Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Brian? wrote: »
    Here’s how he mass shooting will be spun over the next few days by Fox, Breitbart, Daily Caller etc. .

Shooter was mentally ill.

Walmart banned their staff concealed carrying weapons, Walmart need to rescind that rule and have a minimum number of staff per store armed.

Shooter is a monster.

Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun. Walmart should have hired more military vets and allowed them to concealed carry.

Shooter should get the death penalty. He’s a sick monster.

In about 3 days it’ll fade away and just become a statistic. It’s sickening.
    There are dozens of posters on boards.ie with the same views as the murderer

Their posts are exactly the sort of stuff you'd expect from any white supremacist terrorist

They continually get banned and re-register

None of this is anything to do with mental illness, the prevalence of these views inevitably leads to terrorism

And there is mass denial about this, not just among those who hold such views, but among a majority of those who don't

There is no safe dose of fascism, it's a malignant cancer that eats everything in its path, and it's like heroin in that the addiction to hatred ramps up and up and up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trumps rhetoric is definitely part of the problem, why does he feel the need to be such a nasty cnut on Twitter? But this kid seemed to hate all politicians equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

hill16bhoy wrote: »

Their posts are exactly the sort of stuff you'd expect from any white supremacist terrorist

None of this is anything to do with mental illness, the prevalence of these views inevitably leads to terrorism

And there is mass denial about this, not just among those who hold such views, but among a majority of those who don't

There is no safe dose of fascism, it's a malignant cancer that eats everything in its path, and it's like heroin in that the addiction to hatred ramps up and up and up

In a recent thread, one of them compared immigrants crossing the border to rats coming from your neighbour's and infesting your house. Really disgusting stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I seem to spend more time every week arguing with them on here. There are some truly abhorrent views spouted on boards. Luckily I don’t think they would ever be followed through in real life.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I seem to spend more time every week arguing with them on here. There are some truly abhorrent views spouted on boards. Luckily I don’t think they would ever be followed through in real life.
    Norway suffered a white supremacist terrorist mass murder.

There's no reason why Ireland would be immune to something similar happening.

We may not have the easy access to guns that exists in the US, but we absolutely have people that have the same views as these terrorists and there is no shortage of snake oil salespeople in Ireland who are radicalising others into these views.

They aren't a joke, they are an actual existential threat to our way of life, and when I say our way of life, I mean liberal democracy - and yet they outrageously claim they are defending it. It's just one more giant gaslighting exercise. They are trying to destroy liberal democracy and return us to the days of the gas chambers, nobody should be in any doubt about that. They are a bigger threat than ISIS, at least ISIS are honest about their nihilism and evil bloodlust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,348 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hill16boy you're right. A reactionary is always more dangerous than a revolutionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Weird. Trump tweeted hopes and prayers for both El Paso and Texas, and then 'updates will be given throughout the day!'

Is he running a news service now? Plus the exclamation points... is he an 8 year old?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157987941182033920

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

These shootings are the fault of every politician that's had a chance to take a stance on gun violence and hasn't, Obama included. Why in the name of God are people allowed to buy assault weapons for personal use? It makes absolutely zero sense. Guns don't kill people on their own, but they sure as hell shouldn't be as freely available as they seem to be in the States these days.

Waiting for Trump to do the right thing and announce some gun control laws but I won't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    These shootings are the fault of every politician that's had a chance to take a stance on gun violence and hasn't, Obama included. Why in the name of God are people allowed to buy assault weapons for personal use? It makes absolutely zero sense. Guns don't kill people on their own, but they sure as hell shouldn't be as freely available as they seem to be in the States these days.

Waiting for Trump to do the right thing and announce some gun control laws but I won't be holding my breath.

News is saying the Dayton shooter had 'body armor.' Why would a civilian need that? I can maybe see a law-enforcement officer, or military reservist have need of it while on duty, but anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,523 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Igotadose wrote: »
    News is saying the Dayton shooter had 'body armor.' Why would a civilian need that? I can maybe see a law-enforcement officer, or military reservist have need of it while on duty, but anyone else?

You would see many security guards in the US wearing body armour, many doormen in Dublin wear it too. Its easy enough to buy and not that expensive these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Igotadose wrote: »
    Weird. Trump tweeted hopes and prayers for both El Paso and Texas, and then 'updates will be given throughout the day!'

Is he running a news service now? Plus the exclamation points... is he an 8 year old?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157987941182033920

I said it above but its worth saying again.

