Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prevent theft of Ride On mower?

Options
  • 28-06-2019 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

I've had my 4 year old ride-on mower and a chain saw stolen recently from a locked shed. Keys of mower left untouched. I've contacted Gardaí, local neighbourhood watch and insurance company.

I don't think I'm likely to ever see the mower or chainsaw again!
    Local suppliers tell me there are numerous similar thefts lately in midlands. How can my new mower(whenever I get to replace it) be any more secure???? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Gorteen wrote: »
    I've had my 4 year old ride-on mower and a chain saw stolen recently from a locked shed. Keys of mower left untouched. I've contacted Gardaí, local neighbourhood watch and insurance company.

Local suppliers tell me there are numerous similar thefts lately in midlands. How can my new mower(whenever I get to replace it) be any more secure???? :confused:

ABUS ground anchor, chain and lock.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    ABUS ground anchor, chain and lock.

https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Wall-Floor-Anchors/GRANIT-WBA-100

I use these for my quads and motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Thanks Pkiernan

Where did you get it? Are they easily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Most motorbike shops would have a range of them.

Amazon too.

They're not cheap.
    I have the anchors, Granit locks and hardened chains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Amazon too.

They're not cheap.
    I have the anchors, Granit locks and hardened chains.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

beware of dog sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can't really see the point of the ABUS ground anchor when you can get a really heavy duty M12 eye rawlbolt for about €6 in a local builders merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Gorteen wrote: »

Let me guess... they came to your garden via an adjacent field/garden and lifted your mower out the same way. It happened at around 2/3 am. You had cut the grass recently before it was taken...

my3cents wrote: »
    Can't really see the point of the ABUS ground anchor when you can get a really heavy duty M12 eye rawlbolt for about €6 in a local builders merchants.

The ABUS is hardened, and once the security ball bearings are inserted in to the anchor bolts they're not coming out unless the concrete is broken out. The downside of this is you can't move them yourself if you want to.

• Advertisement

The ABUS is hardened, and once the security ball bearings are inserted in to the anchor bolts they're not coming out unless the concrete is broken out. The downside of this is you can't move them yourself if you want to.

Tell me exactly how you can get a 17mm wide rawlbolt out of concrete?

As soon as you padlock a chain to it you can't rotate it to unscrew it.

Edit> I'll put it another way an M12 or bigger eye rawlbolt into good concrete is going to be a lot better than not getting an Arbus anchor because you thought it was too expensive.

my3cents wrote: »
    Tell me exactly how you can get a 17mm wide rawlbolt out of concrete?

As soon as you padlock a chain to it you can't rotate it to unscrew it.

Edit> I'll put it another way an M12 or bigger eye rawlbolt into good concrete is going to be a lot better than not getting an Arbus anchor because you thought it was too expensive.

Get what you want my friend.

Not interested in debating the merits of using €10 components to secure multi thousand euro mowers.

Unfollowing.

Get what you want my friend.

Not interested in debating the merits of using €10 components to secure multi thousand euro mowers.

Unfollowing.

But that unfortunately is the way a lot of people think, £60 and it may get put off till its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No experience with this product...just came across it by chance, don't even know if it would work for a ride-on, but looks convincing

https://www.suipco.ie/suip-protector/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anything made of metal can be defeated by an angle grinder.

A windowless block shed with a high security door is possibly the best bet, but my preferred option is to pay someone else to mow the grass.

I think there's merit in using an attached garage as thieves tend to be less keen to break into people's houses than outbuildings.

Or.... obstruct the exit with a massive concrete block attached to an electric winch, and turn off the power in the shed from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Take the wheels off her and leave her on blocks.they are only held on with clips.5 minutes job.hide wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Take the wheels off her and leave her on blocks.they are only held on with clips.5 minutes job.hide wheels

They'll carry it out without the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I have a compressor worth alot of money and they have tried twice, i have two ground anchors, 3 decent chains.

Only 3 months ago i went out to the garage at 4am to confront 4 'joe joycers'. Was heart racing stuff but i had a crossbow pointed at them and thank god i didnt have to use it.

I had a canarian corso up until last year, best deterrent by a long mile...... Until he went and chocked himself to death with a bar of soap ffs

Holy thread resurrection batman!

So, I'm finally getting a ride-on. It'll be parked parallel to a 2m block retaining wall. I might build a lean to over it at some point.

My idea is to get two massive eye bolts, e.g.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/eye-bolts/0673686

...bolt one to the chassis/deck whatever of the ride-on (using thread-lock), and another to the wall (probably epoxied in to a hole), and the feed a chunky u-lock, e.g. this

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/002178.htm

through both of them. And then have it watched by an outdoor Nest camera.

This solution appears to be bolt-cropper proof and awkward to access with a grinder (since it'll be low down between the wall and ride-on.

I've looked at wall anchors but they seem to be either very expensive (e.g. over 100 euros for a Squire) and/or made of thin (e.g. 6mm) steel.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement