Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Wellington boots ??

Options
  • 29-06-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi folks. Can anyone tell me which would be a good wellie for hunting, stalking. I've already good leather boots but after today's reccie getting soaked I knew I'd need a good pair of wellies for winter. Aigle, Dunlop, muck and dirt boots all have good reviews....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Richard308

Have been using Goodyear swamp. Happy with quality etc. for the cost can’t really beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have a pair of Seeland Moor Stable 18 Inch 5mm neoprene Wellingtons. Have used them rough shooting and fishing for 4-5 years and have just this year torn them badly on a fence. Very warm, reliable and snug fitting giving good support when walking about .Neoprene will keep you warm even if water gets in I can attest to that after this years hole and years of Irish waters Scuba diving in wetsuits. Altough pissing in your wetsuit on a cold dive is semi acceptable, I couldn't see it going down well at the start of a shoot if they noticed you filling your boots so to speak.

But, others will disagree while some will concur as its rather a marmite issue, - I never, ever, ever ware wellies when I'm stalking unless its purely a farm . For hills and forest I always chose a heavy boot (Meindl style) no matter what. Come rain, mud and or snow. I find them better support all round, offer protection when in and around rocks etc warm and reasonable good grips. I've crossed rivers in them up over the tops, a quick soles to Jesus position and they'll drain out and with in minutes your feet will be toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I have Aigles which have lasted over a decade but beginning to crack now.

I have replaced them with Hoggs of Fife wellies which, as far as I can see, are every bit as good and half the price. Also, the Hoggs have a Vibram sole which is a big plus. They are very comfortable and supportive but, as they are close fitting you might need to make sure you have a boot jack to get them off after a fully day in them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Richard308 wrote: »
    Have been using Goodyear swamp. Happy with quality etc. for the cost can’t really beat them.
    Are they heavy or lightweight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Dunlop all the way!! Paid around15 euro for me last pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Rosahane wrote: »
    I have Aigles which have lasted over a decade but beginning to crack now.

I have replaced them with Hoggs of Fife wellies which, as far as I can see, are every bit as good and half the price. Also, the Hoggs have a Vibram sole which is a big plus. They are very comfortable and supportive but, as they are close fitting you might need to make sure you have a boot jack to get them off after a fully day in them :)

I done exactly the same and for the price they are amazing. Just like you I find them on the narrow side around the ankles. It doesn't cause any issue when walking but I suppose the rib around the heel is there for a reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Dunlop purofoot because 130,00 farmers cant be wrongðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Decathlon have some wellies, I’ve a pair from them a year now and no complaints, I’d muck boot chore before them and the sole split on both boots,

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Hi lads. Got a pair of wellies, Goodyear 'stream' rubber neoprene lined boots. Having checked the Dunlop purofut first and aigle second, these seem to be great value but time will tell later in the year. Their more like the aigle but a quarter of the price and lighter.
    Their light, super comfortable and soles are robust. Too warm for this time of the year obviously.
    Cost £55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

I done exactly the same and for the price they are amazing. Just like you I find them on the narrow side around the ankles. It doesn't cause any issue when walking but I suppose the rib around the heel is there for a reason....

How are ye finding them now? I was looking at them, any issues since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

garyc007 wrote: »
    How are ye finding them now? I was looking at them, any issues since?

I torture test wellies, I’m in them 7 days a week on the farm and the old adage “you get what you pay for” applies here.

I’ve tried the Hoggs wellies and I wouldn’t buy another pair. They’re comfortable and the price is attractive but I had 2 pairs fail over barely 6 months. Within 6 weeks the rubber on the instep started cracking on the first pair. The dealer replaced them with another pair. This pair lasted nearly 4 months but the same thing happened with them. I didn’t get a third pair.

They’ll probably be alright for the casual infrequent wearer but the only wellie I get longevity out of are Aigles. More often than not I wear the sole thin on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Aigile are great but expensive initially and a bit heavy - I had mine for well over 12 years until they tore over the toe which I think was from hitting something sharp rather than old age - I replaced them with Percussion Solongne? which Im very happy with for e120 from a local shop - I could have got them cheaper online for about 80 pounds plus postage but was afraid of sizing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Seeland are no good, uncomfortable and soft wearing .

Advertisement