Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best price (?) Health insurance for an old man with Parkinson's disease

Options
  • 28-06-2019 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello everyone, would like to help my neighbor, an old man with Parkinson's disease. Been paying over five grands a year on insurance even though never used emergency services. The quotes online do not show advanced settings for specific ages and people with certain disabilities. What companies and plans do you know of that I can contact, which are known for competitive prices? Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have you tried the HIA comparison tool?

https://www.hia.ie/health-insurance-comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Yes, they don't have advanced options according to the patient's profile. For example only shows age 26+, without details of exact age and specific conditions. These are the most important for a real quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How old?
    Is he entitled to a medical card?
    Does he really need insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

not entitled, not on social :) has a private pension I believe. I don't know know if he really needs, but I'd say it is 90% better to have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yes, they don't have advanced options according to the patient's profile. For example only shows age 26+, without details of exact age and specific conditions. These are the most important for a real quote.

Doesn't matter. Health insurance in Ireland is open enrollment, there's no difference in price.

Only difference you'll get is LCR so if he's never had health insurance before, he might be paying extra.

Any current diagnosed health issues though are subject to a waiting period (5 years) if he's new to the market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

not entitled, not on social :) has a private pension I believe. I don't know know if he really needs, but I'd say it is 90% better to have one!

He should definitely apply for a Med Card. He should qualify on medical grounds. He'd need to have a huge pension not to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The quotes online do not show advanced settings for specific ages and people with certain disabilities.

That is not how medical insurance works in Ireland. You take out a policy and, after sitting out a waiting period for pre-existing conditions, you are covered for most surgical procedures and certain (depending on the policy) outpatient benefits. The policies that are on offer are not geared towards people with long term illnesses or disabilities.

If your friend is looking for a policy which will cover palliative or long term nursing care, I don't believe there is any such product in the marketplace. Most medical policies cover nursing care but it's effectively restricted to rehab/recuperation following an injury, illness or a scheduled procedure like a hip replacement and the benefit is limited to a set number of days in each 12 months.

Advertisement