Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HATE CRIME IN THURLES

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

To be fair they rarely have statues.
    And don’t even mention Cartoons ! Joyless lot .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I blame a yahoo from Kilkenny just cos....

Those kats are not welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I blame a yahoo from Kilkenny just cos....

Those kats are not welcome

Tommy "Ram" Dillion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Really, why?

I see a long future of attacks on statutes in our future.

You see our laws getting attacked?

Anywho police have released CCTV footage of the perp, won't be long until he's caught

889288.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Same thing happened poor old Padraic o connaire in eyre square.they got some head banger trying to board a bus eireann bus with the head in a bag.
    He’s in a museum now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Same thing happened poor old Padraic o connaire in eyre square.they got some head banger trying to board a bus eireann bus with the head in a bag.
    He’s in a museum now.

Head banger or Padraic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I believe he said a great mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

branie2 wrote: »
    Head banger or Padraic?

Padraic got the museum head banger got a day in court.
    It’s a good while back.
    Pretty sad though.we all had pictures took with Padraic as kids and it was a meeting point pre mobile phone days for people.that and the fountain.
    All gone now

JayZeus wrote: »
    This is a good start.

When will they be removing the rest of these religious statues?

After the removal of all the statues, streetnames and institutions of the British royalist cult that you've a partiality to defending here? I'd be open to compromise and say at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most of you here are Catholic.

You can never leave the Church after you're Confirmed.

It's sad to to see this apathy. When you're dying on your death bed you'll be repenting and praying to all the Saints.

Believe me I've seen it first hand with family members.

I left it years ago, the right hand door was open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Wonder if it was a Islamic statue would you type this, no no you wouldnt

You've obviously never seen a Muslim related thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How is this a "hate crime"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Attacks on churches are often considered hate crimes. You should know this. As are attacks on mosques and synagogues.

It does depend on who is doing it and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Firstly you require a shoe-horn. With this you get your agenda and work it in to whatever incident comes to hand.

• Advertisement

Attacks on churches are often considered hate crimes. You should know this. As are attacks on mosques and synagogues.

It does depend on who is doing it and why.
    it may turn out not to be a hate crime. the media default would be to label it a hate crime until proven otherwise. i dont see why this case should be different. can anyone with a straight face tell me that if the mosque in Clonskeagh in Dublin were vandalised, it wouldnt be called a hate crime? come off it

Odhinn wrote: »
    Firstly you require a shoe-horn. With this you get your agenda and work it in to whatever incident comes to hand.

Let’s say it happened a few hundred miles north.

(Not that I think this is a hate crime).

That would be sectarian.

If it did, but it didn't.

kneemos wrote: »
    That would be sectarian.

How fI you know this isn’t? Nobody can assume anything at the minute. So it probably isn’t, but could be, a hate crime.

• Advertisement

How fI you know this isn’t? Nobody can assume anything at the minute. So it probably isn’t, but could be, a hate crime.

Our 911.

amazing how unwilling people are to use the Hate Crime label isnt? do we feel it is perhaps somewhat overused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Im sitting in my house for the past 2 hours listening to my off his neighbour roaring at me that he is going to kill me . Im also waiting,locked into the house, for the gards to come. Still. As the threats comtinue and the banging at my door. There is too lenient an approact taken to the vermin in 'society' and the country has come to the state that everyone knows that you can do whatever you want and there will be no consequence. Umtil we start with a no tolerance approach and prompt respknses and proper punishment this kind of thing will be allowed to continue. It is only getting worse. Gaurds are 5 minutes away from me and could hear the treats and banging of my door on the 999 call. What hope have statues.

If it did, but it didn't.

We don’t know the reason here. And can atheists be sectarian? Maybe.

Seeing one decapitation of a statue as a hate crime, and another as not does in fact depend on the circumstances. However it can in fact be a hate crime.

As far as I know the poster who incredulously asked how this could be considered a hate crime is from a jurisdiction where it mostly certainly would be.

It’s a strange question to ask.

Our 911.

Don’t drag the debate into stupidity. If this attack was from non Catholics it’s a hate crime. And, no I’m not a believer.

Im sitting in my house for the past 2 hours listening to my off his neighbour roaring at me that he is going to kill me . Im also waiting,locked into the house, for the gards to come. Still. As the threats comtinue and the banging at my door. There is too lenient an approact taken to the vermin in 'society' and the country has come to the state that everyone knows that you can do whatever you want and there will be no consequence. Umtil we start with a no tolerance approach and prompt respknses and proper punishment this kind of thing will be allowed to continue. It is only getting worse. Gaurds are 5 minutes away from me and could hear the treats and banging of my door on the 999 call. What hope have statues.

Worth mentioning that in another thread. It is interesting how working class areas are abandoned.

Don’t drag the debate into stupidity. If this attack was from non Catholics it’s a hate crime. And, no I’m not a believer.

What the **** is a 'hate crime"supposed to be. Somebody didn't like the statue for whatever reason,calling it a hate crime doesn't make it any better or worse.

Or is it code for less blame the Muslims?

What the **** is a 'hate crime"supposed to be. Somebody didn't like the statue for whatever reason,calling it a hate crime doesn't make it any better or worse.
    agreed.

Or is it code for less blame the Muslims?

No it’s not.

For the hard of thinking, here is all that I said.

This could be a hate crime but probably isn’t.

(Well it definitely isn’t in Ireland where there’s no such legislation but you get the idea).

The question is whether this crime was motivated by sectarian hatred, or just drunken high jinks etc.

Almost certainly the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

do the perpitrator have to be non catholic for this to be a hate crime.

if a gay man atacked another gay man because he was gay would that be any diferent than if a straight man did it

• Advertisement

do the perpitrator have to be non catholic for this to be a hate crime.

if a gay man atacked another gay man because he was gay would that be any diferent than if a straight man did it
    i think that example would still be a hate crime. as far as i can tell its the motivation behind it not the identity of the perpetrator

No it’s not.

(Well it definitely isn’t in Ireland where there’s no such legislation but you get the idea).

The question is whether this crime was motivated by sectarian hatred, or just drunken high jinks etc.

Or both,or neither.

We don’t know the reason here. And can atheists be sectarian? Maybe.

Seeing one decapitation of a statue as a hate crime, and another as not does in fact depend on the circumstances. However it can in fact be a hate crime.

As far as I know the poster who incredulously asked how this could be considered a hate crime is from a jurisdiction where it mostly certainly would be.

It’s a strange question to ask.

It might be, but odds are its a pissed eejit crime.

It might be, but odds are its a pissed eejit crime.

That’s all I’m saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Feral kids on summer holiday.... simples. Little scrotes just getting started on their lawless paths.

And sheesh, when did a prank become s hate crime? Be jaysus we’re gone very precious altogether

Metoerites get away with murder.

Metoerites get away with murder.

Tis true enough. Millions of Dinos dead, no one ever charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I reckon twas John Kiely's men trying to psych us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Most of you here are Catholic.

You can never leave the Church after you're Confirmed.

It's sad to to see this apathy. When you're dying on your death bed you'll be repenting and praying to all the Saints.

Believe me I've seen it first hand with family
    A person can't pretend to believe in something they don't believe in. As long as I leave you to your religious beliefs and practices and respect that that's your belief/faith (and I do) you should imo respect that I don't believe - I can't. I'd imagine it is a really nice thing, very comforting - and lovely messages and values come from the interpretation of new testament Christianity that Christ appealed for, and it is awesome when it helps people turn their lives around after prison, drug addiction etc, but I simply cannot force myself to believe.

You either do or don't, or don't know what to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Worth mentioning that in another thread. It is interesting how working class areas are abandoned.

Houses going here for from 400-650k. Everybody working - not "working" class.

Re.religion I agree..it's very rare to not have a religious funeral -despite what the papers wpuld have you believe.very few people take that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No it’s not.

In either case it's still a pathetic act of destruction of public property.

We bang on about the vandalism, rightly, of the Luke Kelly statue yet the neck-beard edge-lords(and some ladies) here that are still sticking it to the CC post secondary school cheer this ****e on like it's some kind of act of heroism. Go figure.

I'm not religious in the slightest, this statue means jot all to me but there's many for whom this statue does mean or represent something positive to them.

But hey every Catholic and institution is vermin so...

Houses going here for from 400-650k. Everybody working - not "working" class.

Re.religion I agree..it's very rare to not have a religious funeral -despite what the papers wpuld have you believe.very few people take that risk.

Fifteen percent in 2016 were non religious. A decent number given the captive audience they had back in the day.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/more-irish-opt-for-non-religious-funerals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Are people not allowed to be Catholic at all these days? Just more of the "change everything" attitude of people who want to wipe their own country out.

Are people not allowed to be Catholic at all these days? Just more of the "change everything" attitude of people who want to wipe their own country out.

You can be a tuxedo wearing catholic fire breathing dragon for all i care, how is anyone trying to "wipe their own country out"?

You can be a tuxedo wearing catholic fire breathing dragon for all i care, how is anyone trying to "wipe their own country out"?

That's just a general attitude the new breed of 'Irish' people have. Anything that used to be done MUST be changed simply because it used to be done.
    That's not for this thread though, just that the attitude to Catholicism is just another element of it.

Aren't you a protestant Briton anyway? I can't see why you're interested in hate crimes in Tipperary. Are you looking for ideas or something?

• Advertisement

That's just a general attitude the new breed of 'Irish' people have. Anything that used to be done MUST be changed simply because it used to be done.
    That's not for this thread though, just that the attitude to Catholicism is just another element of it.

Aren't you a protestant Briton anyway? I can't see why you're interested in hate crimes in Tipperary. Are you looking for ideas or something?

The new breed of 'Irish' are just as Irish as the old breed.

Change happens in every generation.

The new breed of 'Irish' are just as Irish as the old breed.

Change happens in every generation.

These are a disgrace to the country and they'll end up selling us out and back to Britain before all is said and done.

These are a disgrace to the country and they'll end up selling us out and back to Britain before all is said and done.

Ah, cop yourself on with that ****e.

Ah, cop yourself on with that ****e.

They crave kudos for being progressive and modern. They'll end this country in an effort to get them.

They crave kudos for being progressive and modern. They'll end this country in an effort to get them.

What, English people !?

You do realise some four million English are Catholic right?

Stop trying to derail the thread just because you don't like the English.

• Advertisement
Advertisement