Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you go for lunch in work! :) what are you having today

• 01-07-2019 7:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭

Where do you go for lunch in work?! :)

Do you bring to work and eat at your desk?

I think I will go to fallon and byrne today.

It brightens up a dreary monday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Work from home, so... the kitchen!

Might make it far as the local bakery, but it'll be a take-home if I do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Mocha Beans, The Helm, The Creel or Chilies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You should try it will break up the day for you!

Must be tough to work at home and feel you are always working!

Peatys wrote: »
    Mocha Beans, The Helm, The Creel or Chilies.

I will do an inter-county tour of lunches :)

Mocha Beans looks nice :)

Why assume the day feels long or that one would feel they are always working? Silly comment.

OT, I eat wherever is convenient when it’s lunchtime. Home, canteen, restaurant or a sandwich in the car.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Why assume the day feels long or that one would feel they are always working? Silly comment.

OT, I eat wherever is convenient when it’s lunchtime. Home, canteen, restaurant or a sandwich in the car.

I know people who work from home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have lunch in my car, and virtually always Marmite sandwiches.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Have lunch in my car, and virtually always Marmite sandwiches.

What is with people eating in their cars :p ? They don't let you eat at the desk or you don't like your colleagues??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Lovely fish stew there ready to heat up in the tea room at lunchtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Silly comment? It’s not an unreasonable assumption given that it’s a fairly common complaint of people who work from home, such as myself. That’s why sometimes I’ll work from home, sometimes I’ll head into the office, depends on my mood or if I have reason either to work from home or the office.

As far as lunch goes, when I’m working from home, for lunch I might head out to get something to eat in a restaurant, or I might cook myself something. If I’m in the office I might buy lunch in Tesco or a roll and coffee in Centra. We have a kitchen in the office and some people bring in their own food, make themselves breakfast or lunch. I’d see them and think to myself I must start doing that (some of them are into batch cooking for the week), but then I’ve forgotten about the idea five minutes later :o

• Advertisement

marketty wrote: »
    Lovely fish stew there ready to heat up in the tea room at lunchtime

My mother makes a wonderful fish stew. She loves it. She uses the best salmon!

She makes good chowder too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What is with people eating in their cars :p ? They don't let you eat at the desk or you don't like your colleagues??

Or maybe, some people just happen to drive for a living.

Silly comment? It’s not an unreasonable assumption given that it’s a fairly common complaint of people who work from home, such as myself. That’s why sometimes I’ll work from home, sometimes I’ll head into the office, depends on my mood or if I have reason either to work from home or the office.

As far as lunch goes, when I’m working from home, for lunch I might head out to get something to eat in a restaurant, or I might cook myself something. If I’m in the office I might buy lunch in Tesco or a roll and coffee in Centra. We have a kitchen in the office and some people bring in their own food, make themselves breakfast or lunch. I’d see them and think to myself I must start doing that (some of them are into batch cooking for the week), but then I’ve forgotten about the idea five minutes later :o

Little breaks out seem like the biggest treats to the working from home crowd. A change is as good as a rest. Well almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

There's nowhere in my office to eat lunch except at the desk, which I dislike, so sometimes I take my sandwich and go to the car, put on the radio, let the seat back and take a breather from the claustrophobic cramped packed office! Its a small office with too many people

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or maybe, some people just happen to drive for a living.

Ah ha! Light Bulb moment!

I know people who work from home ;)

I worked from home for years. Even now I spend 80% of my working hours here. I’ve never felt like I was ‘always working’ or that the day needed to be broken up by going out for lunch.

Just a silly assumption to be making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Quick tuna sangwidge in the canteen. Will be on 4 or 5 WebEx calls most of the day, free sometime around 12:00 I believe.

I worked from home for years. Even now I spend 80% of my working hours here. I’ve never felt like I was ‘always working’ or that the day needed to be broken up by going out for lunch.

Just a silly assumption to be making.

Why make such a big deal out of it?

Also maybe you don't work as hard as others.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Downstairs in Dunnes St Stephen's Green 3-4 times a week, loads of choice (healthy and not so healthy!) plus ok price wise given it's city centre.

