Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power bank mains charger

Options
  • 01-07-2019 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I bought a power bank without a mains charger. I used a phone charger and it almost melted it. What type of mains charger/adapter do I need which can be used to safely charge it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Power banks typically do not come with a mains charger, just a USB cable. Is there a data plate on the power bank showing how many amps it can handle?

I'd be concerned if a phone charger stressed it, a 10" tablet charger might deliver too many amps but a phone charger should be ok. The charger you used - what phone was it supplied with and what make and model is the power bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

coylemj wrote: »
    Power banks typically do not come with a mains charger, just a USB cable. Is there a data plate on the power bank showing how many amps it can handle?

I'd be concerned if a phone charger stressed it, a 10" tablet charger might deliver too many amps but a phone charger should be ok. The charger you used - what phone was it supplied with and what make and model is the power bank?

This is the link to the power bank in power city trust 21149 10000mah https://powercity.ie/product/T21149

I've attached a pic of the details the charger. Im not sure which phone it's from but all are low to mid cost samsungs like js or as. There is still a really strong burning smell from the charger 3 days later

Heres pic of powerbank
    In :5v=2A out 1: 5v=1A out 2: 5v=2.1a

The power bank product website says it can take a 2A charge which is what the Samsung charger says it can deliver so according to the specs. of the two devices, they should work fine without any overload i.e. neither the charger or battery should overheat.

https://www.trust.com/en/product/21149-primo-powerbank-10-000-mah

There are fake versions of that Samsung charger out there and they are prone to overheat - are you sure the charger is genuine Samsung? Did it come with the phone and did you buy from a reputable supplier?

https://lygte-info.dk/review/USBpower%20Samsung%20ETA-U90UWE%20UK.html

The power bank product website says it can take a 2A charge which is what the Samsung charger says it can deliver so according to the specs. of the two devices, they should work fine without any overload i.e. neither the charger or battery should overheat.

https://www.trust.com/en/product/21149-primo-powerbank-10-000-mah

There are fake versions of that Samsung charger out there and they are prone to overheat - are you sure the charger is genuine Samsung? Did it come with the phone and did you buy from a reputable supplier?

https://lygte-info.dk/review/USBpower%20Samsung%20ETA-U90UWE%20UK.html

Pretty sure it came with the phone and always buy from main retailer. It was plugged in for a number of hours. The charger still works so mustn't have done any actual damage to it but still smells. I'll maybe just charge it with a different charger in short intervals and dump the other one to be safe. Thanks for your help

• Advertisement

I have a 2A Samsung charger, it came with a Samsung 10" tablet and it goes stone cold when the tablet is charged. It sounds like that charger is faulty, I'd bin it.

You said the charger came with a low or mid-price Samsung but you're not sure which model. I've been on mid-priced Samsung phones for a few years now and the chargers for those phones are 1.5A, not 2A. Unless you got it with one of those Galaxy models with the big screens?

I have a 2A Samsung charger, it came with a Samsung 10" tablet and it goes stone cold when the tablet is charged. It sounds like that charger is faulty, I'd bin it.

You said the charger came with a low or mid-price Samsung but you're not sure which model. I've been on mid-priced Samsung phones for a few years now and the chargers for those phones are 1.5A, not 2A. Unless you got it with one of those Galaxy models with the big screens?

Unless its a Samsung tablet charger. It wasn't my charger but thought they were all the same

Unless its a Samsung tablet charger. It wasn't my charger but thought they were all the same

What I'm reading between the lines is that that charger is of unknown provenance. Throw it in the bin.

Advertisement