Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaky scalp everytime I use any other shampoo than E45 dry scalp shampoo

Options
  • 28-06-2019 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys just wandered if anyone could shed any light on an issue I'm having with my hair/scalp the last few months. I got a flaky scalp around 6 months ago, so started using boots own brand build up removal shampoo, which got rid of the flaky scalp but stripped the colour from my hair (obviously) I noticed when I tried a different shampoo, even once the flaky scalp would return with a vengeance. In the last 4 months I've switched to E45 dry scalp shampoo (which is expensive) and when I've tried other shampoos, even once, the flaky scalp returns straight away. It's driving me up the wall. The E45 shampoo is so drying as well, so my hair feels all dry and awful also. It's a nightmare. I've tried all sorts of other shampoos, from more expensive to cheap ones and it keeps happening. I don't know what's causing it or what to do. Also have dry scaly skin on my ears also. Only place I have dry flaking skin other than my scalp. I've used shampoos that are dermatologically tested, have no parabens, have no sulfates etc etc and still it keeps happening, don't know what to do as don't want to keep using the E45 shampoo

If you have any suggestions please let me know thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I find the Philip Kingsley flaky itchy scalp shampoo very good wherever I need a soothing type one.
    Its not supermarket cheap but its not expensive either. I think with shampoos you get what you pay for.
    My friend with a more persistent dry scalp has switched to Liz Earle shampoo and conditioner and swears by it. Hope its of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I’ve tried head and shoulders, t gel, nizerol, liz Earle, organic shampoo bars, e45 shampoo, tea tree shampoo, children’s shampoo, moogoo shampoo for sensitive skin and countless others and I find that a good clarifying shampoo helps but really the best thing I’ve used is the head and shoulders conditioner, not shampoo. I use the shine and control one i think it’s called (with the pink decals on the front) and it’s brill. Supervalue and Tesco frequently have two bottles for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

I also have dry, flaky scalp. I've had it for years. I used to use Elave shampoo for quite some time, because it has no parabens, SLS, perfume, etc. but I hated how coarse my hair was after it. Now I tried the ogx brand - moroccan argan oil with silk proteins (the round blue bottles, available in Boots) and at least my hair is smoother... and as to the scalp - i just massage it with a comb every day to scrub off dead skin / tiny flakes to avoid the build-up and if I see the flakes are becoming larger I just wash my hair more often. I don't think there's a cure for dry scalp. If one has dry skin, one can put a moisturising cream on every day after showering. It's hard to do the same with the scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

It sounds like you’re over washing it and causing your scalp to get even drier.

The reason the Head and Shoulders conditioner seems to help is because it’s a conditioner, it’s pH level is acidic and doesn’t contain the harsh detergents that strip the oil from your skin. Any conditioner would work as well.

Ideally, you need to go around 2 weeks without washing your scalp with shampoo, just use water. Give the scalp a chance to adjust. Yes, it will be awful during that period but when you start washing it again, just use a gentle shampoo and only wash it once, focussing on the hair, not the scalp and rinse thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

MinnieMinx wrote: »

The reason the Head and Shoulders conditioner seems to help is because it’s a conditioner, it’s pH level is acidic and doesn’t contain the harsh detergents that strip the oil from your skin. Any conditioner would work as well.

Just giving my own experience. Feel free to come and take all the half used bottles of conditioner in my bathroom that just made the problem worse until I found the H&S one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

MinnieMinx wrote: »

It also depends if one has dry scalp or just dandruff... they're two totally different things. Dandruff is a fungal infection of scalp and you need to treat it with an antibiotic.

As I said, I have dry flaky scalp myself. I find that when I go on holiday and wash my hair every day for two weeks (because I like to wash it after swimming in the pool or the sea), my scalp is in the best condition ever, i.e. no flakes...

I have long hair and it doesn't become greasy at root, so normally I don't have to wash it often - it looks ok even after one week. But I find that the longer I don't wash it, the more flakes build up and the bigger they become.
    That's from my experience.

When people who have normal or oily scalp overwash their hair, it usually becomes greasier, as they stimulate the scalp to produce more oil - that's from my friends experience.

So it makes sense to me that when I wash my hair more often and I gently scrub my scalp with a comb twice a day, I stimulate the glands to produce more oil, so my scalp isn't as dry and flaky then.

Advertisement