Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aunties and uncles

Options
  • 29-06-2019 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a quick question on a child calling an aunt by the name Aunty or not. I had been abroad for a while and recently met my new nieces. In my brother's home they called me by first name, but in their grandmother's, she insists they call me Aunty __. I'd prefer to just be called by my name, but she says it's bad manners.
    I don't know many kids or people with kids well so I'm wondering what the norm is. I remember when growing up, some school friends had aunts and uncles they referred to just by their name.
    It's not a big deal I suppose. I don't want to confuse the kids either so probably should just go along with it?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There's no norm, it's up to the kids and the parents really. My nephews and nieces don't use aunt, just my first name but they know I'm their Auntie. My partner's nephews and nieces also think of me as their auntie, so my partner's niece might say to her friend "Oh this is my auntie Neyite" but has never actually called me Auntie Neyite, just Neyite.

What will probably happen is that everywhere except Grannys you won't be called Auntie Question. Kids are fairly adaptable for example they can remember to never swear in front of their parents or grandparents but are well able to turn the air blue with their friends. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Kind of old-fashioned I think, but as Neyite says, each to their own.No Auntie___ used in our family either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

No auntie or uncle used face to face in my family,
    only when mentioning them in a conversation when they are not there

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

My sister's kids used to call me aunty Bertsmom in the early days I just told them to call me by first name and that's what they do. Was no issue at all with my sister or the kids, my man (their Gran) might still say "oh tell Aunty Bertsmom all about such and such" and that's fine too coz she's my mam and can say whatever she likes we all love her to bits anywayÃ႒°Å¸Ëœâ€š

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Wasn't a thing in our family. We never called our aunts and uncles anything other than their first name and my own nieces and nephews are the same.

And don't even get me started on friends of parents who refer to themselves as Aunt or Uncle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Never had the tradition of using titles like aunt or uncle growing up. Ours call all relatives by their name, no granny, aunt, great aunt etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ve only ever called aunts and uncles by just their name. Others that I know say Auntie ___ or Uncle ____. Either is absolutely fine. It should be what you prefer, not what their grandmother wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My kids use first names, so do my nieces and nephew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

My kids have 2 uncles and 6 aunts, they call them all by first name with the exception of my sister who somehow became known as auntie aimee. Don't know where it came from but it's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I call my aunts and uncles by their first names, and my niece and nephew call me by my first name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I grew up using aunt, for my aunties aunts. So just referred to them by their first name. Seemed to me to be a normal thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If it was me I would just roll with it to be honest, if they want to use it fine, if not, then just as fine. It would not bother me one way or the other.

Advertisement