I’m not making a big deal out of it at all. Some people have discipline when it comes to working from home and some don’t. If someone needs to break up their day or feel like they’re always working, they should get a different job. Going out for their lunch isn’t a fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Have boring soup and spelt brown bread....trying to undo all the crap I had at the weekend.

Also maybe you don't work as hard as others.

In all fairness, you seem to spend most of your day reading and posting on boards, so I think you’d want to look at how hard you work first off before you think of making any more throwaway comments in my direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ah ha! Light Bulb moment!

Nope. I just happen to drive for a living!

I’m not making a big deal out of it at all. Some people have discipline when it comes to working from home and some don’t. If someone needs to break up their day or feel like they’re always working, they should get a different job. Going out for their lunch isn’t a fix.

Some people work harder than others.
    Some people are just very conscientious.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nope. I just happen to drive for a living!

It was for me though! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Pasta pesto and salad.

I eat it at my desk, canteen is usually too noisy at that time and I don't want to wait until it quietens down as I leave about 2 hours later.

In all fairness, you seem to spend most of your day reading and posting on boards, so I think you’d want to look at how hard you work first off before you think of making any more throwaway comments in my direction.

Good lord someone is grumpy today.

You have done nothing but troll and been unpleasant in a rather inane thread.

No one works harder than me. I can guarantee you.

Just because i caught you out you want an emotional reaction. :rolleyes:

I think its called trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

When I worked in the city center I was probably spending 30-40 quid a week on brekkie and lunch.

Now I drive and bring it in every day instead and I'm saving a fortune. Plus it's way better for you than a 5 quid chicken fillet roll.

Cina wrote: »
    When I worked in the city center I was probably spending 30-40 quid a week on brekkie and lunch.

Now I drive and bring it in every day instead and I'm saving a fortune. Plus it's way better for you than a 5 quid chicken fillet roll.

That's disciplined.

I kind of feel like I deserve my treats. I do keep it healthy though ;).

• Advertisement

Some people work harder than others.
    Some people are just very conscientious.

Some people work when they’re supposed to work
    Some people post inane crap on the internet instead
    Some people go put for lunch
    Some people don’t
    Some people grew up
    Some people think they did but still complain about mean people

It takes all sorts but just because you work from home doesn’t mean you can’t separate work and personal time. We’re not all undisciplined and incapable of focusing on the time of day and activity we’ve to complete. Work time is work time, lunch time is my time. Whether I have lunch at my kitchen table or my home office desk, no work will be done during that time. And no personal stuff will be done during work time either.

I go out for lunch when I’d like to, not because I need it because I need to break up a day or escape from home because I feel like I’m always working.

Today I’ll have a chicken sandwich with bacon and cheese. Probably sitting in the sun on the patio.

Some people work when they’re supposed to work
    Some people post inane crap on the internet instead
    Some people go put for lunch
    Some people don’t
    Some people grew up
    Some people think they did but still complain about mean people

It takes all sorts but just because you work from home doesn’t mean you can’t separate work and personal time. We’re not all undisciplined and incapable of focusing on the time of day and activity we’ve to complete. Work time is work time, lunch time is my time. Whether I have lunch at my kitchen table or my home office desk, no work will be done during that time. And no personal stuff will be done during work time either.

I go out for lunch when I’d like to, not because I need it because I need to break up a day or escape from home because I feel like I’m always working.

Today I’ll have a chicken sandwich with bacon and cheese. Probably sitting in the sun on the patio.

Nice to have that much freedom!

Unfortunately for most of us that is not an option and we are stuck with 40 mins twice or three times a week to go out and be stuck working during lunch the rest of the time!

Its Monday and wed for me most weeks and i look forward to it. And it does break up my day. It makes me feel i haven't lived in work.

Good lord someone is grumpy today.

You have done nothing but troll and been unpleasant in a rather inane thread.

No one works harder than me. I can guarantee you.

Just because i caught you out you want an emotional reaction. :rolleyes:

I think its called trolling.

I think you just don’t like being pulled up on a false assumption you made about people who work from home.

So after a few passive aggressive comments from you and a few stiff corrections from me, now we’re on to the usual ‘he’s being mean to me’ guff.

Trolling? Give it a rest.

I think you just don’t like being pulled up on a false assumption you made about people who work from home.

So after a few passive aggressive comments from you and a few stiff corrections from me, now we’re on to the usual ‘he’s being mean to me’ guff.

Trolling? Give it a rest.

:confused:

Wow its just a thread about lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

That's disciplined.

I kind of feel like I deserve my treats. I do keep it healthy though ;).

I guess it helps that I'm out in Blanch where there's not much around me, but I do still get a nice lunch or treat the odd day. Can't deny yourself all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

:confused:

Wow its just a thread about lunch!

Can you pass me the salt please ?

• Advertisement

Nice to have that much freedom!

Unfortunately for most of us that is not an option and we are stuck with 40 mins twice or three times a week to go out and be stuck working during lunch the rest of the time!

Its Monday and wed for me most weeks and i look forward to it. And it does break up my day. It makes me feel i haven't lived in work.

Freedom? To have your lunch?

It’s your right, protected under employment laws. But I get it - It supports the victim complex generally, right?

Most people get to take their lunch break each day. In many cases the ones who work through theirs choose to do so because they need to catch up, want to leave early or think they’ll earn some brownie points.

But you can take your lunch if you want. Or be some kind of a semi-starved martyr.

Freedom? To have your lunch?

It’s your right, protected under employment laws. But I get it - It supports the victim complex generally, right?

Most people get to take their lunch break each day. In many cases the ones who work through theirs choose to do so because they need to catch up, want to leave early or think they’ll earn some brownie points.

But you can take your lunch if you want. Or be some kind of a semi-starved martyr.

It's just the way the world works. The higher you go the less time you have usually.

I think you are taking this thread a little too seriously.

Hey you can post pics of your lunch if you can guys. I will try to if i can. :p

See ya laters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Just back from two weeks in the west where i overdid it on beer, wine, jersey creams, fish and chips, 99s, fry ups and brown bread.

I'll be having salad and soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Jaysus. I guess it is true that literally any subject or topic known to man will start a fight on the internet. This thread is about lunch break's for feck sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Autecher wrote: »
    Jaysus. I guess it is true that literally any subject or topic known to man will start a fight on the internet. It's about lunch break's for feck sake!

and it's also very very close to being closed...

MOD: Keep it lighthearted, or lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Jayzeus, maybe this isnt the thread for you. Op asked a fine question and has answered responses in good faith. Either take it handy with the sniping and become more light hearted, or dont post in here again.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not at all... No commute, no idiot co-workers, my own music, unlimited coffee breaks - some days I stunt even get dressed until about 2...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Not at all... No commute, no idiot co-workers, my own music, unlimited coffee breaks - some days I stunt even get dressed until about 2...
    :(

*sniff* am happy for you *sniff sniff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

This got a bit mad :eek: I cycle home for lunch, 15 mins there and 15 back, 1 hour lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I like to sit in my car, have the window down, listen to the birds etc. and just escape the stress for a little while. That, and I'm also anti social.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When working from home, pop into the kitchen and make soup and sandwich. Then go for a 25 min walk in the park to clear my head.

It’s very tempting when you’re mad busy to gobble down a sandwich at your desk, and I used to do that...but I believe in the importance in getting out of your work place and into the fresh air to break your day up.

When teaching in college, the staff canteen or the odd Friday a few of the nearby cafes with colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Quick tuna sangwidge in the canteen. Will be on 4 or 5 WebEx calls most of the day, free sometime around 12:00 I believe.

The call due to end at 12:00 overran to 13:00, so had a quick tuna sambo at 13:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

I bring a sandwich and fruit everyday. Eat in the canteen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I bring my lunch as I like to have a cooked meal in the evening. Ham and cheese tomorrow....and the day after.....and the day after too. I probably need to mix it up a bit, but ham and cheese is so handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement