Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

He's a God-botherer! :)

He was really resilient. He won 3 tie-breaks. Was hoping a winner won not in that fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gutted. Had plenty of chances too.
    He had what 2 championship points?
    And a break point or two near end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It became a war of attrition which the younger guy will always win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

There is little dignity in that win. Djokovic will never be the people's champion. Roger had him by the tail and he knows it.

LOL who gives a **** about people's champ. Djoko comes from match point down to win in an iconic tie break and silences the crowd and social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Stefan doesn't look happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That was something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The cricket is as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

Angliru wrote: »
    LOL who gives a **** about people's champ. Djoko comes from match point down to win in an iconic tie break and silences the crowd and social media.

Imagine a grown man being that salty, in all likely hood djokovic by the time he finishes will have the slam record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very much a casual tennis fan but that was some match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Djokavic faced down two championship points with eight unanswered of his own. Balls of steel.

Angliru wrote: »

I do kinda like silencing the luvvies though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Djokovic has many years to fill the trophy cabinet and break records.

He'll be hanging out of Halep at the ballroom tonight. His legs must be like jelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wonderful at what he does, a peerless defender and counter puncher, but it's more than a little annoying that he'll probably beat Fed's 20 Grand Slams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm exhaused after that. Can't imagine how they feel.

I feel for Fed. It's even harder to take when you should have won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What did Roger say at the start of the interview?

• Advertisement

Does Federer seem pissed.

tanko wrote: »
    Brilliant result, which excuses will Federer have lined up??

He should have zero.

He choked when he had it at his mercy. His opponent did not.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gracious enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

There is little dignity in that win. Djokovic will never be the people's champion. Roger had him by the tail and he knows it.

Federer played the better, more entertaining tennis today, there's no denying that.
    But on a day when some aspects of his game were below par, Djokovic dug deep and didn't choke on the tie breaks.
    He also hit a surprising number of memorable winners for someone who supposedly only bores his opponents into submission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Disappointed for Federer. Would have liked to see him get another.
    Don't know what it is about Djokovic but I can't warm to him at all. Clearly a great player though.

• Advertisement

Roger some man for the stand up. Fair play.

What did Roger say at the start of the interview?

Sue said something like a final to remember and Roger quipped "I'll try to forget" :-)

Nice from Novak. Fair dues. Always tough beating the crowd favourite.

Djokovic's favourite toy as a child

200w.webp

I do think Federer is annoyed that he lost because of tiebreaks.
    He's not smiling at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Winning minimum of 6 games in each set, 36 overall, and still losing must hurt. he won more games overall, just not the one that mattered most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

josip wrote: »
    Federer played the better, more entertaining tennis today, there's no denying that.
    But on a day when some aspects of his game were below par, Djokovic dug deep and didn't choke on the tie breaks.
    He also hit a surprising number of memorable winners for someone who supposedly only bores his opponents into submission.

He had some passing shots and some were moving fed side to side but that was about it.

There is no question that Novak is exceptional at what he does but him being dominant again could lose tennis viewers. Right now he has to be massive favourite for the US and Australian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not a fan of a tie breaker for the 5th, but Federer only has himself to blame in the end. Gutted for him, thought he played some phenomenal stuff. Backhand let him down at a few crucial times.

Federer probably feels that's his last real chance at Wimbledon I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I'm exhausted after that! Absolute beasts both men!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm just in to say that a tie break to decide a grand slam is just wrong imo.
    You can do whatever you like in regular tournaments but leave the final set of grand slams alone please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

He will rue that terrible finish on the fourth point of the tie-break.

2-2 became 1-3 and the damage was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Difficult not to suggest that Djokovic is the best player of all time. Dominant over Nadal and Federer in the best finals and with a better head to head record.

All things being equal, he will win plenty more Slams over the next few years to overtake Federer's Grand Slam record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Karma came due for the '09 final. The better man lost today as Andy did then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic has to win five more to overtake Federer, obviously assuming Federer doesn't win any more. I can't see any circumstances where he won't do that, he's only 31 and will likely be at the top of his game for at least another three to four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm just in to say that a tie break to decide a grand slam is just wrong imo.
    You can do whatever you like in regular tournaments but leave the final set of grand slams alone please.

In fairness they were both exhausted by then anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I reckon Andy Roddick’s at home now with a grin on his face...#2009

Rob2D wrote: »
    Karma came due for the '09 final. The better man lost today as Andy did then.

You beat me to it!

Djokovic should have taken that set way earlier.

When he broke Fed the first time he threw away his own service game directly after.

Fed played the more entertaining tennis but you have to give it to Djokovic for the risks he took on the match points and clinical execution on other key points even though he seemed not aggressive a lot of the other times.

Champ Djokovic. Good resolve won through. He upset the crowd, which was relatively satisfying. Sue Barker wasn't her chirpy self at all at the end :) She was probably denied shoehorning in Andy Murray by the producer.

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Difficult not to suggest that Djokovic is the best player of all time. Dominant over Nadal and Federer in the best finals and with a better head to head record.

All things being equal, he will win plenty more Slams over the next few years to overtake Federer's Grand Slam record.

Federer hasn't been in his prime for at least 5 years now; during Djokovic's absolute peak. Plus Federer had a plethora of greats to deal with at the start of his career.

Nadal - no argument.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

walshb wrote: »
    I reckon Andy Roddick’s at home now with a grin on his face...#2009
    Had tickets for that final. Ended up giving them to people at work as I was hospitalised a few days before the match as a result of a cycling accident

Beasty wrote: »
    Had tickets for that final. Ended up giving them to people at work as I was hospitalised a few days before the match as a result of a cycling accident

No way. One of best ever finals that..

Only time I ever remember really rooting against Roger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could have went either way, no one was on top whatsoever. It was Federer if anything that was slightly better on the day.

Could have went either way, no one was on top whatsoever. It was Federer if anything that was slightly better on the day.

Indeed. Nothing in it. Certainly wouldn’t use that match to make the GOAT claim for Nole.

Fed won 15 more points...had 40 more winners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Could be a fitting end to Wimbeldon for Styrkova her and Hsieh cruising in the doubles. Supposed to be played last night got pushed back and back and after most had spent 5 hours in the sun on that cracker can't imagine people there fussed about sticking around the arena, ha then TV coverage gets cut, poor planning altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Completely agree. I really wanted Federer to win, but sadly he missed his chance by giving away the 2 match points earlier in the game. Bah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Seems crazy to me that Halep gets the same prize money as Djokovic, and even more than Federer. I’m only talking bout this tournament, not their overall yearly earnings. Did anyone even watch the women’s final yesterday?? If you did you better have tuned in in time as it was over real quick.

Seems crazy to me that Halep gets the same prize money as Djokovic, and even more than Federer. I’m only talking bout this tournament, not their overall yearly earnings. Did anyone even watch the women’s final yesterday?? If you did you better have tuned in in time as it was over real quick.

Halep was more entertaining than Djokovic at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Everyone I know watched it and enjoyed it . Yes we all tuned in on time as it was scheduled

On another note I can't imagine Federer thinks that is his last shot at Wimbledon.

Certainly it was more likely this year but outside of Djokovic I don't know who beats him. Probably 50/50 in a match vs Nadal and a bit of luck with Djokovic.

Not the favourite but still a decent chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement