Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview issues/Virgin Media access in Externally insulated house

• 30-06-2019 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

2 queries from a very tech-ignorant person here:

My very old and frail father-in-law has a Saorview service in several rooms of his end-terrace house in Dublin 10.

It was working fine (all channels being received until late 2018) when the house had External Insulation put in (on the front and side of the house).

My FIL feels that 'some wires/cables were cut' in the course of the insulation works.

He still has his 6-odd channels in his upstairs bedroom (towards the back of the house) but only 1 (RTE 1) in his living room (which is directly underneath his bedroom).

My mother-in-law still has all the Saorview channels on her TV in both her upstairs bedroom (i.e. whose external wall received the insulation).

She also has all of them in the kitchen (a room which is on the same level as the living room) i.e. a few feet away.

My MIL has an aerial in her front bedroom; my FIL does not in his rear bedroom.

There are no aerials in the downstairs kitchen/living rooms for the respective TV.s

They are both house-bound at this point and reliant on the TV for distraction during the week.

Any ideas as to to how my FIL in particular could recover his missing channels in the living room?

Separate query:

As the External Insulation now prevents them getting the likes of Virgin Media installed (they won't drill into the wall), are there any feasible alternatives for my MIL getting access to more channels?

Thanks in advance,
    Olive K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What cables does he think were cut when the insulation was installed?
    Is there an external aerial?

RTÉ1 in the living room - RTÉ1+1, RTÉ2+1, VM3 are also carried on this frequency, are they missing also?

Basically the TVs need an aerial connected to receive the signal, would it be possible to install an aerial in the attic and connect to the various TV points?
    Might be a good idea to get a professional installer in to assess the current setup and rectify any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OliveK

Hi The Cush,

Thanks very much for that - will recommend that my In-laws get someone into check their overall TV situation.

Thanks,
    Olive

Advertisement