Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen with flashing cursor when installing fresh Win 7/10

Options
  • 30-06-2019 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi

I have a Dell XPS 17 L702X currently running on Linux Mint. Recently I upgraded the HDD to SSD and wanted to do a fresh install of Win 7 or 10 via USB thumb drive.

Installations of both went well without any issue but when I had to reboot the machine from the SSD (after removing the USB thumb drive, and setting up properly the booting order on BIOS obviously) I have a black screen with just a flashing led on the top left.

I thoguth it may have been an issue with Windows 10, so I did I reied with Windows 7 (which was originally running on this machine) and had the same result.

I tried to create different USB bootable thumb drive with different ISO but I had the same issue.

I tried to install the OS on another HDD and I have the black screen there also.

I tried with other Linux distros and I can install any of them work without an problem.

Help hanyone?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vikkthor

Found the solution: I had to remove the HDD otherwise the booter will install on the HDD instead of the SSD for whatever reason (this seams an issue with Windows OS).

Advertisement