Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan resumes commercial Whaling

Options
  • 01-07-2019 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

If you're outraged by this blatant, arrogant, ignorant, selfish disregard for a species, there is PLENTY you can do

1). Switch to a non-Japanese Asian brand when you buy your next car

2). Switch to a non-Japanese brand when you buy your next home entertainment product

Pretty soon, the likes of Sony, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, etc. will let the Japanese government know that sales are being affected.

No need to waste time contacting their embassy, a kick in the pocket will do just fine.

They ain't exactly dolphin friendly either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

No replies in 3 hours - strange

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

So how do you suppose the aul Japanese gubbermint will know that you're not buying a Honda (made in Swindon btw) because of some unfortunate fishing practices?

So how do you suppose the aul Japanese gubbermint will know that you're not buying a Honda (made in Swindon btw) because of some unfortunate fishing practices?

First up, thanks for replying.

It would be an accumulative process -

"Hey, all our manufacturers are losing sales because their potential customers don't agree with skewering creatures alive and dragging them out of their environment simply because they don't have either weapons or legal rights"

Glad you raised the point of how many employees Honda have in Swindon, hopefully they decide to strike as a protest against whaling.

Your "unfortunate fishing practice" is my "concerted massacre of sea mammals".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Yes. I'll join you on this. I will look out for a petition of some sort to sign up to to let the Japanase government know a sizable amount of people are doing this.

Japanese Embassy,
    Nutley Building,
    Merrion Centre,
    Nutley Lane,
    Dublin 4
    D04 RP73

Tel: 01 202 8300
    Fax: 01 283 8726 (General)

Maybe they'd be happy to supply a list of Japanese companies whose products are available in Ireland?

We may not be be able to prevent them from skewering sea mammals alive but we don't have to sponsor it!

Audi, BWM, Ford, Volkswagen, Volvo, etc.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it's legal to post unwanted, Japanese home entertainment products to the above address?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Utterly pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I wonder if it's legal to post unwanted, Japanese home entertainment products to the above address?

Post them to me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

If their war crimes in WWII didn't stop me buying 50 odd japanese cars, a few whales aint gonna.

Do you own anything chinese, vietnamese or korean made? (I bet you do) you know they eat dogs :eek:

Witcher wrote: »
    Utterly pointless

Not completely, please consider it : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

No replies in 3 hours - strange

Its low down on the list of things to be outraged about at the moment.

Post them to me if you want.

Can I tip a skip in your garden? it's all good stuff, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Are the particular whale species they are hunting endangered?

If not, while I still don't agree with it, I don't find it any more objectionable than any of the other 50 billion-ish animals killed for humanity's enjoyment each year.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Its low down on the list of things to be outraged about at the moment.

Fair point, lots of other concerns worldwide but can't think of anything I can do about Syria for instance.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Are the particular whale species they are hunting endangered?

If not, while I still don't agree with it, I don't find it any more objectionable than any of the other 50 billion-ish animals killed for humanity's enjoyment each year.

Agricultural livestock are stunned first (I think) not skewered alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Fair point, lots of other concerns worldwide but can't think of anything I can do about Syria for instance.

The topic would probably be suited better in the current affairs forum.

If their war crimes in WWII didn't stop me buying 50 odd japanese cars, a few whales aint gonna.

Do you own anything chinese, vietnamese or korean made? (I bet you do) you know they eat dogs :eek:

The general consensus has shifted in about 70 years I would say but not everyone has moved with it.

Also, the Berlin Wall is long gone so popular opinion matters.

I think there has been a recent shift regarding the eating of dogs in those countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can I tip a skip in your garden? it's all good stuff, honest!

What kind of consoles/games/tvs are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think the way it was done in previous boycotts, was everytime somebody bought a non-Japanese product, they emailed or wrote a letter to the company and/or the embassy explaining their reasoning for not choosing a Japanese product.

That was for the non-commercial/banned/'For Science' whaling, which was deemed excessive a couple of years ago.

