Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB 75% car insurance discount

• 01-07-2019 1:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

So when I was at the bank recently I was asked if I drive a car. I was then told that I could get a discount by going through AIB car insurance. I said "what's the catch?". She just said "I wouldn't imagine there would be any"!

So if you're claims free for 5 or more years, you can get a 75% discount by insuring your car through AIB with AXA. So that means my car insurance would be less than €150. What's the catch with these things? I asked if you get tied into a contract with AXA and she said that you don't. So I agreed that they could give me a call a week before my insurance is up for renewal.

Or do they just up the price by 75% and then take 75% off it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Did you get a quote, no way will it be less than 150.

No doubt, somewhere in the small print there will be a "subject to a minimum of €???"

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

The numbers they provide are fairly meaningless, it seems to be very common practice to quote a large number, then knock 75% off it leaving you with a figure somewhere in the ballpark of what you have been quoted elsewhere (you won't be getting 75% off what you normally expect to pay). Of course, if you have a claim, you'll likely be quoted an even larger number with no 75% off.

Like I said, its at the bottom of the page on their site:

"All discounts are applied on a reducing balance basis and are subject to a minimum premium of €333. Some discounts are mutually exclusive."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Gooser14

It will be 75% off the basic cover premium which is not what you pay if you have accumulated no claim bonus years. Effectively they seem to be offering a greater NCB discount than other insurance companies. The max NCB discount I get with my insurance company is 52%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

https://aib.ie/our-products/insurance/car-insurance
    All discounts are applied on a reducing balance basis and are subject to a minimum premium of €333. Some discounts are mutually exclusive.

Also, all insurers have substantial no-claim discounts. Aviva's is 50%, Liberty 64%, Axa 75%. Since the base premium will vary substantially, the % figures are meaningless. I'd rather have a quote from Aviva with a premium figure of €700 over a quote from AIB where the premium is €1600

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The 75% is just the max level on Axa's no-claims-discount scale which is reached after 5 years claim free driving.

Compare the quote you get with a quote from Axa's own website and see what the difference is.

It's definitely not 75% off your current policy price. But if it's cheaper than any other quote then happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Never deal with a bank for any class of insurance. Just my advice after nearly 40 years in the business. In this instance, as others have pointed out, 75% off what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So when I was at the bank recently I was asked if I drive a car. I was then told that I could get a discount by going through AIB car insurance. I said "what's the catch?". She just said "I wouldn't imagine there would be any"!

So if you're claims free for 5 or more years, you can get a 75% discount by insuring your car through AIB with AXA. So that means my car insurance would be less than €150. What's the catch with these things? I asked if you get tied into a contract with AXA and she said that you don't. So I agreed that they could give me a call a week before my insurance is up for renewal.

As my father used to say, "" they saw you coming ".

Anyone who thinks this is going to be a good deal needs to get out more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

phildin wrote: »
    The numbers they provide are fairly meaningless, it seems to be very common practice to quote a large number, then knock 75% off it leaving you with a figure somewhere in the ballpark of what you have been quoted elsewhere (you won't be getting 75% off what you normally expect to pay). Of course, if you have a claim, you'll likely be quoted an even larger number with no 75% off.
    It's a very unusual sales ploy. First of all, no one will flat out fall for it. If they said 20%, the some people might fall for it.

• Advertisement

As my father used to say, "" they saw you coming ".
    I don't get it?

Never deal with a bank for any class of insurance. Just my advice after nearly 40 years in the business. In this instance, as others have pointed out, 75% off what??
    I believe you, but I'd be interested in hearing a few stories!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't get it?

You might get it if you read /quoted my post in full.

In any case I think you've proved my point.

Advertisement