Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the wrong side of the road ....

Options
  • 28-06-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭

I have noticed many cyclists in recent times cycling towards the flow of traffic on the wrong side of the road (in cycle lanes)!

Have had several smart words exchanged too + a few rude gestures, as I have correctly cycled in the left hand cycle lane only to be met by cyclists coming in the opposite direction towards me > against the flow of traffic :cool:

Obviously people have always done this to a degree, but it seems to have accelerated in the last few years.

Why?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because some cyclists do silly things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have noticed many cyclists in recent times cycling towards the flow of traffic on the wrong side of the road (in cycle lanes)!

Have had several smart words exchanged too + a few rude gestures, as I have correctly cycled in the left hand cycle lane only to be met by cyclists coming in the opposite direction towards me > against the flow of traffic :cool:

Obviously people have always done this to a degree, but it seems to have accelerated in the last few years.

Why?
    Are they on road or off road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

They're in the cycle lane coming towards me!
    It's usually a case of who blinks first as to who gives way. Crazy stuff if you ask me, but as I say it seems to be more prevalent recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Commonly referred to as salmon. As in they swim against the current although pink coloured road surfaces also seem to attract them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aren't there some cycle lanes which allow cyclists to go "against" the traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

is_that_so wrote: »

There are but a 'contraflow' cycle lane is often (hardly always?) physically segregated from the other lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I suppose the correct response is to stop, occupying the entirety of the cycle lane and wait for the 'salmon' to go around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I normally just direct a torrent of abuse at them, in the hope that enough people do it and that changes their behaviour.

It's not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is_that_so wrote: »

Off road paths don’t legally have a direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There are some off-road cycle lanes about that are bi-directional where one direct stops abruptly and reappears shortly after on the other side of the road. Fairly understandable in these sometimes, it's terrible infrastructure design.

Cycling the wrong way on an on-road cycle lane is ridiculously stupid though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ted1 wrote: »

Keep left applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I find that it’s normally the the food delivery types that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Sometimes (a lot of the time ?) it is the lane layout that is absolutely confusing. In the link below there are two cycles lanes but the inner one (going towards UCD/city centre) just ends on a footpath. Here, mostly, cyclists then take the remaining cycle lane to continue.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.303388,-6.2081895,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGoTo3GtXeEoAS-wu-TJn8g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see it regularly but, for reasons unknown, it's always inbound on an outbound lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Crippens1 wrote:
    Sometimes (a lot of the time ?) it is the lane layout that is absolutely confusing. In the link below there are two cycles lanes but the inner one (going towards UCD/city centre) just ends on a footpath. Here, mostly, cyclists then take the remaining cycle lane to continue.

Probably just copying the joggers who use it contra flow. {fist shaking bane of my old commute route}

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Grassey wrote: »
    {fist shaking bane of my old commute route}
    jaysus, if i saw him on the bike i'd find a different route.

7affbef0e2155abd-600x338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

jaysus, if i saw him on the bike i'd find a different route.

7affbef0e2155abd-600x338.jpg

Looks like Paris-Roubaix on a rainy day.

I guess he didn't make the calculation !

(or however that's spelt in Carrick-on-Suir)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

american students?

they ride against the traffic in the states don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Driving today I was going to turn right at a junction. I had noticed a cyclist in the wrong lane a bit further back, going very fast. I waited for him to come flying through, ignoring the repeated beeping from the car behind for me to get a move on. I would have wiped the cyclist out, if I had turned.

A couple of weeks back I saw one of them approaching me in the wrong lane. I was approaching a junction on my left and saw there was another cyclist about to come up to that junction to join the main road. I stopped the car a bit back from the junction anticipating what was going to happen. The second cyclist came out from the junction, without checking traffic. Our other friend swerved his bicycle violently into the road to avoid a collision. If I had driven on I would have hit him. It is utter madness to cycle in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

As the OP asked, yes I have noticed it more recently, particularly in on road cycle lanes around the Omni. I’m not sure how you could cycle on the road in the wrong direction.
    Last summer I was driving home northbound on the R132, just past Independent Pizza, where there is a raised segregated cycle lane. I was stopped in traffic and noticed a guy cycling the wrong way. The guy coming towards him, jumped off his bike to block the other guy. Within seconds a fist fight broke out, two Mamals, kicking and punching each other, on a sunny Friday evening.

