Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie v Persoon scoring

Options
  • 28-06-2019 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭

Having watched the fight originally on a dodgy stream and with the influence of panicky commentators, while I didn't score it round for round, my impression was that Persoon had won.

However, a number of reputable sources had Katie winning, so I decided to watch it properly when it became available on Youtube. I just did (with the sound off) and I gave it to Katie by a point.

I scored it as follows KT 1, 3, 4, 6, 9 Persoon 5, 7, 8, 10 Round 2 even.

I'd be interested to see how other people scored it - by that, I mean an actual breakdown of what rounds you gave each, not "Persoon was robbed".

There is no doubt it was a very close fight and I can understand Persoon being unhappy, but with the benefit of a clearer, non-pausing picture, a lot of Persoon's work wasn't as effective as I originally thought.

She was incredibly tough and relentless. Like the machine in Terminator 2 her forward momentum just couldn't be stopped and as such, I repeat my original opinion that Katie fought a dumb fight tactically. Round 6 was by far her best round, simply because she hit and moved. Didn't hang around after throwing singles or twos and slipped to the side and pivotted, making the Belgian look very clumsy in the process. If they fight again that round should be the blueprint for the entire fight.

Anyway, just wondering what others think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Here are the real cards.
    Not far from your scoring.
    Personally I had Katie 5-1 up after 6 and then she won the 9th so she ended up 96-94 on my card.

D8BT8TeX4AEqI9O.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And they got it just about right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

pac_man wrote: »
    My general feeling from when I initally watched it was that Taylor was landing the cleaner stuff early on but she was getting outworked as the fight went on. It comes back to the same old arguments in term of scoring a fight.

I know going down down the ring generalship rabbithole leads to more questions than answers but I think it's particularly pertinent in this fight.

Should the amount of punches landed hold a higher weight than ring generalship( i.e to force an opponent to adopt a style of boxing at they are not particularly skillful)?

I'll have a look at the fight again when I have the chance.

If you score it round by round and then look at the judges score for each round there's not really anything where you can criticise the judging by.
    If anything the only outrageous round score was Judge B giving Persoon the 6th but maybe he felt guilty about giving Taylor all of the first 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

megadodge wrote: »

She was incredibly tough and relentless. Like the machine in Terminator 2 her forward momentum just couldn't be stopped and as such, I repeat my original opinion that Katie fought a dumb fight tactically. Round 6 was by far her best round, simply because she hit and moved. Didn't hang around after throwing singles or twos and slipped to the side and pivotted, making the Belgian look very clumsy in the process. If they fight again that round should be the blueprint for the entire fight.

Anyway, just wondering what others think.

The problem with trying to box the way she did in round 6 is she expended massive energy to do it !, Look how hard she was breathing after that round and look at how she fought in the 7th following it.
    If she had fought like that for the first 3-4 rounds in the fight, perhaps Persoon would of felt her forward pressure was having no effect, with her being clipped while only catching fresh air. Then she could of slowed the tempo, used her feet a little less and keep Person reacting to feints in a fight mostly fought at distance.
    But now she knows Taylor struggles to maintain that level of movement, she'll likely drive forward regardless of whether she can find the target or not, and eventually Taylor would have problems.

Much like how this fight had parallels to Cotto Vs Margarito I, how Taylor needs to fight is how Cotto fought the second fight. Yes use her footwork and box, but she needs to learn how to break up the tempo, kill time and slow the pace to something sustainable.
    She badly needs to learn how to clinch, she got caught a lot when she did try and tie up and clearly hasn't learned the intricacies of how to do it effectively.

I forget which hand it was now, but I do remember Persoon only seemed to land effective shots off one hand in the clinch, that's the one Taylor needs to target and tie up.
    She needs to be able to spin her in a clinch, and land as they separate. Knowing when to go for a walk, throw a few half feints if necessary to make Persoon think she's setting something up, but really she needs to find time to rest to allow her to outbox her.

The whole issue comes from Persoon's reach. In order to outbox her from range Taylor has to very quickly get her feet into range to land and back out far enough not to be countered. It's a lot of work every time she lands a shot or two.
    So being able to buy time on the inside and not get punished for it is vital.

I scored it round by round at the time and had it to Persoon 96-94 but can't remember what rounds went each way. I'll try and take a look back over the course of the week so I can get a proper breakdown of it and see if I look at the fight any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Big Ears wrote: »
    The problem with trying to box the way she did in round 6 is she expended massive energy to do it !, Look how hard she was breathing after that round and look at how she fought in the 7th following it.
    If she had fought like that for the first 3-4 rounds in the fight, perhaps Persoon would of felt her forward pressure was having no effect, with her being clipped while only catching fresh air. Then she could of slowed the tempo, used her feet a little less and keep Person reacting to feints in a fight mostly fought at distance.
    But now she knows Taylor struggles to maintain that level of movement, she'll likely drive forward regardless of whether she can find the target or not, and eventually Taylor would have problems.

Much like how this fight had parallels to Cotto Vs Margarito I, how Taylor needs to fight is how Cotto fought the second fight. Yes use her footwork and box, but she needs to learn how to break up the tempo, kill time and slow the pace to something sustainable.
    She badly needs to learn how to clinch, she got caught a lot when she did try and tie up and clearly hasn't learned the intricacies of how to do it effectively.

I forget which hand it was now, but I do remember Persoon only seemed to land effective shots off one hand in the clinch, that's the one Taylor needs to target and tie up.
    She needs to be able to spin her in a clinch, and land as they separate. Knowing when to go for a walk, throw a few half feints if necessary to make Persoon think she's setting something up, but really she needs to find time to rest to allow her to outbox her.

The whole issue comes from Persoon's reach. In order to outbox her from range Taylor has to very quickly get her feet into range to land and back out far enough not to be countered. It's a lot of work every time she lands a shot or two.
    So being able to buy time on the inside and not get punished for it is vital.

I scored it round by round at the time and had it to Persoon 96-94 but can't remember what rounds went each way. I'll try and take a look back over the course of the week so I can get a proper breakdown of it and see if I look at the fight any differently.

Excellent post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement