Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Macbook

Options
  • 01-07-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hoping someone can advise me. I'm looking for a Macbook, but have been a PC user all my life so don't know where to start.

I know I need it to have the following MAC OS to run the software I need.

macOS Sierra (10.12)
    macOS High Sierra (10.13)
    macOS Mojave (10.14)

Other than that I'll use it for basic documents/spreadsheets, internet, and maybe a little design work (on Photoshop ideally, but I double I'll find a machine powerful enough- I can always use Canva).

Will I be able to get anything like this for under €450?

Can anyone advise me what I'm looking for?

Would this be ok?
    https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/425886/techyteam-ltd

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That machine is 9 years old. Macs are expensive, you might get something second hand. Have a look at the refurb store on the apple site to see what prices are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I'd strongly advise against that MacBook you have linked to. I have the same model and it is extremely slow and outdated now. You're not going to find a cheap MacBook one way or the other, but have a look at the refurb store and see is there anything you like.

Hackintosh. If it's just for a specific piece of software, there's likely no need to buy the hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd recommend asking in the Mac forum as well

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Maybe try get your work to pay for it if it’s work related, as others have stated stay away from that machine you linked, as a rule of thumb when your looking, if it doesn’t state the year after the name or in the description don’t buy it, as Apple organizes them by year ie Macbook pro late 2018 etc and these sites are generally trying to pull a fast one.

Another thing to consider is unless the Mac is running the latest Mac OS(Mojave) it’s totally unsupported by Apple. Also If it’s over 7 years old Apple, and most authorized retailers will not repair it - the ones you linked are likely ready for the grave already and a few hundred euro still ain’t cheap.

I’ve seen guys have success buying older ones and putting ssd’s in but you would have to have the know how to do that.

On a side note I think either compu B or Iconnect do some sort of financing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is unless the Mac is running the latest Mac OS(Mojave) it’s totally unsupported by Apple. Also If it’s over 7 years old Apple, and most authorized retailers will not repair it - the ones you linked are likely ready for the grave already and a few hundred euro still ain’t cheap.

While I would echo the sentiment about not buying very old models, this isn't true. Apple support older versions of MacOS with security updates and occasional OS updates for at least a few years. El Capitan received what will probably be its last update a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

While I would echo the sentiment about not buying very old models, this isn't true. Apple support older versions of MacOS with security updates and occasional OS updates for at least a few years. El Capitan received what will probably be its last update a year ago.

Let me fix that - I mean technical software related support, not the little security releases.

Advertisement