Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do insurance companies impose total km limits on private cars?

Options
  • 30-06-2019 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    A colleague told me that insurance companies apply a total km limit of 300,000 km on private cars and 500,000 km on light commercials and that, hidden in the insurance policy, is a requirement to tell the insurance company when you reach this total on your vehicle. Is this true? I had 326,000 on my last car before it went for scrap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Some of our work vans have upwards of 700k kms on them. No issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I know they do ask how many km's per year you use them, can't see any issue whatever mileage is on them once they have valid NCT/DOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Never heard of this but mileage you do a year yes....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've never heard of this. When you enter details for a quote you often enter a assumed mileage for the vehicle.
    But afaik there is no legal nor policy requirement to tell the company about your actual mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    A colleague told me that insurance companies apply a total km limit of 300,000 km on private cars and 500,000 km on light commercials and that, hidden in the insurance policy, is a requirement to tell the insurance company when you reach this total on your vehicle. Is this true?

No, it is not true. Challenge your colleague to download a policy document and show you where that condition is stated by any insurance company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement