Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spins near Schull, West Cork

Options
  • 30-06-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any must-do spin ideas around the Schull area of West Cork. Heading down there. Happy to read maps and work it out myself but if there are routes that people would recommend I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

I am not involved with bike activities but if you google "Mizen Loopers" you might find info.Paudie O Donovan writes for the Southern Star he advises on fitness and cycling etc might be worth contacting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Head west all the way to Mizen on the coast road, popping over to Crookhaven on the way. When you're coming back in from Mizen, turn left just after the causeway in Barleycove. It takes you east along the north side of the peninsula. Stunning road, with zero traffic. At the end of this road, head left towards Durrus. Take a right at Dunbeacon to bring you back to Schull.
    If you fancy a longer ride, head to Durrus, then out along Sheeps Head to Kilcrohane. From here you can head out towards the end of the head for coffee in the little cafe. Or you can turn right at Kilcrohane which takes you up the Goat's Path road, along the north side of Sheeps Head. Stunning views again.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Mount Gabriel if you want a tasty climb

https://www.strava.com/segments/678891

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Hard to beat the advice given above.

If you do make it to Crookhaven make sure to do the steep climb up the dead end road. Take a left just as you come back out of the village.

484028.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If at weekend during summer in particular I'd avoid regional road which follows peninsula.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23791568

This is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks all, great looking advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

outfox wrote: »
    Head west all the way to Mizen on the coast road, popping over to Crookhaven on the way. When you're coming back in from Mizen, turn left just after the causeway in Barleycove. It takes you east along the north side of the peninsula. Stunning road, with zero traffic. At the end of this road, head left towards Durrus. Take a right at Dunbeacon to bring you back to Schull.
    If you fancy a longer ride, head to Durrus, then out along Sheeps Head to Kilcrohane. From here you can head out towards the end of the head for coffee in the little cafe. Or you can turn right at Kilcrohane which takes you up the Goat's Path road, along the north side of Sheeps Head. Stunning views again.

Probably my favourite roads in Ireland (on a good day!) One of the great things about that road on the north of the Mizen peninsula is the fact that it's not on the WAW and is generally very quiet. Scenery like that lifts the spirit and strengthens the legs.

Yeah, that road along the north side of Mizen Head must be one of the nicest in the country.

Is it better in one direction than the other? The way it is outlined is coming from Schull to Mizen and then north/east. Wonder is that the best direction to do it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The few times I've done it, it's always been West to East. Now that you mention it, I'm looking forward to doing it in reverse :)

• Advertisement

I may have to do it in both directions, to be sure to be sure.

My personal preference is from E to W, as I like the long freewheel towards Barlecove. But it doesn't matter really, as you have a gentle climb regardless of which direction you do it.
    Just bear in mind that the coast around here is ALL hills, so you'll be climbing at some stage. But most of them are short. Bring a rain jacket or gilet too, as the weather can change. Fatter tyres are better, as Cork CoCo are overly fond of tar and chip.
    If you decide to go up to Sheep's Head, I don't think there are any coffee stops in Kilcrohane, and the Goat's Path road from Kilcrohane to Bantry has nothing either. Stops around here are Bantry, Ahakista, Durrus, and the Sheep's Head tip. Make sure you call in to the tin shed bar in Ahakista, near Graham Norton's place.
    Coffee stops on Mizen Head are at Barleycove, Goleen, Schull, Ballydehob, Durrus and the headland tip itself. And Crookhaven I think, although it's many years since I was there (it's on a cul de sac).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

outfox wrote: »
    If you decide to go up to Sheep's Head, I don't think there are any coffee stops in Kilcrohane, and the Goat's Path road from Kilcrohane to Bantry has nothing either.

There's a coffee shop/restaurant in Kilcrohane, the Creamery or something, just at the bridge as you go in to the village. Was in there a couple of weeks ago.

Agree on the north Mizen peninsula, I had a glorious spin out there last summer

There's a coffee shop/restaurant in Kilcrohane, the Creamery or something, just at the bridge as you go in to the village. Was in there a couple of weeks ago.

Excellent! Must check it out.

Advertisement