Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Mainland China uses Bitcoin to move it's private/black money. Hong Kong can only be used to transfer legitimate trading funds through legitimate means, or, the funds are subject to international money laundering laws. So I don't believe this is the case. It is illegal to privately remove money from China, it has to be moved to purchase something via a legitimate business.

Mi6 and/or the CIA are more interested in having an influence over whoever is ruling in Hong Kong. This because their respective countries and their citizens have so much invested interest over there, huge money. By enabling this movement they hope to gain influence down the line.

More than likely the British Foreign office are not satisfied with the amount of influence they have over the current administration, they want more control over what is happening.

Follow the money, that is always where the answers are. This is not some " people's movement" catalyst evolving, it looks highly organised.

Amateurs and two-bit online weed sellers use bitcoin. If you try to cash out a significant amount of bitcoin into a bank account in a regulated country, their tax authorities and financial crime investigators will be on you like white on rice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yurt! wrote: »
    Amateurs and two-bit online weed sellers use bitcoin. If you try to cash out a significant amount of bitcoin into a bank account in a regulated country, their tax authorities and financial crime investigators will be on you like white on rice.

Maybe your right, but that does not mean that M!6 are not involved in the Hong Kong protests. Don't you think?

Gatling wrote: »
    Sure the same posters said the same about the Ukrainian protesters that wanted rid of its russian leadership,
    It's the CIA ,FBI M16

Any here we are again

Why would the FBI be involved in the Ukraine?

Maybe your right, but that does not mean that M!6 are not involved in the Hong Kong protests. Don't you think?

We have no evidence that they are. If there was the Chinese state media wouldn't be slow about sharing it.

We have no evidence that they are. If there was the Chinese state media wouldn't be slow about sharing it.

They stated that they suspect " a foreign invisible hand at play " during this morning's press conference given by the Chinese government. Have you not seen it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why would the FBI be involved in the Ukraine?

Couldn't tell you this was several posters were claiming ,

Seems posters have issues around democracy and believe we should all be under Communist rule for the better good ,

But for anyone to say Hong Kong is being whipped up by foreign agents is totally wrong and unfounded

They stated that they suspect " a foreign invisible hand at play " during this morning's press conference given by the Chinese government. Have you not seen it yet?

I'd be interested in seeing the evidence and would accept it if it was compelling. State media in China since Xi took his throne has been full of "black hand of the west" sentiment, like a rather silly reverse-red scare. They feel sorry for themselves when things don't go their way and shadowy CIA and MI6 forces are useful boogeymen.

Domestically, the Chinese public largely lap it up once with glee. It's propaganda.

Like I said, you're giving intelligence agencies way too much credit. They're not half as clever as you might think they are. It would be an extremely good day at the office if a Rory Stewart type character with ropey Cantonese two years out of Cambridge formented a full scale revolt against Beijing.

Gatling wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you this was several posters were claiming ,

Seems posters have issues around democracy and believe we should all be under Communist rule for the better good ,

But for anyone to say Hong Kong is being whipped up by foreign agents is totally wrong and unfounded

When you think about it, it really is not that far fetched to be honest. All it takes is the current administration to snub the countries of the foreign agents and they are straight in.

Hong Kong is a massive global hub for SE Asia, it is big stuff, there exists substantial foreign interests, not just from the UK or the US.

MI6 seems most likely to me due to the former British interest there, it still exists economically. For that reason alone they are well capable of drumming up trouble to enable a power change and to offer themselves exposure to any vacuum that gets created.

The media interest from the UK compounds this for me also. It is killing two birds, keeping Brexit off the front page and more importantly masking any Mi6 involvement by endorsing the " peoples revolution " theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Why would you believe in something that you have zero evidence of?

Maybe it's foreign agents from Zimbabwe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/new-zealand-legalizes-cryptocurrency-salaries-including-bitcoin-2019-8-1028442320

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Maybe it's foreign agents from Zimbabwe

Actually now that you mention it....

Suckit wrote: »

What I was getting at was that bitcoin isn't used by people laundering large amounts of black-money, you'll get stung when you try to land it in a dollar/euro/sterling denominated account. So yes low-level weed dealers and amateurs launder money using cryptos. There are more sophisticated methods of washing money.