This is the first time that they have allowed commercial whaling again, since 1988..
    I'm surprised this isn't bigger news tbh.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/japan-whalers-bring-ashore-27-feet-minke-whale-say-was-worth-waiting-for-31-years-2062379

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I'm outraged but feel a bit helpless. Cruel nation.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I think the way it was done in previous boycotts, was everytime somebody bought a non-Japanese product, they emailed or wrote a letter to the company and/or the embassy explaining their reasoning for not choosing a Japanese product.

That was for the non-commercial/banned whaling, which was deemed excessive a couple of years ago.

This is the first time that they have allowed commercial whaling again, since 1988..
    I'm surprised this isn't bigger news tbh.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/japan-whalers-bring-ashore-27-feet-minke-whale-say-was-worth-waiting-for-31-years-2062379

Completely agree, people have no idea how important economics are.

A fierce backlash to this could easily result in a rapid cessation of such a barbaric practice.

Highly intelligent creatures being skewered alive, simply because they have neither a means to retaliate or legal representation.

Thanks for contributing!

What kind of consoles/games/tvs are we talking about?

I'm not being entirely serious about having good stuff, I just reckoned that posting a clapped out stereo to the Japanese Embassy would be a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

The general consensus has shifted in about 70 years I would say but not everyone has moved with it.

Also, the Berlin Wall is long gone so popular opinion matters.

I think there has been a recent shift regarding the eating of dogs in those countries?

Ah selective activism it is so. No unilateral outrage, just be angry at whatever suits. Like vegans at a festival in a working dairy farm, it's grand though, they're not eating meat - just ket.

You think there has been a recent shift? The thit chó i had last year tells me different.

I'm outraged but feel a bit helpless. Cruel nation.

You're not helpless, Japan is hugely reliant on exports and any perceived threat to exports will be taken seriously.

There's also an annual Dolphin Massacre that takes place somewhere in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Pretty soon, the likes of Sony, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, etc. will let the Japanese government know that sales are being affected.

To be honest, I don't really care about whaling. You'll probably find it's not something most people take into consideration when buying cars or electronics. The only Japanese products I use are made by Sony and Nintendo.

Ah selective activism it is so. No unilateral outrage, just be angry at whatever suits. Like vegans at a festival in a working dairy farm, it's grand though, they're not eating meat - just ket.

You think there has been a recent shift? The thit chó i had last year tells me different.

Can't do everything.

Total isolation isn't practical.

Didn't say it had ceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

You're not helpless, Japan is hugely reliant on exports and any perceived threat to exports will be taken seriously.

There's also an annual Dolphin Massacre that takes place somewhere in Japan.

I hope all the whaling ships sink

antix80 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't really care about whaling. You'll probably find it's not something most people take into consideration when buying cars or electronics. The only Japanese products I use are made by Sony and Nintendo.

Ok, not everyone cares : (

I hope all the whaling ships sink

Contributing to Sea Shepherd might help with that ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

If you're outraged by this blatant, arrogant, ignorant, selfish disregard for a species, there is PLENTY you can do

1). Switch to a non-Japanese Asian brand when you buy your next car

2). Switch to a non-Japanese brand when you buy your next home entertainment product

No need to waste time contacting their embassy, a kick in the pocket will do just fine.

They ain't exactly dolphin friendly either!

What you don't seem to realise is that Japan have been doing this non stop for the past 30 years anyway. They just called it scientific research. The difference now is that they are no longer hiding behind the scientific tag any more and are admitting to whaling for commercial and food purposes.

For example, under this new whaling act, Japan will only hunt whales in its own waters and will no longer hunt whales in artic waters. They have given a quota of 227 whales to 5 ships.

To put this into perspective, in 2016 when they were still "abiding" by international rules, they killed 333 whales.

Bottom line is, nothing has changed. Whaling yearly for the past 30 years has not affected their car sales, its not going to affect them now.

By the way, I am against whaling on a personal level but there is little that can be done, nothing has worked for the last number of decades.

Advertisement