Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayfever season this year

• 30-06-2019 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

My daughter suffers from hayfever from May to June. It’s always gone by Start of July. But this year our good weather came very late so wondering if it will last a bit longer for her. The itchy watery eyes bother her the most.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has been and is an appalling season for hay fever. Mine is added to by immune system damage with the CFS/ME.

Just now staying indoors unless there is a strong wind to dispel the pollen; even here right on the ocean where it is usually easier.

see met ie for scores; today is VH for much of Ireland

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/pollen

so yes, a longer season as grasses etc are flowering later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not so much a longer season, as it is a later one this year IMO.

The pollination itself will run for the same length of time but it does seem to have kicked off later than usual this year.

No doubt your daughter has developed her own coping strategies but one I've always found effective is to take any of 24hr antihistamines during the evening, an hr or 2 before bed.
    I find then that I sleep a bit easier and the mornings and day are much easier.

I didn't suffer from Hayfever until I was about 24, spent a few years outside Ireland and when I moved back it was as if every single bit of pollen suddenly became my enemy!
    I used to look like I was in a face 1st car crash.

Luckily the last couple of years I've had zero pollen response.
    I put it down to a combo of some level of tolerance returning to my system and the added effect of multiple Prednisone injections for an unrelated joint issue.

I know quite a few Hayfever sufferers who swear by a seasonal steroid shot.

What I am seeing out here ( I live on a small offshore island) is a far more intense season than usual. Maybe because of the weather delays ? Grass especially.

Unfortunately anti hists have appalling side effects with the CFS/ME so my walks are at first light.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I have my 3rd sinus infection of the year and for an added bonus an ear infection on top. This one has stemmed from hay fever. Facial pain is the worst I’ve had in a long time

Graces7 wrote: »
    What I am seeing out here ( I live on a small offshore island) is a far more intense season than usual. Maybe because of the weather delays ? Grass especially.

Unfortunately anti hists have appalling side effects with the CFS/ME so my walks are at first light.

With the late start this year it does seem that the season is a lot more concentrated.
    The late start, has meant that grass, Tree and other pollination cycles that are usually somewhat staggered are all peaking around the same time instead. So a much more "polleny" pollen season IMO.

I do feel your pain regarding side effects.
    Luckily I'm ok with Antihistamines, however I did have to soldier on for years without access to the steroid injection due to Diabetes and the effect that they tend have on glycemic control.

Somewhat luckily for me, I have fairly severe AC joint arthritis that wasn't responding to other treatments and the injections made a huge difference to my mobility, with the added benefit of knocking my Hayfever on the head.

• Advertisement

I am though enjoying the 4,30 an walks, watching the dawn in utter peace. Always some good!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

Thanks for the replies. No itchy watery eyes for her today yet as it’s raining here in the West.

disastrous morning for me and hay fever... worst it has ever been .. wondering if it is that the wind has changed to westerly and is high as then it comes in over hay fields rather than off the ocean? makes sense. am now immured.. Once did a market opposite a field of yellow rape in full toxic bloom.. this is as bad as or worse. no early walk!

taking anti hists regardless of side effects!

"This too shall pass" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I was nearly blind getting up this morning with blury itchy eyes & a fit of sneezing coming d the stairs. I struggle to sleep in the heat so windows open everywhere

mark_jmc wrote: »
    I have my 3rd sinus infection of the year and for an added bonus an ear infection on top. This one has stemmed from hay fever. Facial pain is the worst I’ve had in a long time

so sorry. I had a sinus/ facial neuralgia episode when there was thunder off the coast recently but these have been fewer since i came so close to the ocean and in a windy place! It is a dreadful, invasive pain.,. even codeine has to be in strong doses.

Originally my sinus issues were linked to damp/mould in the rental I was in. Once I left there it improved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Started for me this year in March and lasted until start of May. Then started up again mid May but have it under control with steroid nasal spray, cetirizine tablets and eye drops. For me it starts earlier each year and ends like clockwork 2nd week of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I was nearly blind getting up this morning with blury itchy eyes & a fit of sneezing coming d the stairs. I struggle to sleep in the heat so windows open everywhere

Get yourself a dehumidifier and close the windows. Literally been a life saver for me last few nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

banie01 wrote: »
    With the late start this year it does seem that the season is a lot more concentrated.
    The late start, has meant that grass, Tree and other pollination cycles that are usually somewhat staggered are all peaking around the same time instead. So a much more "polleny" pollen season IMO.

I do feel your pain regarding side effects.
    Luckily I'm ok with Antihistamines, however I did have to soldier on for years without access to the steroid injection due to Diabetes and the effect that they tend have on glycemic control.

Somewhat luckily for me, I have fairly severe AC joint arthritis that wasn't responding to other treatments and the injections made a huge difference to my mobility, with the added benefit of knocking my Hayfever on the head.

Would you mind giving me some more information on the steroid injections please. My 19 year old daughter suffers from hay fever and I’ve never heard of this.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Would you mind giving me some more information on the steroid injections please. My 19 year old daughter suffers from hay fever and I’ve never heard of this.

The usual injection used is Kenalog.
    It's a long acting corticosteroid injected into a muscle.

There are many reasons a Doctor won't give Kenalog, diabetes and any conditions that can be exacerbated by steroids in particular.

In my case, I'm diabetic so could never get my Doc to give me the shot.
    I have fairly severe arthritis in my shoulder, and I was given a couple of intra-articular Prednisone shots to alleviate a severe bout of pain in late may of 2015 and it had the happy side effect of seeing me thru the Hayfever season completely symptom free!

I've had a couple of shots since, but since 2015 the severity of my Hayfever has decreased hugely.
    Very rarely need more than a tissue and a nightly loratadine or cetirizine these days.
    That's coming from at my worse to being actually disfigured by the swelling of my eyes and nose and finding minimal relief from Antihistamines.

Thanks for that banie01. I’ll definitely get her to discuss this with our GP as she’s nut getting any relief this year.

Hi Cork lass, have you looked into immunotherapy for your daughter? That is what I’ve been doing since last year.

The air out there is thick with pollen etc; I lasted less than five minutes. Ah well; the garden is thriving..

tamara25 wrote: »
    Hi Cork lass, have you looked into immunotherapy for your daughter? That is what I’ve been doing since last year.

No, she never used to be really bad with it but the last couple of years it’s been rotten. We need to speak to the GP about an alternative to the antihistamine, eye drops etc. Can you give me some info on the immunotherapy?

My daughter was tested first by a doctor who specializes in allergies. The test identified that it was mainly grasses during summer. She gets an injection once a month (containing the grasses) & gradually over time her body gets used to the pollen & doesn’t react in the same way as before. It’s not cheap & it’s a big commitment 3-4 years but she was suffering too much & so far so good it is agreeing with her. I would highly recommend it.

tamara25 wrote: »
    My daughter was tested first by a doctor who specializes in allergies. The test identified that it was mainly grasses during summer. She gets an injection once a month (containing the grasses) & gradually over time her body gets used to the pollen & doesn’t react in the same way as before. It’s not cheap & it’s a big commitment 3-4 years but she was suffering too much & so far so good it is agreeing with her. I would highly recommend it.

Thanks Tamara25. That sounds promising- will definitely look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The last few days have been awful for pollen count.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The last few days have been awful for pollen count.

Awfully true... the grasses waded in while the flowers were late so a double whammy. Waiting to see what today brings but not a breath of wind the next days. Deep in piriton anyways as I got a nettled leg...

glorious out there so we shall keep watch.. maybe a simple surgical mask? I do have one somewhere.

I need one of these to sleep in :)

I need one of these to sleep in :)

Hmmmm.. not sure what it is!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hmmmm.. not sure what it is!

Michael Jacksons oxygen chamber. Zero pollen! :)

Michael Jacksons oxygen chamber. Zero pollen! :)

awww... Just had to come in and close all off; had a couple of hours sitting out and was fine but the hayfield across the back has ripened massively today. They should be cutting it soon... pollen counts for Connaught tomorrow are VH so will walk at first light only.

Was pn boards and started making silly typos so closing down!

"If you go out in the air today," take a gas mask..

Heavy cloud, and I was later than usual walking; all of 6 am and the air heavy in pollen and midges.... Had to take painkiller and piriton. Shudders.. Itch!

lol! Came straight home.

the rain and wind have helped hugely to disperse pollen. Today is the first day this week i have woken without a migraine type headache... Bliss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do not put clothes on the line, as it will pick up pollen.

I would highly recommend the LED devices that go in your nose too. This sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Allergy-Anti-Snore-LifeBasis-Treatment-Sinusitis/dp/B07G5VKKMZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hayfever+device&qid=1563111714&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard about or tried the new hey fever treatment? It's where you take high doses of histamine orally throughout the year. You don't react to this as it's not absorbed through the eyes or nose. Then come summer time you don't react to pollen in the air as your tolerance has increased.

I would have heard it on the Pat Kenny show Or Ciara Kelly a few months back

Advertisement