Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports Extra - BT & Premier Sports post 1st August

• 28-06-2019 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Sports-Extra.png

sportsextra2.png
    Wonder how much??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

80 euro I am guessing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nope, not a chance. They’d be charging it already for Sky Sports if they thought the market could bear it. I expect it will be in or around the €25-40 range with a discount for Sky Sports subscribers

Mod note:
    To date we’ve been keeping all discussion of BT & Premier in the eir Sport thread. There’s an argument that because they’ll be going their separate ways there should now be separate threads. I’ll consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Personally, I'm waiting to see if they give "new" subscribers with a Sky subscription without sports currently, a good price for all 3.

Here's hoping

icdg wrote: »
    Nope, not a chance. They’d be charging it already for Sky Sports if they thought the market could bear it.

Well obviously I am including the cost of Sky Sports.

Sky do a 6 mth deal for new sports subs for 20 quid.

Must be looking at say 50 for the 3 as a intro offer come August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The BT channels are pretty important with Champions Cup rugby and Champions League soccer - the biggest competitions in both codes.

I am holding out hope that the BT channels will be incuded in Now tv, just like the BT ones were included in the eir sports pack.

My guess is that Sky will offer a sweet broadband + sports package to new subscribers. They may even include eir sports as part of a deal since eir look to be getting access to the bt content.

An offer of €100 p/m for 6 months and then €200 p/m for the following 12 months would work out around €166 p/m over 18 months (full hd and entertainment and sports).

A lot to ask for people to pay.

If Now tv offered sky sports and bt for €50 p/m I would sign up as I rarely need to record stuff. I also think catchup is coming to Now tv soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

I presume this means we will be getting the full Premier Sport 1 & 2 in Ireland on the EPG. What happens to the EIR Sport simulcasts of Premier? I’m due for FTTH very soon. One less reason to stick with Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Prime having the first Merseyside Derby in December is another surprise. Unsure if that's UK/Ireland rights or only UK.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Prime having the first Merseyside Derby in December is another surprise. Unsure if that's UK/Ireland rights or only UK.
    I'm open to correction but I think that the Prime bundle of games are UK-only with Premier having Irish rights for that bundle.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

byte wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I think that the Prime bundle of games are UK-only with Premier having Irish rights for that bundle.

Prime is UK only not Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it’s the first time ever a different broadcaster will have rights in Ireland to one of the UK packages. But there’s an upside for us - anyone who fancies watching these games (or some of them anyway) in their local in Ireland will be able to do so, whereas Amazon just isn’t interested in commercial subscriptions in the same way (their aim is to sell Prime subscriptions).

Just to confirm that Premier Sport will mirror Amazons games here but they’ll be available on satellite and have 3pms which of course Amazon won’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭fman

I know everything is still up in the air and slightly confused but does anyone know or have an idea if there will be any limitations with Premier's Irish stuff.
    Will they be capable of offering the games in HD with opt outs or whatever?

fman wrote: »
    I know everything is still up in the air and slightly confused but does anyone know or have an idea if there will be any limitations with Premier's Irish stuff.
    Will they be capable of offering the games in HD with opt outs or whatever?

Premier Sport will have HD.

Unsure whether their Red Button service if it is to happen will though

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

More importantly in all of this is the question in relation to Eir, will subscribing to Eir Broadband come without BT Sport package now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Yes, from August 1st. Eirsport only.

tbayers wrote: »
    More importantly in all of this is the question in relation to Eir, will subscribing to Eir Broadband come without BT Sport package now??

Yeah no BT with Eir from August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So how do we get BT Sport now that its going off the Eir pack.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    So how do we get BT Sport now that its going off the Eir pack.

Subscribe to it through Sky Sports Extra come August when it launches.

fman wrote: »

The only limitation I’m aware of is that they won’t be offering the Pro14 here.

• Advertisement

Bit more detail in this Irish Times piece. You can sign up to Sports Extra on its own if you want but can't choose between BT & Premier. Must take both.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/eir-confirm-that-customers-will-no-longer-receive-bt-sport-free-of-charge-1.3942893

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Not looking forward to the extra cost involved in this as an eir bb customer.

Will probably look to switching bb to sky to try get a better deal nearer the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Anything more than €50 for both and it will get a big no from me, bad enough UFC have started charging for PPV, but to link it with Sky now, no thanks

Okay, we’ll see how this works.

This thread is now for continuing discussion on BT Sport and Premier Sports after 1st August 2019. FreeSports programmes can be discussed here but not it’s status as part of the eir Sport pack.

This thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056889518

Is for discussion of eir Sport post 1st August.

If this doesn’t work and there’s continued cross discussion, then both threads will be merged, and afterwards there will be a ban on new threads in any Cable & Digital forum on the subject of eir Sport, BT Sport, or Premier Sports until 1st September 2019

Someone said on the Now tv thread that BT/Premier would also be available on it.
    Not much good to you if you don't have good broadband or want to record but it could be a decent option.

What's the story with Box Nation now?

Should move with the BT Sport channels but Sky haven’t said anything.

Incidentally, on the wholesale front, Virgin Media are saying on Twitter that they haven’t done a deal. So currently the only wholesale deal we know about is with eir (and apparently only for BT Sport).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Should move with the BT Sport channels but Sky haven’t said anything.

Incidentally, on the wholesale front, Virgin Media are saying on Twitter that they haven’t done a deal. So currently the only wholesale deal we know about is with eir (and apparently only for BT Sport).

Makes sense for Virgin not to do a deal. Too much crossover between BT sport and Virgin sport.

No confirmation that Sky have done a deal with eir either.

The eir Care people have been telling people all weekend that they have a deal in place to offer BT Sport as a premium service - I think it will be a severe case of “insult to injury” if that isn’t true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

The eir Care people have been telling people all weekend that they have a deal in place to offer BT Sport as a premium service - I think it will be a severe case of “insult to injury” if that isn’t true.

Agreed.

Discussions ongoing according to today's IT. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/bt-sport-loss-an-own-goal-eir-should-be-looking-to-avoid-1.3943217?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

For those who have Eir Tv having the BT Sport channels in HD was a huge bonus as part of the basic essential pack for €15.

if its offered as a premium service will it be extra for HD ? and as it stands Sky sports on Eir Tv is SD only.

From reading the snippets online it looks as if the premier sports/ Bt sports on the sky platform may be offered as a stand alone sub, no need to have a basic sky Tv sub .

we will have to wait and see

I hope as part of this deal we get BT Sport in 4k/Atmos on the Sky platform that would be super.

How long more does the current BT contract to show the Champions League & Europa League in both the UK & RoI go on for? Is it 2021? Outside of free to air obligations would Virgin Sports want RoI exclusive rights if they were awarded those rights again I wonder?

Yeah, it’s 2021 - the upcoming season is the second of a three year period. I’d expect UEFA to kick off the tv rights sales in the Autumn or early next year.

How long more does the current BT contract to show the Champions League & Europa League in both the UK & RoI go on for? Is it 2021? Outside of free to air obligations would Virgin Sports want RoI exclusive rights if they were awarded those rights again I wonder?

I'd say if Virgin Media were looking for exclusive Irish rights then BT or whoever has the UK rights would torpedo their bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Shero1985

The whole thing is madness.

In any other industry, competition means lower prices. When it comes to tv in Ireland, it just makes things more expensive for customers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Shero1985 wrote: »

In any other industry, competition means lower prices. When it comes to tv in Ireland, it just makes things more expensive for customers!

I suppose the difference is that it's not really competition. If you had 2 options on how to watch the same sport, then things would be cheaper. But really it's a monopoly on the product, so they can charge pretty much what they want. The only way it would change is if people stopped subscribing, but not sure if that'd ever happen. People love their soccerball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Shero1985 wrote: »

-Platforms should not be allowed to own and run tv channels so run the channels and sell the platform or vice versa.

-All channels should be made available on all platforms (provided enough capacity available) so Sky Atlantic would be available on eir and VM for example.

VM Sport be on eir and Sky. BT Sport be on VM.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    -Platforms should not be allowed to own and run tv channels so run the channels and sell the platform or vice versa.

-All channels should be made available on all platforms (provided enough capacity available) so Sky Atlantic would be available on eir and VM for example.

VM Sport be on eir and Sky. BT Sport be on VM.

If that happened no channel would bid a decent value.
    Perhaps a wholesale value should be placed on the product but how do you estimate that value until someone wants to outbid another broadcaster.

It is why all these sports rights are a bubble. Companies will keep outbidding each other until someone goes bust and then the house of cards will fall with clubs going under across the board.

All this is very interesting, but perhaps a bit off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Just got an email from Sky asking me to register my interest in Sky Sports Extra.
    Didn't give details on pricing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Just got an email from Sky asking me to register my interest in Sky Sports Extra.
    Didn't give details on pricing

What’s the point in registering your interest? Is it so sky can get an idea about subscribers so they can set pricing? Like we are all going to hear about it when the adverts come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Agreed - I just followed the links to see if there was actually any detail about pricing.
    No matter what it is, I need to have THE conversation with them - "Sub is too much, what can you do for me or I'm leaving...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I hope as part of this deal we get BT Sport in 4k/Atmos on the Sky platform that would be super.

I read from the tvforum.uk's BT Sport Thread that BT Sport 4K launching on 'larger screen' services is due imminently.

I could assume that it could be launching on Sky here very soon so watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Got the Sky sports email today. However in all the info and speculation over past few days I haven't seen any mention of where the SPFL games(not just Old Firm) will be shown next season. Anyone see it referenced on any platform ??

Same as before, Sky & BT (last season of the deal - it’s back to Sky exclusively from 2020).

Like last season Premier Sports will have Scottish Cup and SPFL Cup matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Will virgin media be offering the bt sports channels along with their sky sports subscription, or offer them as an extra add on, or not be offering them at all as per last few years??

At the moment, the word is “not at all”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I read from the tvforum.uk's BT Sport Thread that BT Sport 4K launching on 'larger screen' services is due imminently.

I could assume that it could be launching on Sky here very soon so watch this space.

BT Sport 4K is already available to Virgin Media TV customers in the UK with the "Bigger Pack" https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles#tvlistings-top

Can't see it launching on Sky. Even their own 4K channels aren't on the EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

BT Sport 4K is already available to Virgin Media TV customers in the UK with the "Bigger Pack" https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles#tvlistings-top

Can't see it launching on Sky. Even their own 4K channels aren't on the EPG

4K on Sky is a nightmare, you have to pay for HD, UHD and an additional Multi Screen charge just to get 4k, as well as the Sky Sports sub as well. Oh and the cost of the box if you don't have it already

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement