Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice, please

Options
  • 30-06-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new home and it comes with a standard, relatively small plot out the back, and I am looking for some advice on what to the about the lawn. As you can see in the pictures, it is composed of a lot of small to large stone and sand (from the construction).

483995.jpg

483996.jpg

My initial thoughts are to dig up the lawn, going down about one to two inches and sieve out most of the stone. Then put down good, screened, top soil to level out. After letting it settle, plant new grass seed. I would hope this would give the lawn a nice soft feel under your feet when walking on it (ideally for young children).

Would I be filtering too deep and would this have an affect on drainage? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would help to have a pic from further back so the extent of the growth/non-growth can be seen. You seem to have some potentially decent grass there, with patches of nothing.

If you have decent amounts of grass I would be inclined to rake off/pick off the bigger stones, mix in some decent top soil on the bald bits and reseed. If the whole area is not level, has a lot of stones or the grass is just small patches then you might have to do a more thorough job. Its quite likely that the sand is just in one patch where it was dumped and you might be able to shovel it off, remove most of it and replace with decent soil. Some sand and some small stones are fine. It is not necessary or even a good idea to sieve the soil - you will end up with a fine powder that will be mud or set solid depending on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

looksee wrote: »
    It would help to have a pic from further back so the extent of the growth/non-growth can be seen. You seem to have some potentially decent grass there, with patches of nothing.

If you have decent amounts of grass I would be inclined to rake off/pick off the bigger stones, mix in some decent top soil on the bald bits and reseed. If the whole area is not level, has a lot of stones or the grass is just small patches then you might have to do a more thorough job. Its quite likely that the sand is just in one patch where it was dumped and you might be able to shovel it off, remove most of it and replace with decent soil. Some sand and some small stones are fine. It is not necessary or even a good idea to sieve the soil - you will end up with a fine powder that will be mud or set solid depending on the weather.

Thanks for your reply. Here is a picture of the full plot.

483999.jpg

Advertisement