Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insignia brake repair

• 29-06-2019 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

So my insignias rear brake pad didn't release from the disc and has now worn down to the shoe. The shoe has apparently damaged the disc and the whole thing needs to be replaced.

I don't know much about cars at all so wondered if you guys could roughly tell me a price to fix it including labour. The price I have been quoted is (as an unexpected expense) a bitter pill to swallow. What should I pay max here? Help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Rear discs and pads shouldn't be too bad. Are they replacing caliper too due to being stuck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

mickdw wrote: »
    Rear discs and pads shouldn't be too bad. Are they replacing caliper too due to being stuck?

Yep.... Going on holidays next week so feeling quote sick about it. Went in for two new tyres and what I thought was som brake discs came out without the tyres and a huge bill (may not be huge for the parts and work required of course) that I just don't have right now.

Yep.... Going on holidays next week so feeling quote sick about it. Went in for two new tyres and what I thought was som brake discs came out without the tyres and a huge bill (may not be huge for the parts and work required of course) that I just don't have right now.

Also it is just on one side! Passenger side is grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends on brands etc
    Get some quotes from local garages and compare.

What is the quote
    Had you been driving around with severe metal on metal noise from the rear?

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    What is the quote
    Had you been driving around with severe metal on metal noise from the rear?

550 all in.

It has been squealing alright. But this happened a year ago. Same garage said it was grand then as it was just a hard compound on the pad and they replaced them.
    Of course this time it's not the same. I actually thought it was the front. And it only squealed when I braked so thought it was the same.

squealing doesn't suggest that that the pad wore down so much that it damaged the disc however a stuck caliper could very well have eaten away one side of the disc so it wouldn't be unusual to need to replace the discs.
    I don't know how much a caliper is for insignia. Ive heard of the rears giving trouble so no point in going for used caliper.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The rear calipers on the Insignia can usually be freed out quite easily.They need to be taken off and done on a bench though.

If it could be freed up then youd get pads and discs fitted in an Opel dealer for around the 250 mark.

Sign up to the Opel service club and you get up to 25% discount off parts and labour (depends on the age of the car)
    That's probably as cheap as an indy mechanic would do them for.

Advertisement