Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bun na Coille, Stepaside (Fernhill House & Gardens)

• 29-06-2019 5:27pm

Has anybody visited this now state-owned public park up in Stepaside (Google says it's in Kilgobbin)? What are your impressions of it so far?

I went looking for it a few weeks ago and saw a new, very nice, granite stone wall with Bun na Coille written on it at Belarmine roundabout so I surmise this is the new entrance. However, it is only a pedestrian entrance so where is the entrance to the car park? I couldn't find any so just drove on. It seems from below that there will be no car park until later this year, so where are people parking in June 2019?

This site is informative (updated March 2019):
    Fernhill Park & Gardens
    Phase 2 of the project will allow for vehicular access to the park (later in 2019) and a sports pavilion and sports field are also being constructed. Other design work that has begun includes an ambitious Natural Woodland Play Area, a new café in the old coach house and a 3 storey tower block which will provide toilet facilities, staff and community facilities. A roof terrace in the tower will provide a stunning view over the coast of Dublin.

This very informative Twitter feed
    from Gerard Ellis says there's a guided walk of the park tomorrow morning, Sunday 30 June, as part of DLR's Summer of Heritage programme, with people meeting at 11:30am at the Bun na Coille pedestrian entrance at Belarmine roundabout:
    This Sunday's walking tour looks at the history of the Fernhill gardens and explores some of the stories that lie behind the various garden features.
    *Meeting at 11.30am at the main entrance to Fernhill Park.

D54Rk8pW4AABKcZ?format=jpg&name=large

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's small, but incredibly beautiful - just stunning - there are trees from the 18th century! It's probably best seen in late Spring and Autumn. They've only opened a few sections so far, and there's more that will need to be opened (there's lots more unusual trees near the shortcut to the Blue Light), and I can see that they are working to clear the paths. I'm just so pleased the council managed to purchase this so cheaply.

There is no car park at the moment - it is planned for the future. Along with tea house etc. You can park in Stepaside village, it's not a long walk to reach the park.

This has some detail of the planting:
    http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/travel/attractions/gardens/fernhill.shtm

And the background
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-in-talks-to-buy-5m-fernhill-house-and-gardens-1.1916854

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

I've seen people parking at the bottom of the Burrow and thought they were overflow from the P&P, but maybe they were accessing the park from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

homer911 wrote: »
    I've seen people parking at the bottom of the Burrow and thought they were overflow from the P&P, but maybe they were accessing the park from there

Yeap I did that
    Nobody seemed to mind then day I was there last Summer but imagine they would if a load of people started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I took a trip up yesterday. Lovely spot, great amenity for area.
    Annoying that you can't do a loop at present, but it'll be something once complete!

Can see from the map here what it'll be like when done, off leash dog area, tree activity space, cafe, viewing tower, toilets, parking etc.

Grassey wrote: »
    Can see from the map here what it'll be like when done, off leash dog area, tree activity space, cafe, viewing tower, toilets, parking etc.
    Great map. FYI despite it saying "no access", the route marked as number 21 is open, and has been for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

hmmm wrote:
    Great map. FYI despite it saying "no access", the route marked as number 21 is open, and has been for years.

Had a barrier up saying no access yesterday along the straight stretch above the entry path, for both entry points. Didn't stop loads walking on around it and continuing on up.

Grassey wrote: »
    Had a barrier up saying no access yesterday along the straight stretch above the entry path, for both entry points. Didn't stop loads walking on around it and continuing on up.
    I notice they're working on rebuilding parts of the stone wall and cutting back some of the growth blocking the larger trees, which I presume is the reason for the signs. As far as I'm aware it's a right of way (don't quote me on this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

hmmm wrote: »
    I notice they're working on rebuilding parts of the stone wall and cutting back some of the growth blocking the larger trees, which I presume is the reason for the signs. As far as I'm aware it's a right of way (don't quote me on this).

It is a right of way, don't doubt yourself!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/where-s-that-1.212612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Any car parking there yet. Dont want to inconvenience and home owners by parking unofficially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭markpb

G-Man wrote: »
    Any car parking there yet. Dont want to inconvenience and home owners by parking unofficially.

It was under construction two weeks ago according to Twitter. You won’t inconvenience anyone, I think of all of Bernayne is clamp-enforced parking. You could park at Step Inn or the council carpark behind Fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

markpb wrote: »
    It was under construction two weeks ago according to Twitter. You won’t inconvenience anyone, I think of all of Bernayne is clamp-enforced parking. You could park at Step Inn or the council carpark behind Fresh.

Park up the hill off the road about.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Any update on where to park for Fernhill? Was up there today but couldn't find anywhere appropriate... Have small children so somewhere within very short walking distance is what I'm after really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

There is now a generous car park there. A coffee van fri-sun and they are building a running track.

Decent coffee

Advertisement