Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR to replace light switch -- two way

Options
  • 30-06-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across a two way PIR light switch replacement?

I have a hallway with a light switch at both end and would like to replace both switches with PIR's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

buzz11 wrote: »

I have a hallway with a light switch at both end and would like to replace both switches with PIR's.

If more than one PIR is actually required, what you do is wire the PIRs in a parallel arrangement, so if either or both are activated, the light comes on, and stays on for a time.

Wiring them as 2 way would be pointless, as the second one activated would turn off the light if the first one has it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Where to you plan on mounting the PIR? Ceiling / Wall etc??

If the PIR is switch mounted i would un-wire the other switch, so the live is just passing through that location.

Your other option is to go for something like the Philips Hue / Ikea set up, these have PIR sensors which you can put up in the corner of a hall. Just then ensure there's power going to the smart bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭buzz11

Where to you plan on mounting the PIR? Ceiling / Wall etc??

If the PIR is switch mounted i would un-wire the other switch, so the live is just passing through that location.

Your other option is to go for something like the Philips Hue / Ikea set up, these have PIR sensors which you can put up in the corner of a hall. Just then ensure there's power going to the smart bulb.

I plan to wall mount them in place of existing on/off switch.

If I unwire one of the switches then I don't have PIR coverage at both ends of the hallway which is not great because a person would need to walk halfway down the hall before the PIR activates.

I was hoping to have a PIR at both ends in place of existing wall switches

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I plan to wall mount them in place of existing on/off switch.

Generally speaking light switches don’t have neutrals wired to them and PIRs generally require a neutral. Apart from that it would look very odd.

DublinDilbert’s solution is the best IMHO. Cost effective, simple, requires no additional cabling and flexible. It will also allow for any number of PIRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As suggested above you can always wire the output from 2 PIRs in parallel, but you will need a neutral at each ligth switch as per 2011. If your doing this you will need to just use one of the two strapper wires running between the switches, to take the live from PIR 1 to PIR2 and the wire feeding the ceiling rose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Two hard wired PIR`s would require their L in and L out terminals linked, with L out connecting on to the ceiling rose, so both strappers would be used if somehow fitting the PIRs in place of the 2 way switches, with original L supply into 2 way connected to first PIR L in, and linking to second PIR L in.

Then first PIR would have its L out terminal connected to the second PIR L out terminal, and this then connected to the original sw to ceiling rose. Neutrals needed also as said.

Advertisement