Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New AV Receiever / Amp - how best to set up?

• 01-07-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Morning, tech types

Bought a Yamaha RXV485 - 4 x HDMI in, 1 x HDMI out. 1 x optical in.

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-rxv485-titanium.html

If I run 4 x components, Sky box, PS4, Android Box, CD / DVD Player in via HDMI and 1 x HDMI out to TV, I guess that's all the components sent to Amp and TV.

But if I want to use on-TV apps - Netflix, All4, etc., do I have to use an Optical out from TV back to amp for sound direct from TV?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Sorry, I don't run a TV on my Amp so don't have experience of this but isn't your problem exactly what ARC on HDMI was designed to solve?

ARC is audio return channel, essentially allowing audio to go from your tv to your amp via the same HDMI connection through which the amp sends video to your TV. I've never set it up but I'm sure a bit of googling will find you an easy guide or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't run a TV on my Amp so don't have experience of this but isn't your problem exactly what ARC on HDMI was designed to solve?

ARC is audio return channel, essentially allowing audio to go from your tv to your amp via HDMI. I've never set it up but I'm sure a bit of googling will find you an easy guide or two.

Thanks for that. Presumed HDMI was one way but will look into that.

To be clear ARC should send the audio from your TV to your amp along the same HDMI connection through which the amp is sending video to the TV. It's a two way flow along a single HDMI cable.

The main limiting factor is whether your TV has ARC, and if so whether it has it for surround sound. Some other limitations on newer surround sound formats arise. Check your TV manual for it.

Here's a decent rundown :

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

To be clear ARC should send the audio from your TV to your amp along the same HDMI connection through which the amp is sending video to the TV. It's a two way flow along a single HDMI cable.

The main limiting factor is whether your TV has ARC, and if so whether it has it for surround sound. Some other limitations on newer surround sound formats arise. Check your TV manual for it.

Here's a decent rundown :

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

Grateful for the link and now understand. Thanks. I'll check the TV capabilities when I get home. Running an optical out to amp is not a big hassle so will default to that if arc is not equipped and / or more than 2 channel.

Fair play.

@CrankyHaus, all set up now and working great.

Went without ARC for a reason I didn't see coming... that input on the TV is right-angled, for some reason, and we have wall-mount so it wouldn't fit, physically. Optical out is sorted.

Thanks again.

PS - great amp for the price

• Advertisement

@CrankyHaus, all set up now and working great.

Went without ARC for a reason I didn't see coming... that input on the TV is right-angled, for some reason, and we have wall-mount so it wouldn't fit, physically. Optical out is sorted.

Thanks again.

PS - great amp for the price

It looks great. It feels too soon for me to upgrade my amp but I am tempted. Does the Virtual Presence deliver what it promises?

It looks great. It feels too soon for me to upgrade my amp but I am tempted. Does the Virtual Presence deliver what it promises?

The sound stage is very wide and rich bit without that over-engineered spacey surround effect.

Haven't had time yet to spend much time on EQ, setup, etc. but very impressive so far.

Advertisement