Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the wrong side of the road ....

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

nak wrote: »
    Shouldn't matter what side of the road you're on if cycling on an off-road path. I regularly do it on my commute as one of the paths on the LHS is terrible and ends at a busy junction. Have had a couple of people shout abuse at me even though there is enough space for about 4 bikes.

Cycled in Buenos Aires earlier this year and all the cycle paths are two-way even on one-way streets. Was a pleasure to walk and cycle there, everyone was very courteous.

I'd say both paths are the same, I don't really see a difference in both tbh and I cycle both (the right way!) every day the whole length of them. I don't cycle in the cycle lane either side from Parkgate Street to the first roundabout as they're in shyte.
    I haven't found the left any worse than the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

OK, so just to confirm, I'm talking about Ireland where we drive (and cycle) on the left hand side of the road. Not the continent or South America.

I'm talking about a road with a cycle lane on either side of the road, where one expects the cyclists to cycle in the same direction as car traffic on either side of the road, but as I've said, it seems to me that more & more cyclists are cycling on the wrong side of the road, (against the flow) of traffic.

Annoying, and dangerous?
    As mentioned, it depends on how easily they can get across to the far side, or whether they can get across at all when they need to.
    In a car, you can easily start indicating any time you want, and move over to the right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

nee wrote: »
    I'd say both paths are the same, I don't really see a difference in both tbh and I cycle both (the right way!) every day the whole length of them. I don't cycle in the cycle lane either side from Parkgate Street to the first roundabout as they're in shyte.
    I haven't found the left any worse than the right?

Sorry, didn't mean that road in particular. My commute is on the other side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

recedite wrote: »
    As mentioned, it depends on how easily they can get across to the far side, or whether they can get across at all when they need to.
    In a car, you can easily start indicating any time you want, and move over to the right lane.

Deep breath, ok again, so let's say there are also several traffic light-pedestrian crossings en-route ...

In other words there is no excuse to be cycling on the wrong side of the road against the flow.....

What more can I say :o

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I've never come across this phenomenon with on road cycle paths. Anywhere that there is a cycle path off road (on pavement), then it happens all the time. Examples are; East Wall Rd towards the bridge to avoid long lights, Old Airport Rd towards Santry to avoid long lights, Clonskea Rd towards the Goat not sure why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I've never come across this phenomenon with on road cycle paths. Anywhere that there is a cycle path off road (on pavement), then it happens all the time. Examples are; East Wall Rd towards the bridge to avoid long lights, Old Airport Rd towards Santry to avoid long lights, Clonskea Rd towards the Goat not sure why. I think it's okay where there are no junctions, but lethal otherwise as drivers often only look for traffic from the right when turning on to a road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I don't mind it. On Cork city, there's often only a cycle lane on one side of road . I know how vulnerable you feel as a cyclist so am not going to be bothered if am on cycle lane and meet a cyclist going the wrong way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as I've said, it seems to me that more & more cyclists are cycling on the wrong side of the road, (against the flow) of traffic.

Annoying, and dangerous?
    mildly irritating and more dangerous than cycling in the correct direction, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I was driving on the N25 last week, 2 Lane Dual Carriageway, Armco barrier and a hedge down the middle. It was going to work time so very busy and suddenly there is a cyclist coming towards me in the right hand lane (his left), there is no hard shoulder on that side of the road, we are all doing 100 kmph.
    I can only imagine that he was taking a shortcut across the road but he would only have saved about 200 meters over going up to the flyover.
    I don't know if he was drunk, stupid or suicidal but at least the first would wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    Off road paths don’t legally have a direction.
    nee wrote: »
    Is that true?
    I also wondered if this is true. If it is then they should not simply have a bike painted on the ground which appears upright to those travelling in the flow of traffic. It should have arrows pointing both ways as a warning. I also still have to hear it confirmed if pedestrians are fully in the right to use cycle tracks, if so they should be called by that name, either officially or whenever somebody talks about "perfectly good cyclelanes"

I can tolerate those doing it who are obviously recognising that they are going the wrong way and get out of your way, even if it is legal they should know they are going the opposite way to 99% of the rest and so give way, I have gotten eejits staying slap in the middle as though you are in the wrong. There was some prick on a giant e scooter who would fly along the wrong way on the N11 slap in the middle of the cycle track expect those going with the flow of traffic to get out of his way.

I am still fearing the day I see or hear about a nasty crash at this spot,
    https://goo.gl/maps/z8SBUpp8MeQYwvJEA
    due to somebody going the wrong way. It is a blind spot and people can be going at huge speed. Also I have noticed the cool/idiotic people now sit on the mini wall there right before the fence while waiting for the bus.
    to make matters worse the lampost is reducing the width of the path and the manhole covers are also adding to the danger. Its like a laughable OTT description/image of what NOT to do when designing such things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Off road cycle tracks MAY be two way, but are not always.

If they are, there must be a broken white line as lane separator and double bike logos, with the orientation of the bicycle indicating direction.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/provision_of_cycling_facilities_ch7_20061.pdf

I challenge anyone to find a better source!

Advertisement