As an aside. Hong Kong police say there is no evidence of foreign hands in the protests. Beijing talking pony about the CIA / MI6.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/14/donald-trump-backs-chinas-xi-jinping-resolve-hong-kong-crisis/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As an aside. Hong Kong police say there is no evidence of foreign hands in the protests. Beijing talking pony about the CIA / MI6.

Seems several boards posters will believe that the British or CIA done all of this ,

Like how dare Hong Kong citizens want to make democratic decision for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You would think that Irish people would understand the legitimate right to self determination and universal suffrage.

I do understand and appreciate it, but I also appreciate the inevitability of China eventually pulling Hong Kong within its governmental structures. Every country has its nationalism, and China sees this as its rightful territory.

It's time for the protesters to declare independence and look for International intervention. Before it is too late to do so.

pauldla wrote: »
    Vids of convoys, helicopter flyovers etc in SZ have been doing the rounds on Wechat for at least a week now. I'm working not too far from the sports centre at SZ Bay and have been thinking about taking a wander by to have a look for myself. Not so sure that's such a good idea though...

Get the **** out of Hong Kong pal. Seriously, time to get out by any means necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apparently r/hongkong got hijacked by a Chinese moderator this week, under control now though I hear. Buddy was talking about one comment on a post that on the span of half an hour went from 4000 upvotes to 5000 downvotes. The post linked to some such or other the Chinese didn’t like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Get the **** out of Hong Kong pal. Seriously, time to get out by any means necessary.

I'm not in HK, I'm in SZ. I appreciate the concern though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Overheal wrote: »
    Apparently r/hongkong got hijacked by a Chinese moderator this week, under control now though I hear. Buddy was talking about one comment on a post that on the span of half an hour went from 4000 upvotes to 5000 downvotes. The post linked to some such or other the Chinese didn’t like

Have you read the comments on newspaper articles and YouTube, they must have a army of barely literate propaganda slaves, generating rubbish for every article.

I was watching the Chinese news tv network earlier, the one funded by the government ( what can I say I like to get all viewpoints) , they are bat**** crazy, they had a video detailing how four anti government people were responsible for Hong Kong protests and need to be brought to justice, the kept jumping from wild assertion to claiming that the video showed undeniable proof of their involvement, without offering any evidence. At one point , they asked "what do Hong Kong people think?" And then showed a video of about 30 people holding a giant slogan responding on command to a guy with a megafone? I mean I hate to be a stick in the mud but I'm pretty sure that does not meet the loosest criteria for random unbiased and anonymous sampling of the population lol. They are bat**** crazy and I would never live there if I had a choice. I can understand why you would be willing to risk death and prison to avoid losing your freedom to those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Full video of what happened at the airport the other day when the officers baton was taken.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Nh6eulLd4/?igshid=eaf1gh0uon8l

The senior police officer in the clip after is saying " " According to the police's report who was at the scene, he had no intention of attacking the female protester. He was trying to help her get back up."

This is what the peaceful protestors have been regularly putting up with. Hence why they turn violent.

Abroad. There was large protests in Australia and New Zealand. Pro-China counter protestors showed up and started insulting and taunting the HK supporters. There was a few scuffles and fights and all were started by the pro-china crowd.
    One ABCNews reporter was attacked too. Funnily enough a lot of them were chanting "if you don't like it then leave you dogs". referring to leave China....ironic seeing as they're not in China and are enjoying the freedom they would never dream of having back home unless they were wealthy with government connections.
    Much like Jackie Chan and the actor who portrayed Disneys, Mulan. Both shouting about how they support China yet...don't live there.

I urge you all to follow /r/HongKong on reddit and https://twitter.com/anti_elab to get a better picture of whats happening.

The China peddled propaganda is insane. State sponsored media is now making posters and news articles calling Hong Kongers cockroaches.
    There was also an incident in the airport where a mainlander threw himself down the stairs in order to make it look like Hong Kongers did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Full video of what happened at the airport the other day when the officers baton was taken.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Nh6eulLd4/?igshid=eaf1gh0uon8l

The senior police officer in the clip after is saying " " According to the police's report who was at the scene, he had no intention of attacking the female protester. He was trying to help her get back up."

This is what the peaceful protestors have been regularly putting up with. Hence why they turn violent.

In that instance, it did look like he was trying to help. He didn't push anyone, he shouted them to go back and when he was picking her up he put the baton into his other hand..

To me, it looks like he was trying to pick her up. Although he may have been the cause of her losing her balance, compared to some of the other cops, he didn't seem that forceful. In that instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Article from the journal today from Hong Kongers living in Ireland.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/hong-kong-people-in-ireland-discuss-protests-4768617-Aug2019/
    And another
    https://www.thejournal.ie/hong-kong-protests-8-4770685-Aug2019/

Tomorrow (Sunday) is shaping up to be a big day for protests. I'm quite nervous as how it's going to be handled. It's going to be one of the biggest protests yet. Protestors are saying they're going to try keep it as peaceful as possible but I won't hold my breath for the police and mainlanders to play ball

For live by the minute updates you can keep an eye on https://www.reddit.com/live/133sixros7tu5
    Apple Daily will also be livestreaming it as per usual: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeqUUXaM75wrK5Aalo6UorQ

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Why so many United Statian flags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah I dunno, this is a bit OTT. Do you know anyone living/working in Hong Kong?

The protests are quite widespread at the weekends, and the airport situation was a bit chaotic, but life is generally running as normal in Hong Kong right now. There is plenty of scare-mongering that China will deploy the PLA any day now, but I think it's such a drastic step that I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

archer22 wrote: »
    Seems to me like the real agenda of those trying to stroke up fear and paranoia in Hong Kong, is to create an independence movement.

Carrie Lam has already shown a willingness to compromise and be flexible.
    But they seem to have no interest in compromise or dialogue.

And if they continue on that path then I think their crushing by the PLA is pretty inevitable.
    Sorry but just noticed this post.......what absolute nonsense. Carrie Lam is every bit the arrogant, blinkered stooge of Beijing. If she'd responded in a more positive fashion to people's legitimate concerns back when the protests first started, we wouldn't be where we are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I hope all this messing doesn't delay AliExpress,. I'm waiting on a parcel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

100,000 k people have marched.

That is similar to the number in tiananmen square and HK has nowhere near the same population.

Hongkongese people will never allow china to call them chinese again.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hong-kong-people-in-ireland-discuss-protests-4768617-Aug2019/
    Hong Kong citizens in Ireland on why they support the protests

For most Irish people the hongkongese community is indistinguishable from the Chinese community. Even though they speak different languages.

None of the Hongkongese living in Ireland would give their real names.

Tom
    Tom, who did not want to use his full name, has been living in Ireland for several years. He remains passionate about the protests in Hong Kong.
    He has not returned to the city since 2014 and says it has changed “quite a bit” since then.
    “We wouldn’t like to see Tiananmen Square happen again, but where is it going to end?
    “Some of the protesters, they are desperate. They are thinking, ‘If I’m going to die anyway, kill me quickly now and let the whole world see it’.”
    Several apparent suicides have been reported in which those who died potentially mentioned the protests since they began in June.
    “China are not worried about the death of the people, they are just worried about the economy.
    “A very small amount are fighting for Hong Kong independence. Very few people want this because we need trade with China,” he said.

Pimpho*
    Pimpho is originally from Hong Kong but has been living in Ireland for most of his life. He has taken part in some protests, including the June demonstration attended by an estimated two million people and the 2014 Umbrella Revolution protests.
    “The umbrella protests petered out and there were no government concessions,” he said.
    “This time it’s different. This isn’t because of universal suffrage or a truly democratic government. This time, it was because of the chief executive’s proposal for a new extradition bill.
    “This is where the anger and contempt stems from.”
    The Umbrella Revolution saw tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters holding large scale sit-ins on busy streets and demonstrations outside government headquarters in 2014.
    “The umbrella movement was mainly with younger people. But this time, you have younger and older generations getting involved.
    People are coming out in the sweltering heat and high levels of humidity to protest.
    He said that not many people in Ireland seem to understand what is going on in Hong Kong right now.
    “I see people in Ireland making jokes and taking screenshots of their TVs reporting on the violence and making sarcastic jokes.”
    He is one of several who believe the protests may continue for much longer.
    “It has to get worse before it gets better… I think it could become a modern day Tiananmen Square.
    “China didn’t care as much at that time about the view of the international community, but now they do.
    “The protesters aren’t backing down, the government isn’t backing down – where is it going to end?
    “The streets are quieter nowadays. At night, no one goes out because you don’t know who you’re going to meet.”
    I never could have imagined Hong Kong turning out like this.
    Hazel Ip
    Ip moved to Ireland in 2015 and said the current protests are something she has “never seen before”.
    “I don’t think this is a well-known issue in Ireland,” she said. “I see it on the news now, but the reason is not always explained.”
    Ip was involved in a Hong Kong solidarity protest outside the GPO in June attended by around 20 or 30 people.
    “Hong Kong people are known to be forgetful when it comes to political issues [but] it is very important to Hong Kong people now to keep this going,” she said, describing how the protesters saw the opportunity as “something more important than just the bill itself”.
    She described the incident on 21 July as a “turning point”. On that day, a crowd of men in white shirts attacked anti-government protesters in a metro station in Yuen Long.
    Demonstrators accused police of not acting quickly enough, or at all, to prevent the incident. Police officers admitted afterwards that there were gaps in their response to the events.
    “People started to get involved [in the protests after that] because of the police violence,” Ip said.
    “Police are supposed to protect people, but they are not doing that because they disagree with the protesters.”
    ?width=630&version=4769211 Protesters at Hong Kong International airport on 12 August. Source: Kin Cheung
    Adrian Lok
    Lok has been living in Ireland for the past 10 years. He is supportive of the protests and hopes the extradition bill is fully withdrawn.
    This bill would allow accused criminal suspects in HK to be extradited to mainland China, Taiwan and Macau. Protesters fear this could be used to extradite HK citizens who speak out against China and bring them to the mainland for punishment.
    “It seems like the government is trying to make the public think it is total chaos,” said Lok.
    “China is a lot different now to the 1989 Tiananmen Square incident, they have a lot more to lose in terms of global trade.”
    The Tiananmen Square protests in 1989 were demonstrations led by students in Beijing which led to military involvement and a large number of people being killed.
    Details of this incident have been limited and the Communist Party of China does not allow the event to be discussed. Several people told TheJournal.ie they feared these protests could escalate to the same level.
    “The protesters are coming in from all spectrums. I don’t think it is all young people anymore,” he said.
    “After 2014, people were more open to the idea that if you are fighting for something, there will be violence. They tried the fully peaceful protests and they didn’t work.”
    Lok was involved in protests in Ireland at the time of the 2014 Umbrella Revolution, but he has not engaged with the recent GPO sit-ins.
    He said this is due in part to rumours spread after the 2014 protests that the Chinese Embassy was using facial recognition software on the images of the GPO protesters to identify those opposed to China.
    Lok said the group removed their Facebook pages and pictures as a result of fears about this.
    Bowie
    Bowie, who did not want to use her full name, has been living in Ireland for the past 10 years and recently went back to Hong Kong for a visit. She was there at the time of the Yuen Long incident in the train station.
    “The next day, I went to go to the local shopping mall and it was very strange. All the shops were closed down and everybody was afraid to go out and get public transport,” she said.
    “The majority of HK people don’t really go to protests more than once a year against the government… This time is very different.
    “The violence side is not coming solely from the protesters, it is from the police and government.”
    Bowie says that Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam is “only giving out to the protesters” rather than trying to solve the issue and address the demands.
    Lam has been holding regular press conferences in recent weeks where she has been accused of avoiding questions.
    The protesters have a list of five demands, along with the resignation of Lam.
    • A complete withdrawal of the extradition bill
    • Charges dropped against protesters who were arrested
    • The government retracting its use of ‘riot’ to refer to the protests
    • An independent investigation into police brutality
    • Implementation of universal suffrage
    “Hong Kong is a very high density city. It is not suitable for police to use tear gas there,” said Bowie.
    The Civil Human Rights Front—civil society groups that have organised several major protest rallies— has announced its plans for another large scale march this Sunday.
    “I hope the government can hear people having a voice… China doesn’t seem to be helping and the HK government is not even listening,” she added.
    “I think lots of people like me who are living overseas can only help by signing online petitions and showing support.
    “The government has the power to solve the problems, not the protesters.
    “I don’t like fighting. I don’t want people to be hurt, it’s very sad. I don’t know how they can make it happen, but I wish them the best in reaching a conclusion.”
    Many people have been injured in the protests so far, including a woman who was shot in the eye with an alleged beanbag round. She has become a figurehead for many protesters.
    ?width=630&version=4769669 Protesters at Hong Kong airport on 12 August. Source: Vincent Thian
    Lucy*
    Hong Konger Lucy has been living abroad for half her life, but says she fully supports the protests back home.
    “The last couple of months, my work colleagues can tell I am a little bit down,” she said.
    “Some people would just kind of sympathise, but they wouldn’t know fully what’s going on.
    She said that some of the older people she knows in Hong Kong haven’t been taking sides, but she doesn’t see this as an option now. Lucy has attended some of the GPO sit-ins and said the group got a few good responses from people on the issue.
    “There was a bus driver going past our sit-in and he beeped at us and gave us a thumbs up… The world can see now that China is interfering in Hong Kong.
    “Every time there is a police press conference or any media gathering with police, it creates chaos and encourages people to protest more because they want to know what’s going on.
    “It will keep going until they get their demands,” she said.
    Peg Chiu
    Chiu moved away from Hong Kong several years ago, but a lot of her family members remain in the city.
    “I am angry at the government. They aren’t handing the situation well at all,” she said.
    “My family home is in Wong Tai Sin, which got tear gassed.”
    Protesters and police clashed in this area earlier this month, leading to tear gas, rubber bullets, sponge grenades and pepper spray used by police
    ?width=630&version=4769090 Police fire tear gas into a crowd in Wong Tai Sin on 3 August. Source: AP/PA Images
    “When I talk with my friends, they do know what is going on. Just not enough,” said Chiu.
    “I think the most important thing is the government. The Chief Executive needs to respond to the needs of the people.
    She really needs to respect the voice of two million people.
    “One of my friends got delayed in the airport protests, but they don’t blame the protesters. They blame the government,” said Chiu.
    Sunny
    Sunny has been living in Ireland for a few months and was involved in Hong Kong protests in the past.
    “At first, the protests were peaceful but now it is more aggressive because we tried more peaceful ways and the government didn’t listen,” he said.
    “Protesters really want to pressure the government and let people know what is going on in Hong Kong.
    “The government is trying to paint a picture that the protesters are all rioters, and I don’t think that is the case.”
    Sunny, who did not want to use his full name, was also involved in some of the Dublin sit-ins on the issue.
    “We have no real experience in politics or anything… But we felt the strong need to show up and let people know what is going on.
    “We used to feel from previous protests that the government was at least listening, but as of now, I don’t think that’s the case any longer.
    “I have confidence in the people of Hong Kong that they will keep fighting,” he said.
    Back in Hong Kong, his friends and family are divided between pro-democracy and pro-China.
    “I have a lot of friends similar to my age who, for some reason, are pro-violence and pro-government. I don’t understand it,” he said.
    Finbarr Bermingham
    On the other side, Irish journalist Finbarr Bermingham has been working in Hong Kong for the past five years. He said his life has not been hugely impacted by the protests, but they are hard to watch.
    “The protests escalated this week… the number of violent images really took peoples’ attention,” he said.
    “For most people, the disruption to daily life has been minimal.
    It has been hard to watch a lot of times.
    “I do get WhatsApp messages from friends and family asking me about what’s going on when I wake up after they have watched the evening news.”
    “It’s a very complex situation… It’s happening at a very tricky time.”
    He says that a lot of the tension as the protests continue arises from the inaction of Hong Kong officials in the protests, the perceived overreach of the Chinese government and the footage of police brutality at the protests.
    “It has been very well covered by the local media here… The protests don’t just stumble from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. It’s very confined,” he said.
    *Real name has been changed

You know you are living under a dictatorship when you don't want to give your name to the press and you live in another country half way around the world from that dictatorship.

The protests are quite widespread at the weekends, and the airport situation was a bit chaotic, but life is generally running as normal in Hong Kong right now. There is plenty of scare-mongering that China will deploy the PLA any day now, but I think it's such a drastic step that I don't see it happening.

And if you’re wrong and it does happen?

OMG the ignorance.

I think the man is austrailian ..i am actually disgusted.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by dwayneshintzy View Post

I do. Also Hongkongese born here with family back in HongKong.

Advertisement