Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollover crates

• 30-06-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here have one?
    If so what is there to look out for in terms of pros and cons between each type?
    Which is the best type?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Anyone on here have one?
    If so what is there to look out for in terms of pros and cons between each type?
    Which is the best type?

I had one form cormac and one from o donnell eng........ended up getting rid of each and went with IAE crate, they are the best by a long way!

I dont know if i was doing it again would i buy one though....your looking ta approx €900 which would buy a lot of hurdles or fencing etc

The issue is how often will you use it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not for me. Was just chatting with someone who was having difficulty trimming feet and dagging as their back was banjaxed.

What makes the IAE one so good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Not for me. Was just chatting with someone who was having difficulty trimming feet and dagging as their back was banjaxed.

Stanleys do a clamp style. DoneDeal is full of Cormac and others in as new condition, no need to comment any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    I had one form cormac and one from o donnell eng........ended up getting rid of each and went with IAE crate, they are the best by a long way!

I dont know if i was doing it again would i buy one though....your looking ta approx €900 which would buy a lot of hurdles or fencing etc

The issue is how often will you use it ?

I might do one or two rams every year and that's all it's used for, paring sheeps feet isn't recommended now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If a ewes feet need fixing, might be a reason to cull and replace with one that doesn’t. No need for turnover crate then

• Advertisement

If a ewes feet need fixing, might be a reason to cull and replace with one that doesn’t. No need for turnover crate then

Might only be scalds, it's when its not attended to that they can't walk on it and the hoof grows from lack of use.
    We've a texel and a vendeen ram here and even without being lame the feet grow excessively, They're the only sheep we pare, also have a vendeen and a LLeyn ram that we never have to touch

The IAE one is better due to simple design, the other two tired to copy it but couldnt exactly so its done worse !

the IAE one has no parts that can ware or break, its just very very simple !

where are you based ?

The IAE one is better due to simple design, the other two tired to copy it but couldnt exactly so its done worse !

the IAE one has no parts that can ware or break, its just very very simple !

where are you based ?

You have to lift the whole weight of the sheep in the cormac crate when you're putting her back on her feet...really wrecks ya
    You just have to spin them with the IAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNRGGI7ITE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    You have to lift the whole weight of the sheep when you're putting her back on her feet...really wrecks ya
    You just have to spin them with the IAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNRGGI7ITE

What’s its like for dagging?

razor8 wrote: »

Made a mistake in my post there, we've a cormac here, it wrecks ya to lift the ewe back on her feet
    IAE looks easy there, don't know about dagging, we bought a rechargeable shears last year, it's easy enough do them in the race with that or even jam them against a wall

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »

Not simple as the ewe can kick like hell with her back legs...also its hard to dag up around the tail head as all her weight is on it !

I presume the ones that turns on its own axis makes dagging more difficult if not impossible?

Also, have you any knowledge of the W M Ironworks crate?

This one looks to be the mutts nuts:

I presume the ones that turns on its own axis makes dagging more difficult if not impossible?

Also, have you any knowledge of the W M Ironworks crate?

This one looks to be the mutts nuts:

Appologies, I have just realised mine is actually an Iron works one ! it was sold to me as IAE but after a bit of research its actually Iron work...yes its as good a design, if your ever up around my way call in and judge for yourself !

Appologies, I have just realised mine is actually an Iron works one ! it was sold to me as IAE but after a bit of research its actually Iron work...yes its as good a design, if your ever up around my way call in and judge for yourself !

Really looks the part for dagging anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

https://connachtagri.ie/product/sheepvet-turnover-crate/

This is the one we have had for 12years and it’s still as good as new, very well made. Doesn’t get as much use now though, we stopped trimming ewes, just tidy up feet on 40-50rams before sales and turnover a few ewes with scalds to spray them. The steep that allows the crate to pivot away from the race makes a real difference to other crates imo. Having said all that I wouldn’t buy another one as foot trimming should become a thing of the past 🀞🀞🀞

Thats a great looking machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

https://connachtagri.ie/product/sheepvet-turnover-crate/

This is the one we have had for 12years and it’s still as good as new, very well made. Doesn’t get as much use now though, we stopped trimming ewes, just tidy up feet on 40-50rams before sales and turnover a few ewes with scalds to spray them. The steep that allows the crate to pivot away from the race makes a real difference to other crates imo. Having said all that I wouldn’t buy another one as foot trimming should become a thing of the past 🀞🀞🀞

Is that head clamp a seperate piece that can be bought??

Its in middle pic and not in any other

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

_blaaz wrote: »
    Is that head clamp a seperate piece that can be bought??

Its in middle pic and not in any other

Not sure, it’s on ours and it’s great, keeps the sheep held till you can close in the side, then I step on the thing to rotate the crate out from the race and the sheep looses its feet so it’s easier to roll them

Advertisement