I know the guy cycling the wrong way was in the wrong, in my world anyway. But as a casual observer it looked so daft. Two grown men, in Lycra, kick boxing each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ted1 wrote: »

Is that true?
    I use Chesterfield Avenue on my commute, the whole thing aces the salmon problem is endemic on it. It pisses me off, it's always really wobbly people, that look like they're going to wobble right into ya. It's so easy to cycle on the right side of the road/ path!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Puggy wrote: »
    As the OP asked, yes I have noticed it more recently, particularly in on road cycle lanes around the Omni. I’m not sure how you could cycle on the road in the wrong direction.
    Last summer I was driving home northbound on the R132, just past Independent Pizza, where there is a raised segregated cycle lane. I was stopped in traffic and noticed a guy cycling the wrong way. The guy coming towards him, jumped off his bike to block the other guy. Within seconds a fist fight broke out, two Mamals, kicking and punching each other, on a sunny Friday evening.

I know the guy cycling the wrong way was in the wrong, in my world anyway. But as a casual observer it looked so daft. Two grown men, in Lycra, kick boxing each other.

I do hope they were wearing cycling shoes with cleats.

nee wrote: »
    .. it's always really wobbly people...
    That's my experience of them also - more like pedestrians with bicycles. I've never experienced a Lycra clad cyclist going the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ve seen it a few times on the R132 near the airport. One guy was riding towards me with a red flashing light on the front of his bike, which took me a while to figure out. Not that easy at 3am after a 12 hour shift!

I’ve seen it a few times on the R132 near the airport....
    It's rampant along there (seems to usually be airport employees).

Crippens1 wrote: »
    Sometimes (a lot of the time ?) it is the lane layout that is absolutely confusing. In the link below there are two cycles lanes but the inner one (going towards UCD/city centre) just ends on a footpath.

No confusion in what I'm talking about, one redish-pink cycle lane on the left hand side of the road with a painted bicycle on it > pointing the direction of traffic flow...yet some cyclists cycle against the flow :cool:

Salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Pretty common on one-way streets on the continent, and seems fair enough. If it's two-way though that's a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

nee wrote: »
    Is that true?
    I use Chesterfield Avenue on my commute, the whole thing aces the salmon problem is endemic on it. It pisses me off, it's always really wobbly people, that look like they're going to wobble right into ya. It's so easy to cycle on the right side of the road/ path!

Shouldn't matter what side of the road you're on if cycling on an off-road path. I regularly do it on my commute as one of the paths on the LHS is terrible and ends at a busy junction. Have had a couple of people shout abuse at me even though there is enough space for about 4 bikes.

Cycled in Buenos Aires earlier this year and all the cycle paths are two-way even on one-way streets. Was a pleasure to walk and cycle there, everyone was very courteous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The problem arises mostly where there is a dual carriageway or a major road with a central median barrier.

As a cyclist, you can find yourself looking at the shop on the far side you want to go to, and wondering how to get across to it. Or it could be a minor road on the far side you want. The cars are all in the relevant right turn lane, indicating to turn. But to get to that outer lane, you would have to climb over some railings and traverse 2 inner lanes of fast moving traffic.

If you had done the salmon thing from the last major junction/crossing point, you'd be there now, instead of just standing there scratching your head.

So yeah, its a design flaw. Some places should have cycle lanes on both sides, in both directions, or else bi-directional cycle lanes, but they don't.

• Advertisement

OK, so just to confirm, I'm talking about Ireland where we drive (and cycle) on the left hand side of the road. Not the continent or South America.

I'm talking about a road with a cycle lane on either side of the road, where one expects the cyclists to cycle in the same direction as car traffic on either side of the road, but as I've said, it seems to me that more & more cyclists are cycling on the wrong side of the road, (against the flow) of traffic.

Annoying, and dangerous?

Advertisement