Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail + bicycles

Options
  • 30-06-2019 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

So, this is what I had to "secure" my bike to on this mornings Cork to Heuston service. Not even a bike section on-board (usually they have just 2 places anyway)

Staff: "they don't usually fall over!"

Appalling. How can we encourage cycling and mixed use sustainable transport, with this carry on?

20190630-081806.jpg

PS: yes, that's an old bike tube that's wrapped around my bike to attempt to secure it somewhat - it was left on the train...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

So, this is what I had to "secure" my bike to on this mornings Cork to Heuston service. Not even a bike section on-board (usually they have just 2 places anyway)

Appalling. How can we encourage cycling and mixed use sustainable transport, with this carry on?

20190630-081806.jpg

PS: yes, that's an old bike tube that's wrapped around my bike to attempt to secure it somewhat - it was left on the train...

Rules are, you're meant to stand beside your bike when travelling, i presume to stop it falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Somewhat related, has anyone experience of taking a bike on the DART at the weekend? Do the stations have reasonable access to get to the platform with a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Phil.x wrote: »

20190630-081806.jpg

Rules are, you're meant to stand beside your bike when travelling, i presume to stop it falling.

Not sure if you're being serious. It's a 2.5 hour journey. There should be dedicated bike racks on every train, as per their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭wijam

Somewhat related, has anyone experience of taking a bike on the DART at the weekend? Do the stations have reasonable access to get to the platform with a bike?
    Have jumped on at Connolly, Tara, Bray and Greystones, those 4 stops are ok, although when jumping off at Tara, easy way out is to carry bike down the stairs, we’ll probably because I haven’t checked other options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Unrelated to Irish Rail but years ago in the States was impressed that most city buses in Washington DC had bike racks on the front similar to the below:
    1140x480-bike-rack.jpg
    Nothing like the below in Ireland which would give better commuting options around cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

Not on intercity services, their own website states there is storage, either racks on ICRs services, or separate compartment on loco hauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've used this same carriage, I'm failing to see the issue if I'm honest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not where the storage area does not allow standing
    I've used this same carriage, I'm failing to see the issue if I'm honest
    Same here, it would be nice if they had a hook to hold the wheel but its never bothered me

CramCycle wrote: »

Same here, it would be nice if they had a hook to hold the wheel but its never bothered me

Drop bars fit in the hooks on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Agreed. The issue here is why there isn't a similar carriage for all the IE routes. Its only Dublin/ Cork and the Belfast Enterprise ( run by NI Rail ) in my experience.

I've had to stand with my bike a few times on the Sligo train because other passengers mistook the bike area as somewhere they could store oversized suitcases ( despite reserving the bike slot in advance ).

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Agreed. The issue here is why there isn't a similar carriage for all the IE routes. Its only Dublin/ Cork and the Belfast Enterprise ( run by NI Rail ) in my experience.

I've had to stand with my bike a few times on the Sligo train because other passengers mistook the bike area as somewhere they could store oversized suitcases ( despite reserving the bike slot in advance ).

Pretty much everytime unless your first on the train when heading to Sligo or Wexford.

I remove those cases and put them against the trackside door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Out of interest did you book a bike place with your ticket. What annoys me is when you go to the bother of booking a bike on and then the rack being rammed with bikes when you get on the train. I won;t even mention having to ask people to get out of your reserved seat.

The whole system is a farce to be honest and it wouldn't take a whole lot to fix it.

I didn't think you were allowed to bring bikes on the dart. Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

certain stations have a disabled access barrier , maybe their website would give details, that would make accessible for a bike

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I didn't think you were allowed to bring bikes on the dart. Are you?

You are out of rush hour times, its quite handy if you don't trust your local station to lock it up in or nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unrelated to Irish Rail but years ago in the States was impressed that most city buses in Washington DC had bike racks on the front similar to the below:
    1140x480-bike-rack.jpg
    Nothing like the below in Ireland which would give better commuting options around cities.

Not very pedestrian or cyclist friendly thought, better not to have metal bars sticking out the front of vehicles.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not very pedestrian or cyclist friendly thought, better not to have metal bars sticking out the front of vehicles.

Only really unfriendly if you tail gate cyclists or drive to close to junctions, I seen them in California and while use was minimal, it was still handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only really unfriendly if you tail gate cyclists or drive to close to junctions, I seen them in California and while use was minimal, it was still handy.

We've designed vehicles to reduce the risk of injury to vulnerable road users if they hit them, sticking a big lump of metal to the vehicle makes it dangerous.

Del2005 wrote: »
    We've designed vehicles to reduce the risk of injury to vulnerable road users if they hit them, sticking a big lump of metal to the vehicle makes it dangerous.

I can assure you that the vehicles that have these attached too were not designed in this way. I wouldn't be surprised if you looked at their shape, and intended speed, they would be safer than getting hit full on with the front of the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Just stand it upside down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You are out of rush hour times, its quite handy if you don't trust your local station to lock it up in or nearby.

Still plenty of people bringing bikes on during rush hour which is really annoying.

Effects wrote: »
    Still plenty of people bringing bikes on during rush hour which is really annoying.

Depends on the station, many will stop you going through, it maybe annoying but it also advertises that at peak times we are really under serviced with many commuter trains being like sardine tins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just stand it upside down.

I'd think it would be more unstable then. I've never had an issue with a bike falling over on one of those carriages unless someone knocked it

Yeah, I've noticed it a few times but it was a struggle to get off at my station one day during rush hour. People couldn't move out of the way as easily as there was a bike crammed into the carriage as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>

This drives me mad. I get the Sligo train a lot, and people just wallop massive bags and luggage in on top of my bike - that's if there aren't bags there already. And the indignation when you have to move it all out to get the bike into the only place you can store it on the train :rolleyes:

I went to London by bike a few years back, rail and sail. On the return journey I'd a few changes and one of the trains had seats that folded up to make room for bikes. The conductor asked two people to get up from a seat to make room for my bike. They didn't look happy at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was down in Mayo with the bike over the weekend taking the train for Huston to Claremorris and back. Booked a bike space and seat close by for both legs. On the way down the bike coach wasn't the one listed on the web site and was full of luggage which the Irish Rail guy told people to move for the bike which was grand. On the way back the bike spaces were full so ended up leaving the bike in the corridor at the top of the train and got a seat near enough to to keep an eye on it, so also grand. Main issue I'd have is the booking web site is a work of fantasy when it comes to bikes. The staff on the ground seem good though and seem keen to get you and the bike to the far end. I reckon the trick is to travel off peak where possible. Also only two legit bike spaces per train is a joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

smacl wrote: »
    Was down in Mayo with the bike over the weekend taking the train for Huston to Claremorris and back. Booked a bike space and seat close by for both legs. On the way down the bike coach wasn't the one listed on the web site and was full of luggage which the Irish Rail guy told people to move for the bike which was grand. On the way back the bike spaces were full so ended up leaving the bike in the corridor at the top of the train and got a seat near enough to to keep an eye on it, so also grand. Main issue I'd have is the booking web site is a work of fantasy when it comes to bikes. The staff on the ground seem good though and seem keen to get you and the bike to the far end. I reckon the trick is to travel off peak where possible. Also only two legit bike spaces per train is a joke.

With some careful placement, those racks can fit 5 bikes. You kind of need to be all travelling together though and getting off at the same stop

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    With some careful placement, those racks can fit 5 bikes. You kind of need to be all travelling together though and getting off at the same stop

I'd guess that would work if you were getting on at the terminus but would be fun and games getting on at a smaller stop. Even today, getting on to the bike carriage at Claremorris to find it full and having to get off and leg it to another carriage with a loaded bike was rushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Saw that last year in Ottawa, Canada ....very simple and impressive

Advertisement