Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Monthly Costs to Mortgage

Options
  • 30-06-2019 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking to check what the additional costs other than a mortgage on say 300k house.

Such as bins, mortgage protection, life assurance etc.

As a ballpark, if the mortgage was 1000, what would the additional payments be 100/200 etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Very ballpark!

Mortgage Protection: 40/month
    Bins: 20/month
    House insurance: 40/month
    Local Property Tax: 50/month
    + electricity
    + oil or gas
    + general maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

+ Management fees if you're buying into a MUD.

My MUD allow for quarterly payments, but some want them annually, but you'd need to factor it into your calculations regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Save something each month for surprise maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Save something each month for surprise maintenance.

+1 to this.

People often say that a mortgage is cheaper than rent, and from a headline rate it may well be, but if the boiler goes, or you have a leak.... the list is endless but basically its very wise to build up a little slush fund for house maintenance. If you don't end up using it, at least you have some savings that could be then put towards home improvements or proactive maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

These are the fixed costs I have:
    Electricity
    Phone/Internet
    Management fees
    Water
    Heating
    Bins
    TV License
    Property tax
    Life insurance
    Property insurance
    Contents insurance
    Annual ventilation and Heating service

All the above cost me €554 a month here in Germany, Ireland is probably a little cheaper. You wouldn't have water charges and property tax is very low in Ireland.

Then you would need extra for general maintenance of the house, for looking after the garden (fertiliser, weed killer, seeding, shrubs, flowers, etc), etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement