Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That should be the end for Trump, but it won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Why don't the US just follow the actions of the rest of the first world countries that have successfully prevented large scale mass shooting by banning all violent video games and finding the cure to mental health illnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

batgoat wrote:
    I would say there's a general view that the US have gone down an incredibly dark road under Trump. The very fact that one can give credible backing to the claim that he's a bit of a white supremacist. That he actively dog whistles about immigrants as part of his policy about a massacre of Latinos. I would say he's set them back considerably as a country.

Do you forget the Black Lives Matter campaign a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

There was a fairly obvious downward shift in Trumps rhetoric starting a couple of months ago. You can see his strategy for 2020 is going to be based on division even more so than 2016 when there was other talking points like Obamacare. It would be a better thing for the US if he didn't run but I can't see that happening. There needs to be some form of gun control, I think homeowners should be allowed a handgun for protection but not much more than that. The talking point or spin coming from the right when the noise dies down will be the guy in Ohio was a leftie.. it doesn't matter. There is a serious problem when deranged people can stock a basement full of weapons, enough for a small war. Nothing will happen before 2020 and perhaps even if Trump loses, NRA has too much power and it's politic suicide for Repubs to endorse anything beyond background checks.

My brothers moving to the US for work next week and I do genuinely worry about how bad things will get over there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

Water John wrote: »
    That should be the end for Trump, but it won't be.

There have been dozens of things since the 2016 campaign that the above sentence could apply to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Billy Mays wrote: »
    So Donnie's going with the mental health angle. Interesting.

For the shooter or for Trump?

batgoat wrote:
    I would say there's a general view that the US have gone down an incredibly dark road under Trump. The very fact that one can give credible backing to the claim that he's a bit of a white supremacist. That he actively dog whistles about immigrants as part of his policy about a massacre of Latinos. I would say he's set them back considerably as a country.

Obama deported 3 millions people, mainly Latinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Because that's the same.

Ffs - try elaborate on any point you are trying to make

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So? That’s what he was supposed to do with illegal immigrants.

He did not use anti immigrant rhetoric while he did it. He did not compare them to an invading horse or dehumanise them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Do you forget the Black Lives Matter campaign a few years ago?

I'm perfectly aware of it and why it was born. Not remotely similar to a president who regularly dehumanises people because of where it was born out of. I also recall Donald being an utter disgrace when Charlottesville occurred. A president who seems to have a voter base that is made up of some very fine white supremacists more than anything else...

So yep, America had plenty of problems in relation to racism prior to Trump. He just amplifies them and does so throughout his presidency. That is how he will historically be remembered.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote:
    Ffs - try elaborate on any point you are trying to make

Not much comfort for immigrants either under a Democratic president.

Brian? wrote:
    So? That’s what he was supposed to do with illegal immigrants.

So it had nothing to do with being anti immigrant or anti Latino?

Did you think racism just started when Trump came into office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Not much comfort for immigrants either under a Democratic president.

They didn't have to worry about their child being sent to a concentration camp.

Skyhunter wrote:
    He's certainly not helping. Just scoring points through fear.

All of that is true of course, but the notion that racism is exclusive to Trump and some Republican voters is so daft.

Anyone that cares about racism would clearly see that the Democrats are also afflicted by institutional racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All of that is true of course, but the notion that racism is exclusive to Trump and some Republican voters is so daft.

Anyone that cares about racism would clearly see that the Democrats are also afflicted by institutional racism.

This may be true, but they do not have the Presidency or control of government currently. When they are running the show and demonstrate racism, then they will be criticised, in the mean time just check the subject of this thread.

looksee wrote: »
    This may be true, but they do not have the Presidency or control of government currently. When they are running the show and demonstrate racism, then they will be criticised, in the mean time just check the subject of this thread.

I suppose the point I'm getting at is whether Trump is the cause of or merely the symptom of the racism problem America has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I suppose the point I'm getting at is whether Trump is the cause of or merely the symptom of the racism problem America has.

It was always there. He just gave it a voice and gave permission to the racists to be openly racist. He bears all the responsibility for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,837 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How the hell could trump have gotten the place where the mass shouting happened in Ohio wrong ? I know he’s not for his attention span but it’s not even two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Could not put that better,Stop Moaning. Hotmail , for fecks sake go away and don't be irritating us with your whataboutery.

