Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank God for that

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Homer

How does the loss work out for you when dealing with the bank that issues the loan? Do you still have to make up the difference in a once off payment or will they accept continued monthly payments on the loan? Surely they have no asset to recover if you stop paying? It’s not a huge amount I know but wonder how they look at situations like this where clients want to sell property at a loss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The bank may not allow you to sell it. They have a say as they have an interest in the asset. A lot will depend on negotiation with the bank.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Love_BBC

Not sure what point OP was making. So a landlord stops being a landlord and someone who was renting gets to own their home. Everyone's a winner.

You say you bought at X and now selling at a loss. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? Everyone makes their own decisions.

You made a decision, it ended badly and now you act like you've been hard done by.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Love_BBC wrote: »
    Not sure what point OP was making. So a landlord stops being a landlord and someone who was renting gets to own their home. Everyone's a winner.

You say you bought at X and now selling at a loss. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? Everyone makes their own decisions.

You made a decision, it ended badly and now you act like you've been hard done by.

Mod Note
    This post falls short of the expectations for this forum. If we were to reply to every thread in this manner, people would stop posting in the forum altogether.

We have many posts from tenants talking about termination notices, rent increases etc and if we were to reply to their posts in the same semi-abusive tone as this post, this forum would be a horrible place to visit.

Consider this a verbal warning not to post in this tone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Not very fair bbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Love_BBC wrote: »

Why would I want anyone feeling sorry for me? I'm celebrating.

I was just posting my own experience of trying to sell the apartment and my experience of being a landlord. That's all.

The relief at no longer being a target for the gov, the revenue, delinquent tenants...etc etc is great. Anyone else coming out??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Been getting the wife to have a read of all things rental related, she's finally coming around to my way of thinking. Time to get rid.

Get her to read top gear post on the daft ads thread. My crowd cost me but this post is scary..page 5 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Were are the posters now that think landlords are printing money ?

OP congrats sounds like the right decision for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

rightmove wrote: »
    The relief at no longer being a target for the gov, the revenue, delinquent tenants...etc etc is great. Anyone else coming out??

Out since June. Thanks be ta Jaysis!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Get her to read top gear post on the daft ads thread. My crowd cost me but this post is scary..page 5 btw

For anyone wondering the post referred to above is
    I have no idea how many default, Id say its rare enough but when it happens, it can happen in expensive style.

In the local paper here about 2 weeks there was a court case against a tenant not paying rent. No rent paid in about 16 months, 24000 euros owed to the landlady* and the landlord had to go to the RTB and then Naas district court (twice!) to get the judge to order the tenant to leave or else.

That house will never get rented again! Ye'd want to be mad to rent out a house with that level of risk. :pac:

*Landladys son actually, the lady is in a nursing home

There are 2 articles in the leinster leader on that case. Behind paywall though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Best of luck to you!

I've been a landlord , extremely stressful all around and unless you own a portfolio between dealing with tenants , repairs and taxes there's not much money to be made in it that's worth the stress tbh.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Best of luck to you!

I've been a landlord , extremely stressful all around and unless you own a portfolio between dealing with tenants , repairs and taxes there's not much money to be made in it that's worth the stress tbh.
    Surprised there is not hundreds of ppl replying as I know a lot that are getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

As a follow up to the earlier post I had quoted about the court case that the LL in Maynooth had to bring to secure an eviction I have just seen this weeks Liffey Champion newspaper headline.

"CRISIS AWAITS
    Students at Maynooth may not be able to find or pay for accommodation"

Maynooth is taking in 3225 first year students this year, its largest ever first year intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Surprised there is not hundreds of ppl replying as I know a lot that are getting out

For what it’s worth, I won’t be far behind the OP in getting out of the rental market.
    I’ve been a LL for just one year with a single property that was my own home.
    Most of the reason I even entered into this was because I was fool enough to answer the call from politicians and homeless groups, asking people not to leave their property stand idle during this crisis at the time.

In fairness I have been absolutely blessed with my two young tenants, both from a country with a respectful rent culture and they are looking after my much loved home brilliantly.

However, given the amount of crazy legislation that has come in even within the last year.
    Not to mention the anti LL venomous culture that’s developed.
    The risk is akin to putting your asset on a roulette table and hoping for the best.
    And now you’re not even allowed to ask for references?

I have every ambition of honouring my lease agreement with my two tenants but once they leave, there’s not a chance in hell I’ll be letting out my house again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a follow up to the earlier post I had quoted about the court case that the LL in Maynooth had to bring to secure an eviction I have just seen this weeks Liffey Champion newspaper headline.

"CRISIS AWAITS
    Students at Maynooth may not be able to find or pay for accommodation"

Maynooth is taking in 3225 first year students this year, its largest ever first year intake.

I live in Maynooth in an estate that had a reputation for student rentals

There are close to none now. Every rental that's gone for sale (which was about half of them) has been bought by an owner occupier. Still about 15% of the estate rented but mostly to families or adult house shares.

The student development on Leinster Street can't come soon enough.

Advertisement