Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan resumes commercial Whaling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

Some People aren't happy until the wipe every single creature off the planet. If we as a race continue like this, I don't think it will be long before nature hits back and our number is up.

Whaling I think should have a world wide ban and economic sanctions on any country from carrying it out....Whales are far too intelligent of beings to just be slaughtering them.

Trump style levy's should be placed on all Japanese goods world wide until they stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ZiabR wrote: »
    For example, under this new whaling act, Japan will only hunt whales in its own waters and will no longer hunt whales in artic waters. They have given a quota of 227 whales to 5 ships.
    To put this into perspective, in 2016 when they were still "abiding" by international rules, they killed 333 whales.
    Bottom line is, nothing has changed. Whaling yearly for the past 30 years has not affected their car sales, its not going to affect them now.

Just to point out.. The 227 is for 5 ships for 6 months.

During the moratorium/ban they have been killing up to 1200 per year.
    So it would be fair to assume the figures that they have been killing in their seas will (at least) likely double.
    Obviously the 'for science' was a cover to kill them as food, as after 31 years a massive portion of the population would have no idea what Whale tastes like.

Incidentally, they reason that Japan have lifted the ban, is because they left the IWC who wouldn't lift the moratorium for them. But you have to ask why would they, when Japan weren't really ever properly abiding to it in the first place.

Where they can Whale:
    "Within its 12 mile coastal waters, Japan can do whatever it wants," Donald Rothwell, professor of international law at the Australian National University, told the BBC.
    Beyond that, in its 200 miles (322km) exclusive economic zone and of course the high seas, the country is bound by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

NaFirinne wrote: »
    Some People aren't happy until the wipe every single creature off the planet. If we as a race continue like this, I don't think it will be long before nature hits back and our number is up.

Sorry, what? Are you implying we are going to feel the wrath of god or some divine being? Thats not how the world works sadly. We are a cancer of this planet with no regard for the natural world or the species that we share it with.
    Whaling I think should have a world wide ban and economic sanctions on any country from carrying it out....Whales are far too intelligent of beings to just be slaughtering them.

Yet, we as the most intelligent species on the planet have no problem slaughtering 1,000s of innocent men, women and children every year. Political gain and financial security will always rule the world sadly. There are always those who want power or to just do their own thing. Japan have exercised what it believes to be its right for centuries. They will never end whaling in my eyes. Even if they were to agree to is, whaling would still take place.
    Trump style levy's should be placed on all Japanese goods world wide until they stop.

Nonsense, Trump is the very reason parts of the world are more unstable now then they were under Obama. Trump lives in his own world and thinks that by pushing countries around means they will eventually roll over and submit. America are playing a very dangerous game at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Suckit wrote: »
    Just to point out.. The 227 is for 5 ships for 6 months.

During the moratorium/ban they have been killing up to 1200 per year.
    So it would be fair to assume the figures that they have been killing in their seas will (at least) likely double.
    Obviously the 'for science' was a cover to kill them as food, as after 31 years a massive portion of the population would have no idea what Whale tastes like.

Incidentally, they reason that Japan have lifted the ban, is because they left the IWC who wouldn't lift the moratorium for them. But you have to ask why would they, when Japan weren't really ever properly abiding to it in the first place.

Where they can Whale:

Fair points, but my argument still stands. As I mentioned, nothing has changed and nothing will change when it comes to Japan and whaling. It is just back in the lime light now that they have officially said they will resume whaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Can't do everything.

Total isolation isn't practical.

Didn't say it had ceased.

No worries, I don't disagree with your outrage, I am just a hoor for being contrary, I am too well up on the futility of certain endeavours, and would implore you to point your enthusiasm for change towards something closer to home, perhaps local - where you can make a real difference that you can see and feel yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

ZiabR wrote: »
    What you don't seem to realise is that Japan have been doing this non stop for the past 30 years anyway. They just called it scientific research. The difference now is that they are no longer hiding behind the scientific tag any more and are admitting to whaling for commercial and food purposes.

Well aware of all that, but now seems a pertinent time to bring peoples' attention to it as it may be perceived as a "current issue" by many.

Link to Sea Shepherd:

https://www.seashepherd.org.uk/

For anyone who still thinks that popular opinion is irrelevant, consider the recent withdrawal of sponsorship from Greyhound racing.

For anyone who thinks along the lines of "ah, sure it's always been like that", I'll just reference the Dark Ages - not so many witches getting persecuted these days!

Advertisement