MrFresh wrote: »
    They didn't have to worry about their child being sent to a concentration camp.

This type of rhetoric isn't helping either. It's a symptom of Trump which is the bigger problem but it's radicalizing people. The Ohio shooter praised the gunman who attacked an ice facility as a martyr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

peddlelies wrote: »
    This type of rhetoric isn't helping either. It's a symptom of Trump which is the bigger problem but it's radicalizing people.
    You're telling us that white supremacists and Nazis shouldn't be called such because if they are it'll make them even worse white supremacists and Nazis than they already are.

You're saying that legitimisation of and appeasement of white supremacism and Nazism is the way to go.

Because em, yeah, that worked out so well in the past, didn't it.

Deary me.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    You're telling us that white supremacists and Nazis shouldn't be called such because if they are it'll make them even worse white supremacists and Nazis than they already are.

You're saying that legitimisation of and appeasement of white supremacism and Nazism is the way to go.

So what you're saying is?

I haven't said anything of the sort, read what I wrote then try again.

So what you're saying is?

I haven't said anything of the sort, read what I wrote then try again.
    I didn't see a question mark in my previous post, did you?

What I said you said is exactly what you said.

It's very appropriate that you call yourself "peddlelies", because you sure do a great job of living up to your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Until today, he's been an open promoter for racism. Sure you can argue he's only a visible symbol of a inherent racist symptom but, and here's the reality; he holds the highest office in the US, the official representative of the US. He's the top adult real-time player in what is making up the future generations of the US.

If he can't resist using the office of US president to make racism acceptable in the US, then he has to go. Racism is based solely on hatred. The idea that racism-central is located in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC must go into the archives and its acceptability proponent sacked.

I'm taking it that you see him as a symptom of US racism so the question now is, do you want him to stay in office and continue with his promotion of racism?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »

Apparently Biden did the same at a donor rally, getting both shooting locations wrong, so there's your potential 2020 showdown right there. Two doddery old men shouting at each other while orbiting no semblance of reality ordinary Americans occupy.

I mean at least Biden is campaigning, so perhaps he gets a minor pass for being on a bus half the time, Trump's literally where the buck should be stopping. They had days to prepare a speech and he can't get the details right.

But hey, the man tossed paper towels like basketballs at hurricane victims, so does it really surprise the man doesn't possess a surfeit of empathy?

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    I didn't see a question mark in my previous post, did you?

What I said you said is exactly what you said.

It's very appropriate that you call yourself "peddlelies", because you sure do a great job of living up to your name.

So after twisting what I said to try and make it appear I support white supremacy, now you attack me personally because I won't go along with it.

Classy.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Apparently Biden did the same at a donor rally, getting both shooting locations wrong, so there's your potential 2020 showdown right there. Two doddery old men shouting at each other while orbiting no semblance of reality ordinary Americans occupy.

I mean at least Biden is campaigning, so perhaps he gets a minor pass for being on a bus half the time, Trump's literally where the buck should be stopping. They had days to prepare a speech and he can't get the details right.

But hey, the man tossed paper towels like basketballs at hurricane victims, so does it really surprise the man doesn't possess a surfeit of empathy?
    Trump very likely deliberately got the name of the location wrong.

It's his way of signalling that he doesn't give a flying **** about victims of gun violence.

pixelburp wrote: »

Someone should really tell him to stop using exclamation points in his twitter posts when it comes to sensitive matters. It's very inappropriate. Better yet just stay off twitter entirely.

So after twisting what I said to try and make it appear I support white supremacy, now you attack me personally because I won't go along with it.

Classy.
    I didn't remotely twist anything. I correctly called out what you said, which is that people should stop calling out white supremacism and Nazism because it "radicalises" people even further than they've already been radicalised.

Perhaps you're speaking from personal experience?

At least own your pro-fascist and pro-Nazi bigotry.

There's a reason I don't call myself "peddlelies", whereas you do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Someone should really tell him to stop using exclamation points in his twitter posts when it comes to sensitive matters. It's very inappropriate. Better yet just stay off twitter entirely.

They likely have, but he doesn't listen. Fadó, aides couldn't get him to stop ripping up documents placed on the Resolute Desk after he was finished, as was his habit as CEO (they're legally required to be preserved of course). Nor could they get him to read intelligence reports; the man seems stubborn to the degree of a toddler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement