Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

• 30-06-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am planning on going traveling for a few months which is going to require me to leave my job and all the benefits that come with that (i.e. health insurance). I would like to keep my health insurance running while I'm away to avoid the whole waiting period (for any new illness) if anything was to happen to me.

I am looking through www.hia.ie but I am bit confused with all the plans never mind should I go for Health Insurance, Cash Plan or Out Patient Only.

I would have liked to have a pay monthly plan but it seems I can only get a 12 month cover if I'm not mistaken?

I'm 30 with no depends so I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's no waiting period in the case of a 'new illness', only for 'pre-existing conditions'. And the loading which punishes people for arriving late to the party only cuts in when you are 34 or older so you could drop your insurance for the few months you will be away and there won't be any additional costs if you start a new policy when you return.

Be sure to bring your EHIC card when travelling. And remember that some travel insurance policies assume that you have a medical policy in your home country which covers a certain level of medical costs when abroad so (if you drop your Irish medical policy) be sure to take out a standalone travel policy which will cover all of the costs if you need treatment abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

This is not cheap and cheerful, though consider this too:
    https://www.vhi.ie/travel-insurance/international

This is what my wife and I got while travelling in 2007. It was perfect for all of Europe and Asia and we needed it in Vietnam. Also useful in Australia and New Zealand. We had to get supplemental insurance when we went to the USA though.

It allowed us to keep our insurance alive, active and still beneficial to us. If you drop plans too much it'll take you a couple of years to build up the benefits again when you come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cookie1977 wrote: »
    It allowed us to keep our insurance alive, active and still beneficial to us. If you drop plans too much it'll take you a couple of years to build up the benefits again when you come back.

+1 fair point.

If you take out a medical insurance policy which has some benefits over and above the ones that were in your most recent policy, there is often a waiting period before you can claim the additional benefits. It's to discourage people from signing up for policies with goodies like cover for laser eye surgery, claiming that benefit and then downgrading to the previous level of benefits.

Advertisement