After the 1st mass shooting, a tweet clearly crafted on his behalf was sent.

15 minutes, just 15 minutes later, a tweet from him about a ****ing MMA match that evening.

There is clearly something wrong with him mentally. Zero empathy or compassion. Completely self absorbed.

To say there is an intellectual crisis at the heart of "conservatism" would be a gross understatement

More like a systematic and total inversion of reality

Exhibit A

Obama's Race War
    By Ben Shapiro

https://www.creators.com/read/ben-shapiro/07/10/obamas-race-war

The Obama administration is racist. They are using that racism to let black criminals off the hook, justify illegal immigration, hamstring law enforcement across the country, and push redistribution as a solution to supposed continuing discrimination against "people of color." The predictable result of this policy will resemble the results of the 1876 election: federal abdication on racial violence, state abdication on racial violence and local abdication on racial violence. The next race war will come not from racist whites, but from racist blacks and Hispanics who feel empowered to act on their racism by an administration that excuses all minority misbehavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

everlast75 wrote: »
    I said it above but its worth saying again.

After the 1st mass shooting, a tweet clearly crafted on his behalf was sent.

15 minutes, just 15 minutes later, a tweet from him about a ****ing MMA match that evening.

There is clearly something wrong with him mentally. Zero empathy or compassion. Completely self absorbed.

He's a product of his environment unfortunately. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth/up his rear end and at the age of 73, it's not going to change now. He's totally responsible for driving these events with his hateful and racist rhetoric and if the Republicans don't speak up soon, he's going to destroy the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

hill16bhoy wrote:
    They aren't a joke, they are an actual existential threat to our way of life, and when I say our way of life, I mean liberal democracy - and yet they outrageously claim they are defending it. It's just one more giant gaslighting exercise. They are trying to destroy liberal democracy and return us to the days of the gas chambers, nobody should be in any doubt about that. They are a bigger threat than ISIS, at least ISIS are honest about their nihilism and evil bloodlust.

None of these issues affect Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

To say there is an intellectual crisis at the heart of "conservatism" would be a gross understatement

More like a systematic and total inversion of reality

Exhibit A

Obama's Race War
    By Ben Shapiro

https://www.creators.com/read/ben-shapiro/07/10/obamas-race-war

This isn't accidental.

Reallllllyyy nice people like the Kochs, the DeVos's and the Mercers are major donors to this brand of faux-intellectual charlatanism. I think the likes of Peterson and Dave Rubin are guzzling from the same pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It's quite exhausting trying to challenge the drivel posted here by these ever-popping-up white supremacy apologists. And when, just after a dreadful act of white nationalist terror in El Paso, one person decided to post the killer's so-called 'manifesto' on here, that took the biscuit entirely. Thankfully, the mods took down the execrable rantings, although the offender is still free to post away and pollute honest discussion with the detritus s/he picks up on 4chan, 8Chan or whatever other dark corner of the internet s/he inhabits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

None of these issues affect Ireland.

This is a thread about Trump, to say its nothing affecting Ireland is a moot point

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

duploelabs wrote:
    This is a thread about Trump, to say its nothing affecting Ireland is a moot point

The original poster seemed to imply that liberal democracy in Ireland was collapsing and the gas chambers were coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trumps rhetoric is definitely part of the problem, why does he feel the need to be such a nasty cnut on Twitter? But this kid seemed to hate all politicians equally.

I would say the answer with the US president is very simple it is because he himself is a bigot and a racist as his behaviour and words have shown again and again. The fact remains when you have a demagogue like this as president he will stir up hatred and violence will ensue.

MrFresh wrote: »
    In a recent thread, one of them compared immigrants crossing the border to rats coming from your neighbour's and infesting your house. Really disgusting stuff.

The language sadly of a racist. They always seek to dehumanize those they hate. It is why when you hear the president of the US constantly dehumanize whole groups of people it is very dangerous as there are sadly plenty of people then willing to act out.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »

There is more chance of Ireland winning the next World Cup then there is of the US president actually getting to grips with and passing real gun control legislation that would bring the Americans into line with most of the rest of the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

... and just in case people were thinking the States truly hadn't learned a damn thing since Columbine 20 years ago, today on Fox News, House minority leader Kevin McCarthy put the blame at the feet of video games (and social media, so I suppose some of the narrative has changed).

That's right. 2019 and some would still try to blame video games for these things.

The irony is that the video game industry is worthy of scrutiny, but is probably more guilty of its softcore gambling mechanics now prevalent in mainstream games, than responsible for gun shootings. Not that the morally and ethically bankrupt like McCarthy give a damn, the segment was polemic as TV entertainment for baby boomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

They are trying to destroy liberal democracy and return us to the days of the gas chambers, nobody should be in any doubt about that.

Be specific. Who is trying to return us to the days of the gas chambers?
    They are a bigger threat than ISIS..

Well, that's not hard given Trump has effectively all but wiped them out. Bit to go but they are a shadow of what they were in 2015/16.

Lolle06 wrote: »
    Are you saying that Donald Trump isn‘t constantly giving out about Democrats and left-rhetoric?

I merely pointed out that (going by his manifesto) he seemed riled up about the recent dem debate and what they had been saying re: future border law reform (in an effort to get elected). He was of the opinion that democrats are only soft on border security given that it will translate into votes for them down the line.
    Even going so far as sending non-white looking politicians „back to where they came from“?

Not exactly what he said but even if it was there's a vast difference between suggesting someone should leave the country if they don't like it, and encouraging mass murder. Trump has condemned racism multiple times and neo nazis too.
    What makes you think that Donal Trump’s hate speeches/ tweets have no influence on some of his unhinged followers losing the plot completely?

Because he doesn't say anything that would cause someone to lose the plot as what he is says is quite reasonable. It's the crap about open borders that isn't. Or indeed the kind of comments that the likes of Omar made recently when she said Trump wants to deport ALL brown/black people and congress would care more about dogs.

THESE are things which could unhinge people for sure, and as we saw with Antifa guy who armed himself with a rifle and firebombs and set off to attack an Immigration facility, it's clear far left rhetoric does incite violence. In his manifesto he even parrotted AOC and referred to the border detention centers as concentration camps. Thankfully he was stopped before he hurt someone, pity the chaps in El Paso and Ohio weren't also.

https://twitter.com/SenMcCollister/status/1158178237899522048?s=19

Nice to see a Republican Senator admitting what his party is doing.

Hopefully it'll pave the way for more of them to do the same

Here’s how he mass shooting will be spun over the next few days by Fox, Breitbart, Daily Caller etc. .

Shooter was mentally ill.

One of the shooters, the liberal one, shot his own sister - wouldn't you say that was a sign of mental illness?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

One of the shooters, the liberal one, shot his own sister - wouldn't you say that was a sign of mental illness?

He was liberal?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Midlife wrote: »
    Pete. many many people arond the world have been saying for a few years now that sowing division is a bad idea.

Yeah, 'many people' with an agenda. Division was sown alright, but it was in the previous eight years, on that I agree with Shapiro.
    Just like a radical Imam, Trump encouraging hatred is bad.

He doesn't encourage hatred and his policies benefit the very minorities the left try so hard to portray him as having no time for.
    Just as it's the job of all the regular muslim community to discourage and denounce extremists, it's the job of the american political establishment to discourage and denounce extremists, not call them 'fine people', retweet them continually and invite loads of them to the white house.

The lie that never stops. Not sure how many times this has to be said but at no stage has Trump ever referred to extremists as "fine people". In fact, he went out of his way to make that clear (given he knows how the leftist media operate). Here are the relative portions of what he said on that day:
    "I think the driver of the car is a disgrace; to himself, his family and this country.

"The driver of the car is a murderer and what he did was a horrible, horrible inexcusable thing.

"I've condemned neo-nazis but not all of those people were neo-nazis, not all of those people were white supremacists, by any stretch.

[Reporter: Neo Nazis started this, they showed up in Charlottesville..]

"Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as Neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue, and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee.

"You had people, and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally but you had many people in that group other than neo nazis and white nationalists, and the press has treated them absolutely unfairly"

He also made it clear how he feels about racism and bigotry here the next day (given that the media went and reported that he had called white supremacists 'fine people'):

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    If there is an anti immigrant motive then it would be flat out despicable to not attribute some responsibility to Trump. He has dehumanised immigrants to an extreme level.

If Trump gets to implement the border measures which he wishes to, then it will be the best thing that happened to the region as it will take the cartels out. At the moment they make a fortune from drug trafficking and human trafficking. Mexico are doing much more now also and plan to do even more. Worth remember also that the less illegals come into America at the southern border, the better it is for those in low paying jobs given how illegals have been exploited my scurrilous employers for many many decades. A dent in that can only be a good thing. I think by 2024 Trump will have transformed the border immeasurably for the benefit of all Americans in one way or another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement