Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsible for paying common area maintenance costs

Options
  • 30-06-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Renting a semi-d house in small housing estate with large green area. All houses are expected to contribute to pay someone to cut grass etc. I've been paying this, but neighbours have said that it's the house owners responsibility to pay for it. I don't mind paying and will continue to but just wondering legally is the landlord responsible for paying it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Depends what your lease says. Usually it is the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Renting a semi-d house in small housing estate with large green area. All houses are expected to contribute to pay someone to cut grass etc. I've been paying this, but neighbours have said that it's the house owners responsibility to pay for it. I don't mind paying and will continue to but just wondering legally is the landlord responsible for paying it?

Is in MUD with a Management company and agent or a residents association that has hired a landscaping company? If it's a MUD then it's the landlord's responsibility if it's a residents association then you can pay if you want, it's nothing to do with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

As above poster says if it’s a multi unit development with an owners management company there is usually a service charge agreed at the agm that covers all expenses of the common areas and this is levied on the owner.

However if it’s simply housing estate and residents have informally grouped together to chip in for likes of cutting grass on the shared green space then it would relate to who ever lives there. Do you have a garden at front or back of house? Sakes rule applies.Who takes care of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

It doesn't say anything in the lease. Yes have front and back garden, I take care of this. Every other house in estate is owner occupied. Maintenance of green was organised by residents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If the neighbours are getting involved, it is more likely some sort of residents association thing rather than a formal agreement.

If that is the case there is every chance nobody is obligated to pay (including you/landlord) but most occupiers would contribute for the sake of good neighbourliness, a quiet life, and to keep the estate where you live looking presentable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Thanks that's pretty much what I was thinking too

Advertisement