plus That study was also released by Power the future

Who happens to be
    the voice of energy workers pushing back on radical green groups and the ideologues who fund them.

https://powerthefuture.com/

I love these "independent" studies :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

1. it does not mean the math is wrong if true

Have you seen the report to show "the math"?
    2. nobody denies climate change. they might argue over the cause.

Nobody is seriously arguing over the cause. If a bunch of doctors say you have cancer, but one doctor working for a think-tank owned by the tobacco and other carcinogens lobby says you don't... that's not an "argument".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This Ratcliffe fella seems overqualified if anything

EAsXQ6-X4AAUPnc?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have you seen the report to show "the math"?

I tried for a good half hour to actually dig out their methodology. No dice. It's a table of numbers referencing a report buried by this climate-change denying group in references to references to....

So, basically, a table of numbers essentially pulled from the air.

If anyone wants to dig through the links and can point to the actual methodology used to come up with the numbers, I'd love to read it. I don't doubt that the cost to convert from fossil fuels to renewables is very high, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On climate change, whilst I know it's technically off topic, someone (possibly here) once made the remark that it makes sense that the Christian Right in America is against Climate Change: it's effectively a large demographic of people who think The Rapture is just around the corner, in which case preserving the Earth for future generations becomes redundant. Why bother, when Heaven & Hell are about to have their final grudge match?

Couple that with the Wealth Bible (aka, "F*ck you, I've got mine") and it's easy to see how in effect should be a non-partisan issue, has become just that; why is it so hard to get people to make the Earth a little greener, a little more pleasant and liveable for future folks? IMO, it's intractable dogma like the above that's getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here is the report that goes into the details of the numbers presented by the CEI. https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/RPT-The-Green-New-Deal-5.5x8.5-FINAL.pdf

Took a bit to find it, the online links were all bad but you could hit the CEI site directly. Basic premise: "Wealthier people use more energy. Attempts to use less energy mean fewer Wealthier people. That's bad." Not surprising from an org funded by the fossil fuel industry; it basically beats the drum to use more energy not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Perhaps the basis for the vitriol against Cummings.

https://twitter.com/RRalstonAgile/status/1155961249680809984?s=19

So, should Trump's crowd chant "lock her up", or no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

obama said change is coming. he lied. Trump said he will fight for the poor of america regardless of colour and he is.
    When Trump is finished in 2024 he will be revered as a giant for equality and basic human rights, he will be more revered than martin luther king.

His response to Hurricane Maria and the people of Porto Rico, one of the poorer and forgotten corners of the US, would suggest otherwise. He contended those who died were a Democrat conspiracy, after chucking paper towels at the displaced during a press stunt. His bona fides when it comes to compassion for the poor are ... questionable. Disaster relief is usually a slam-dunk for superficial compassion form elected officials.

Equally, his lacklustre attempts to repeal the ACA and replace it with the "something better" promised on the campaign trail, did not mark him as a champion for a better quality of living for the poor.

How has he fought the inevitable decline of the Rust Belt? Waffle over "clean coal", while removing a slew of legislation that ultimately may harm those at the lower end of the social ladder when issues of pollution and poison haunt communities; Flint will not be the last of these.

Donald Trump is NOT the champion of the poor, nor is the modern incarnation of the Republican party. Were this true, then they would be fighting tooth and nail to protect or expand Medicare and other 'breadline' services. Instead many states are trying to curb or remove these altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Maryland's 7th congressional district where Cummings is representive has a median income of about $61,000.. above the national average of the US https://www.census.gov/mycd/?st=24&cd=07

It's like people do zero research on places before labelling them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Were this true, then they would be fighting tooth and nail to protect or expand Medicare and other 'breadline' services. Instead many states are trying to curb or remove these altogether.
    What's most disgusting is that many Red States are blocking the expansion of Medicaid provided for in the ACA, despite the fact that the federal government would pay for it - thus ensuring that the lives of the poorest in their own states are made even more miserable.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    the vast majority of poor states are Red states, the whole country is supported by the successful Blue states at the coast
    And sitting at the top of that heap, is Kentucky - the state represented by the despicable Mitch McConnell:
    In 2017, the state received $40 billion more from the federal government than it paid in taxes. ... if Kentucky were a country, we’d say that it was receiving foreign aid on an almost inconceivable scale.

This aid, in turn, supports a lot of jobs. It’s fair to say that far more Kentuckians work in hospitals kept afloat by Medicare and Medicaid, in retail establishments kept going by Social Security and food stamps, than in all traditional occupations like mining and even agriculture combined.

So if you really believe that Americans with higher incomes shouldn’t pay for benefits provided to those with lower incomes, you should be calling on “donor” states like New Jersey and New York to cut off places like Kentucky and let their economies collapse. And if that’s what you mean, you should let Mitch McConnell’s constituents know about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pastor Crowe has been banned.

The topic of this thread is Donald Trump and his presidency. Not climate change. Not Hilary Clinton. Donald Trump and his presidency.

I've cleared up a few posts which has unfortunately included some legitimate ones.

Back on topic and up the standard please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

What's particularly galling about that made up study is how ridiculous the numbers are. It speaks to how dimly these groups view the American electorate when they throw out a number like 70 thousand. That's higher than the average salary in some states. They clearly think that a large section of the population are just morons. Otherwise the number would be something like 20 thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://twitter.com/bettybowers/status/1155958906704674816?s=21

We’re through the ****ing looking glass here people

• Advertisement

Trump has a unique ability to make the Democrats show us all who they really are. He’s got them defending: -Poverty in Baltimore -Kim Jong Un -MS-13 -Infanticide -Taxpayer financed healthcare for illegal immigrants -& Open Borders

Nice try. These are the things Trump says they are doing and since he is incapable of telling the truth on anything you must know this is a lie. He is the president of Baltimore, if it is rat infested it must be his fault, Trump is the one who flew around the World to shake hands, legitimise and salute Korean generals, who is "supporting" MS13? Who's admin is allowing children to die in cages and seperating them from parents and also wants to kill health care while increasing the cost of said healthcare. Taxpayers are paying for anyone who turns up at hospitals without health insurance, legal or illegal. Who is for open borders, not supporting a waste of money wall and allowing immigration is not open borders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement