Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

walshb wrote:
    Is Serena shouting and roaring during this?

Tbf, what players don't these days? There was one female player there last week that made noises akin to a dying swan every time she served :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Halep really trounced Zhang in that second set, impressive.
    7-6 (4), 6-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Necro wrote: »
    Tbf, what players don't these days? There was one female player there last week that made noises akin to a dying swan every time she served :pac:

I mean if I thought it would help me win a couple of hundred extra grand I would too!

On Serena's serve. I checked a few points back. She is very dependent on aces this game. Winning less than 50% of the rest of the points on her serve. Obviously an ace counts as much as any other point but I thought it was interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But seems to be something more contrived and deliberate with Serena. In your face eff you aggression..tries to intimidate.....that's the vibe I get, and it's not just because I dislike her overall.

Williams break and now 3-1 up in final set

gmisk wrote:
    Williams break and now 3-1 up in final set

And Riske breaks right back :pac:

How many breaks of serve is that in total?

Williams seems to be making a few unforced errors atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

walshb wrote: »
    But seems to be something more contrived and deliberate with Serena. In your face eff you aggression..tries to intimidate.....that's the vibe I get, and it's not just because I dislike her overall.
    I get that vibe a lot from her!

Riske after losing her serve twice in this 3rd set already has broken back again. This is turning into quite the match!

And Riske breaks right back :pac:

How many breaks of serve is that in total?

Williams seems to be making a few unforced errors atm.

I think it was IW that Venus was broken 4 times and won 6-3 6-1. (Or similar, her opponent didn't hold once but got enough breaks to make it respectable).

All square!

Littered with errors this game between Williams and Riske but I'm enjoying it. It's a real war of attrition between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

-3-3 final set ... on a knife edge this one!!!

Think that's game. Bad time to double fault by Riske there.

Also her shouting is annoying me much more than Williams this game. Never thought I'd say that ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Think that's game. Bad time to double fault by Riske there.

Also her shouting is annoying me much more than Williams this game. Never thought I'd say that ever!!
    What about the Serena 'COME ON' after every unforced error from the opponent (or any point in general)?

That was a massively disappointing end, but what can you do. Such an astoundingly dislikable person. Dunno how anyone would support her TBH. The quicker she's out of this the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What about the Serena 'COME ON' after every unforced error from the opponent (or any point in general)?

That was a massively disappointing end, but what can you do. Such an astoundingly dislikable person. Dunno how anyone would support her TBH. The quicker she's out of this the better.

Whatever about her awful personality, but it's truly astonishing the tennis public haven't hung her out to dry over her 'panic room' incident when the anti-doping officials called to her door. And why is she not slammed for her general constant moaning about drug testers? Sums up everything we need to know about how little anybody in tennis cares about anti-doping.

Good piece on her here:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tennis/comment-serena-williams-soiling-her-legacy-by-slamming-drug-testers-37070031.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Whatever about her awful personality, but it's truly astonishing the tennis public haven't hung her out to dry over her 'panic room' incident when the anti-doping officials called to her door. And why is she not slammed for her general constant moaning about drug testers? Sums up everything we need to know about how little anybody in tennis cares about anti-doping.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tennis/comment-serena-williams-soiling-her-legacy-by-slamming-drug-testers-37070031.html

The tennis world won't call her out on her antics. I think its because she is black. UK commentators are unbearable such sycophants. Her antics in the US open 2018 was truly appalling, like a spoilt brat yet there were plenty to support her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The tennis world won't call her out on her antics. I think its because she is black. UK commentators are unbearable such sycophants. Her antics in the US open 2018 was truly appalling, like a spoilt brat yet their was plenty to support her.

Yep, again the true bigots show themselves, the bigotry of low expectations.
    They hold her to a lower standard cos she's black - the fact that she got so much support after last years US Open final disgrace proves this.

shame

Konta a break up in first set!

gmisk wrote:
    Konta a break up in first set!

Strycova struggling a bit with her serve atm, steady play from Konta tbf to her.

The tennis world won't call her out on her antics. I think its because she is black. UK commentators are unbearable such sycophants. Her antics in the US open 2018 was truly appalling, like a spoilt brat yet there were plenty to support her.

Everyone likes a winner.

Kyrgios is also a minority in the sport coming with a Malaysian mother. People seem more than happy to call him a twat. Not that I disagree.

The main difference being that Serena is (well was) better than her competition. Kyrgios is also worse tbf.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Everyone likes a winner.

She's one of sport's most unlikable winners, though....

walshb wrote: »
    She's one of sport's most unlikable winners, though....

Largely irrelevant (though a matter of opinion, not a fan of her but I can think of worse IMO).

She is a winner and so gets plenty of positive press. WTA also needs plenty of positive press for its winners and will push this (like any sport will).

She is also American which helps massively in these terms as they have a disproportionate effect on the worlds media.

Konta have enough chance to win that first set....but too many errors!

gmisk wrote: »
    Konta have enough chance to win that first set....but too many errors!

And is a break down in the second. We will see if she can recover.

Christy42 wrote: »
    And is a break down in the second. We will see if she can recover.
    She looks to have totally collapsed tbh.....cant see her coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Reminds me a little of Kontas loss in french semi final,,should have won the first set but lost to a crafty Czech player.

Shame to see Muchova lost, clearly tired. Well done Svitolina but she has had serious luck to be in a semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Konta wilting badly.

This is lovely grass court tennis from Strycova, at times making Konta look really one dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Rjd2 wrote: »
    This is lovely grass court tennis from Strycova, at times making Konta look really one dimensional.

This is the first time I’ve seen her play but it is an absolute joy. Her play around the net has been exceptional.

Kontas forehand has gone walkies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Konta forehand was all over the place today.

Konta was pretty poor.

a limp handshake of a performance.

Strycova around a long time but never really heard of her tbh.

Hasn't really featured over 17 years of grand slams except a 1/4 in 2014

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted for Strycovs, have always liked her. Think she can prove a little tricky for Serena, but still can't see her winning. Something like a tight first set then a blowout in the second.

After all the talk of the women's draw falling apart we've ended up with a very solid SF lineup.

Delighted for Strycovs, have always liked her. Think she can prove a little tricky for Serena, but still can't see her winning. Something like a tight first set then a blowout in the second.

After all the talk of the women's draw falling apart we've ended up with a very solid SF lineup.

Yeah think close first set and blow out in second set also.

Halep should be ok against Svitolina, although both girls have had a nice draw and neither would rate grass as their fav surface. Would be amusing for all the slagging Svitolina has got for been the female Zverev....(a beast outside slams hopeless at slams ) if she was to win the one slam where her game is less suited to.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Heard strychova being interviewed prior to match and it was noticeable how relaxed she was feeling, no expectations coming into tournament and every win a bonus. That attitude, assuming she carries it into sf, will undoubtedly help her. Williams is vulnerable I think, as hard as it is to see her actually losing it. Konta was the opposite, too much pressure and got frustrated too quickly. Big opportunity lost there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Svitolina actually has the better head to head record (4-2) but they've never competed on grass I think.

Konta is a frustration seems shes constantly at it that she'll progress in a tournament by beating a top ten or fan fave at one point then follow it up by losing to someone not on many peoples radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah think close first set and blow out in second set also.

Halep should be ok against Svitolina, although both girls have had a nice draw and neither would rate grass as their fav surface. Would be amusing for all the slagging Svitolina has got for been the female Zverev....(a beast outside slams hopeless at slams ) if she was to win the one slam where her game is less suited to.:pac:

Svitolina did get very lucky last week, was been beaten all ends up by gasparyan until latter got injured and had to concede. Been good since then in fairness to her, certainly proving me wrong as I keep backing against her every round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I printed off the singles draws and wrote up my predictions. What a mess!! I guessed 1 of the women's SFists (thank you Halep) and 4 of the men's QFists (usual 3 and Nishikori). Definitely put the hex on them.

First final set tie break was played in men's doubles earlier. Peers and Kontinen beat Ram and Salisbury 13-12 (7-2) in the fifth. On Court 12 and involving the #12 seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Konta absolutely shocking today. You either have the mind for this or you don't.

Harsh enough questioning for Konta in the press room. I think it's fair to ask questions about her nerve - she can't seem to follow through in the big moments. Something psychological there possibly. But harsh to bring it up directly after a defeat.

PressRun wrote: »
    Harsh enough questioning for Konta in the press room. I think it's fair to ask questions about her nerve - she can't seem to follow through in the big moments. Something psychological there possibly. But harsh to bring it up directly after a defeat.

I didn't watch the press conference. Not the first time a British sportsperson bottled it under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

She got a horrible question in the press conference I don't know who the reporter was. Something like do you not need to look at yourself rather than talking about the other player and get better at winning the big points.
    After coming off court to that I thought it was really low.
    I'm not suggesting this was a gender issue but can you imagine a question like that directed at Murray? Thought she handled it pretty well although she was upset.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    She got a horrible question in the press conference I don't know who the reporter was. Something like do you not need to look at yourself rather than talking about the other player and get better at winning the big points.
    I'm not suggesting this was a gender issue but can you imagine a question like that directed at Murray? Thought she handled it pretty well although she was upset.

It's not a great question. I'm no sportsperson but she seemed to lose her rhythm and racquet control. The greats play 1 point at a time and can blank out the environment in my opinion.

I didn't hear the crowd get behind her at any point. I wonder was that on her mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1148645638814490624?s=19

Who in earth does he think he is? Talking like he was her coach.

I'm always amazed at how important journalists/reporters think they are. She gave up her free time to do an interview, she probably an obligation from Wimbledon to turn up. She could basically turn up, pick a person who will give her a soft question and stroll out. But he decided to try and dissect her career and pretended to give a **** just to make himself feel important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

forumdedum wrote: »
    I didn't watch the press conference. Not the first time a British sportsperson bottled it under pressure.

Except she's not British at all

gimli2112 wrote: »

I mean if you say it was all because you were muck it just makes you look like you are entirely disrespecting your opponent. You can't win with your answers here. I am sure Konta is looking at her own flaws in training but it isn't like it will suddenly fix itself when you acknowledge it in a presser.

I think she is a fine player but the toughest opponent any British player has to face is the press. In any sport.

It is always "their year" and a solid tournament is never enough or a positive.

I am sure it was good for sponsorship but can't be good for your game.

So unneeded by that so called journo, what an absolute ballbag.

I mean the average Joe can see Konta may struggle to ever win a grand slam unless they take to the BBC commentating as gospel, commentator literally said yesterday when there was a hint of daylight between her and Kvitova; we don't want to get carried away but...(he then proceeded to do just that, overlooks Strycova)...someone called Serena may await in the Semi-final. :o

British press treat their own terribly, by and large. They seem to love building them up just do they can tear them down. Konta does seem to suffer with her nerves but there's a time and a place, and she was dead right to call out the patronising nature of the "you do want to win a grand slam, dont you?" stuff.

jr86 wrote: »

I'd say that's not exactly news nor hardly a revelation just like a major chunk of the elite level athletes that represent them in a multitude of sports.

jr86 wrote: »

Yes I know this. Perhaps the British fan mentality would affect anyone.

PressRun wrote:
    British press treat their own terribly, by and large. They seem to love building them up just do they can tear them down. Konta does seem to suffer with her nerves but there's a time and a place, and she was dead right to call out the patronising nature of the "you do want to win a grand slam, dont you?" stuff.

Every sport that has a UK player do well is plagued by the British gutter press, they are an absolute scourge on not just sport but society as a whole imo.

What makes that journalist qualified to ask that sort of question other than looking for a reaction?

• Advertisement

In the interview following the doubles victory, interviewer asked Serena how it felt to be an honorary Brit...f'n cringe :pac:

Advertisement