Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - haggling a better rate.

• 30-06-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Hi. We are with Aib & currently on 2.95% variable rate. I see Aib fixed rate is now 2.85% for 3 years & was wondering has anyone asked and got a better rate to match a competitor?

Ulster Bank are offering very good rates but their variable rates aren't great after fixed rate ends.

I've never switched so am clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

There is no haggling regarding mortgage rates as far as I am aware however you can get a better Loan to Value rate depending on the valuation of your property. This may incur a valuation fee.

AIB has the lowest variable rates in the country and you can fix up to five years at 2.85%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Trish56 wrote: »
    There is no haggling regarding mortgage rates as far as I am aware however you can get a better Loan to Value rate depending on the valuation of your property. This may incur a valuation fee.

AIB has the lowest variable rates in the country and you can fix up to five years at 2.85%.

I went fixed there with BOI last year. I wanted fixed for 10 years and was initially offered 3.5%. That went initially down to 3.3 with some quick phone chat and then some further haggling I got them to 3.2% on a LTV of 80%. They would budge no further but I was happy with that.

Advertisement